[1.1] Giddy-up!

Started by Roolo, December 01, 2017, 04:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roolo

Update:
v1.1.3
- Removed log messages
- Properly mirror the x offset of overlays when a pawn is facing west.

Quote from: SargBjornson on February 23, 2019, 03:11:02 AM
Teaser :)

That looks lovely! I just released an update so the overlays are mirrored properly. Let me know if you need anything else.

SargBjornson

I ran into a roadblock, let's see if you have found a way around it: the MetaOverlays are not affected by weather or game light conditions. This means the saddles are always the same brightness. It doesn't affect most graphics, EXCEPT for the times when you want the creatures' horns, for example, to be drawn over the pawn. In these cases, the result looks fine during the day, but terrible during the night...

Do you thin k there could even be a fix?

SargBjornson

huh, solution was stupid, just removing <shaderType>MetaOverlay</shaderType> everywhere...

The question then becomes... WTF is a MetaOverlay, and why did you use it on the Caribou, but not on the Ibex hahaha

Roolo

Quote from: SargBjornson on February 25, 2019, 05:21:09 AM
huh, solution was stupid, just removing <shaderType>MetaOverlay</shaderType> everywhere...

The question then becomes... WTF is a MetaOverlay, and why did you use it on the Caribou, but not on the Ibex hahaha

No idea actually xD. Hmm I'm curious, I never noticed mounted caribous having weird heads/antlers at night. But it's probably best if I remove the shadertype for caribous as well.

SargBjornson

I just released it, everythings seems to be working ok.

I was thinking, now that I have the graphics I might as well apply the saddles to vanilla animals too, but first I wanted to ask if you'd be OK with that!

Roolo

Quote from: SargBjornson on February 26, 2019, 09:55:16 AM
I just released it, everythings seems to be working ok.

I was thinking, now that I have the graphics I might as well apply the saddles to vanilla animals too, but first I wanted to ask if you'd be OK with that!

Yes, I definitely am ok with that! Good luck :) It's probably a good idea to release the vanilla saddles as a separate mod, but that's up to you of course.

Trentennisfigati

Thanks for replying about the Facial Stuff issue! I really hope you'll find some time for a patch,sooner or later :)

Roolo

Update:
Giddy-up! Core -> v1.1.4
- Giddy-up! is now fully compatible again with Facial Stuff out of the box. No longer will you colonists be drawn behind animals when they really shouldn't when using both mods, and no longer it'll appear as if they're "riding" the animal on a "different" (read NSFW) way.
- Gear added by Combat Extended like backpacks and shields are now drawn properly for colonists riding animals.

Quote from: Trentennisfigati on February 26, 2019, 06:28:57 PM
Thanks for replying about the Facial Stuff issue! I really hope you'll find some time for a patch,sooner or later :)
Here you go :)

henk

I found a bug in Giddy-up! Ride and Roll.
-> Using Giddy-up! Ride and Roll v.1.1.1 (Jan 22, 2019) and Giddy-up! Core v.1.1.4 (Mar 2, 2019).

I give you two examples to make it clear:

1. Fixing machines with components:
Worker stands in place 'A' and wants to fix a turret in place 'B' (replacing a component, not just repairing) so he gets on a ride to get there faster.
When the animal taxi arrives at place B he gets off his ride but still needs a component to fix the turret. So far so good but now the trouble starts.
The worker who just arrived in place B still thinks he is in place A (where the fixing task was initiated, before getting on his ride) so he looks for this component in place A instead of B. What does that mean?
He walks aaaaaall the way back to place A to get the component just to walk back to B and fix the turret.
So in short: Start (A) (without component) -> Ride with Animal (to B) (without component) -> walk back (to A) (to get component) -> walk back (to B) (fix turret).
The component he needs could lay just next to the turret (=place B) but he will get to place A anyway. Unless of course the component at the turret is the closest to place A. Or when it's the only stock with this kind of component in the base ^^.

The thing is, I stack my repair components all over my base in order to speed repairs up (keeping walking ways short).
But with Ride and Roll this doesn't work anymore as in the example described.

2. Hunting:
Another thing is the hunt: A hunter gets on a ride to his prey (he is armed with a sniper rifle, for long range). He rides directly in front of the hunted animal, gets off the ride and immediately starts to shoot the animal. The end of this story, the animal starts to rage because the hunter was too close.
I deactivated 'Use animal for hunting' if this makes a difference. So the animal in this scenario is just a taxi and will not take part in the actual hunt. The hunter gets off his ride and shoots his prey on foot.

Solution?:
I guess both examples are caused by the same thing. There should be another routine after a colonist gets off a ride.
In this routine there should be something like 'Start original task again'. If I'm right the hunter will back off a little with his long range weapon and the worker who repairs the machine will look in place B for the closest component to fix his job.
Although I'm not sure this really will work for the hunter. If not maybe something like 'If ride to prey' Then 'Get off 10-20 tiles prior to destination / the animal'.

Or you put even more work into it and create something depending on the job that is done next (but I don't expect something like that :D):
-> ' If doing task where component is needed' Then 'Get component first' (with a ride of an animal first, so the task and the ride are splitted into two tasks / two rides).
-> ' If going for a hunt' Then 'Keep minimum distance according to weapon' (short / middle / long ranged).

But after all I'm no programmer so you tell me what could (or could not) be done in that matter.

Anyway, nice mod collection. Keep it up!
Best regards.