[1.1] Giddy-up!

Started by Roolo, December 01, 2017, 04:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roolo

This series makes animals mountable and I will attempt to let mounts play a role in as many aspects of the game as possible. Each mod that will be released will focus on one (large) aspect. This modular design allows user to choose only the parts they like, and will ease the development process for me.

Important notes
- Requires Hugslib! Make sure it loads before any of the Giddy-up! mods
- I always try to make the mods backwards-compatible with each other, but this is not always possible, so when installing a new mod from the series, I advice you to update the other mods in the series that you already have installed as well.

Giddy-up! Core Core files. This mod does not add anything on it's own but all other Giddy-up mods depend on these core files.
Github releases [A17-1.1]
Steam [1.0,1.1]

Giddy-up! Battle Mounts Lets your pawns charge into battle with mounts!
Steam [1.0,1.1]

Giddy-up! Caravan Let your colonists ride to far lands in caravans!
Steam [1.0,1.1]

Giddy-up! Ride and Roll Let your colonists ride when walking is just too far, and do jobs mounted when possible.
Steam [1.0,1.1]

Giddy-up! Mechanoids Ride mechanoids to battle
Important note: Also depends on What the Hack?!. Put it below What the Hack?! in the load order.
Github releases [B19-1.1]

Compatibility notes
- When using Facial stuff, pawns are always drawn behind animals which doesn't look very nice.
- If you are using this with Vanilla Animal Overhaul, make sure Vanilla Animal Overhaul loads before Giddy-up! does.
- If you use this with the Wild Animal Sex mod, wild animals are also "interested" in the animals your pawns are riding.
- In case you are using this with mods that add really slow animals, make sure these animals are  disabled in the mod settings if you don't want visitors or raiders to use them.
- Asides from these minor issues, other mods should be compatible with Giddy-up!. Please report if you find any other problems.

Notes for other modders
While modded animals are compatible by default, there are various patching possibilities to further improve how your mod works with Giddy-up. These possibilities include: configuring default mod settings for the modded animals, configuring what animals certain factions can use, setting custom drawing offsets for pawns riding animals, and allowing animals with life stages other than the final life stage to be mounted. Instructions on how to patch Giddy-up! are on the GitHub page of Giddy-up! Core.

Languages

- English
- Japanese (by Proxyer)
- Simplified Chinese (by LingLuo)
- Korean (by LazyDog)
- French (by kaptain_kavern)
- Spanish (by Sam)
- Russian (by Garr Incorporated)
- German (by RoffeIchen)

The core files for the Giddy-up! series. Does not add anything on its own but the other mods in the series depend on it.

Download
Github releases
Steam

Contributing
- Translations are very welcome. You can make a pull request on github if you want to add in translations, or you can contact me by sending a friend request.
- If you developed a mod adding animals, you can contact me so we can make a patch that ensures that the default mod options (forbidding animals and setting drawing priorities) are configured well for your mod.

Permissions
Feel free to add this mod to modpacks or to use the code or icons for other projects. Do however not release exact copies of my project, or exact copies with minor adjustments without my consent.

Giddy-up! Let your pawns charge into battle with mounts!

Dependencies
Hugslib and Giddy-up! Core. Make sure the load order is Hugslib->Giddy-up! Core->Giddy-up! Battle Mounts

Downloads
Github releases
Steam

Features
- With this mod, drafted pawns can mount almost any animal that is large enough.
- What animals can be mounted can be configured in the mod options of Giddy-up! Core.
- Drawing priority (explained in Q&A) can be configured in the mod options of Giddy-up! Core for any animal
- During raids and ambushes, enemy non-tribal pawns have a 20% chance to spawn with a mount, while enemy tribal pawns have a 40% chance. These chances can be configured in the mod options. 
- Mounted pawns have an accuracy penalty, this penalty can be configured in the options.
- Movement speed of mounting pawns will be equal to the speed of the animal it is mounting. This is especially great for pawns with slow movement speeds (by injury or perks).
- Animals that are mounted will attack the target their rider is currently fighting when in range!
- Animals can only be mounted if they have completed obedience training.

Q&A
How do my pawns mount animals?
First make sure the pawn is drafted, then right click the animal and an option to mount should appear.

We need horses! Can we get and ride those?
Sure, the following mod adds horses and other animals: AnimalCollabProj

How about mounting for non-combat situations?
This mod will only focus on combat situations (i.e. mounting for drafted pawns). This mod is part of the Giddy-up! series though, and my aim for that series is to add mounting in as much situations as possible.

Can pawns shoot while the mount they are riding is moving?
Not by default, but they can if you install RunAndGun
I actually really recommend using RunAndGun in combination with this mod as I created RunAndGun with this mod in mind. I mean, what is horse archery if archers have to stop moving to shoot?

Does this work for any animal?
Yes, however, animals below a certain body size are disabled by default. Moreover, for some animals it looks really weird when pawns are drawn on top of them (especially in frontal view), these animals have also been disabled by default (this is for Caribou, Ibex and Labrador Retriever). You can however enable these animals if you don't mind the drawing issues. Even stronger, you can enable mounting for any animal in the mod settings, so if you want your pawns to mount rabbits,  be my guest!

Will it work for animals added by other mods?
In theory, yes, but there are some things to take into account. By default, pawns will be drawn on top of animals. For many animals this is ok, but for animals with long necks or horns it might look weird in frontal view as the pawn will be drawn on top of their face or horns. However, in the mod settings of Giddy-up Core you can change the drawing priority for any animal. This will solve most issues but not all. Some animals will look weird with any drawing priority, if you don't like that, you can disable mounting for the animal, or not.

Compatibility
-Mods: This mod uses harmony and should be compatible with most mods. However, i cannot test all mods so please report any problems with mod compatiblity.
-Existing saves: Can be used without problems
-Removing from saves: Can be done, however, make sure no pawns are mounted in the save when removing the mod, as that will cause issues.

Let your colonists ride to far lands on elephants, muffalos, lamas or any other animal, modded or not!

Download
Github releases
Steam

Dependencies
This mod depends on Giddy-up! Core, and Hugslib. Load order should be: Hugslib -> Giddy-up! Core -> Giddy-up! Caravan. Also make sure Giddy-up! Core is up to date.

Features

Faster world travel
Ever felt that traveling through the world map is just too slow? With this mod, you can get to your destination on the world map more quickly using the animals you have trained. In the form caravan dialog, you can select for each animal what colonist should ride it. This improves caravan movement speed in different ways. First, the animal's movement speed is used instead of the colonist's when the caravan map speed is calculated. Moreover, if every colonist is riding an animal, a large movement bonus is applied (configurable in the mod options). If not, a small movement bonus is applied, that depends on the ratio between riding pawns and not-riding pawns, and a maximum value that can be set in the mod options. There is one downside to all this though: animals with riders on them cannot carry as much weight as they normally would be able to.

NPC mount usage
Visitors and traders also use mounts! What mounts they use can be configured in the mod options.

Support for any animal
Any animal can be used as mount, even modded animals. By default, small animals are disabled. There is one thing to take into account when adding modded animals. Pawns are by default drawn on top of- and in front of the animal. However, sometimes it looks nicer when pawns are drawn behind the animal (most of the times this is when the animal has a long neck or when it has horns). The drawing priority can be configured for each animal in the mod options. For vanilla animals these settings are already configured, but for modded animals you may need to change the drawing priority for some animals in order to make it look nice.

Configurability
Almost anything can be configured, so take a look at the mod settings of both Giddy-up! Core and Giddy-up Caravan.

Compatibility
-Mods: This mod uses harmony and should be compatible with most mods. However, i cannot test all mods so please report any problems with mod compatiblity.
-Existing saves: Can be used without problems
-Removing from saves: Can be done, however, make sure no pawns are mounted in the save when removing the mod, as that will cause issues.

Giddy-up! Let colonists Ride to their destination and Roll.

"Hey Stein, can you go mine some steel? We're running out."
"But Banastra, the only deposit is on the other side of the map! Why don't you do it?"
"Well, I'm incapable of mining, you know that. Why don't you just take an animal and Ride and Roll?"
"That's a thing now?"

Yes it is. With Giddy-up! Ride and Roll, you'll save your colonists the pain of walking everywhere, as it allows them to use mounts whenever it makes sense.
When a colonist wants to go to a destination, he will walk to an animal, mount it, and ride to the destination, given that it would take him there faster (this all happens automatically).
Depending on the job the pawn wants to do on the destination, the pawn will either dismount before doing the job, or stay mounted.

IMPORTANT NOTE
Make sure you have installed Hugslib and Giddy-up! Core, and make sure they load before this mod. Animals can only be mounted when they have completed obedience training and when they are allowed in the mod options of Giddy-up! Core

Mod series page
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37323.0

Features
Colonists only automatically mount when it makes sense
They'll only mount when that means they get to their destination quicker. Also, the destination has to be at a minimum distance that is configurable in the mod options, otherwise they won't mount. Moreover, a colonist will remain mounted if starting an appropriate job. For instance hunting and hauling can be performed mounted. If mounting doesn't make sense for the job (for instance when woodcutting), the pawn will dismount and park the animal nearby. The animal will wait for a while so that the pawn can also use the animal on the way back. Pawns prefer animals they have recently used as mount, and also prefer animals that get them to the job the quickest.

Manual mounting
By right clicking on an animal, you can force a colonist to mount it.

Forbid riding area
Don't want riders to barge into your neat colonist's homes? Place forbid riding areas. Riders that want to enter a forbid rider area to do a job inside this area, will first drop off their mount at the nearest drop off point that you've designated. Demonstration:

Dissallow/allow mounting for specific animals
In the animals tab two new columns have been added that can be used to disallow automatic mounting for specific animals, or be used to restrict automatic mounting to the animal's master only.

Low impact on performance
I made sure the use of computationally expensive calculations is minimised, and in my tests the mod had no noticable performance impact. While these lightweight methods are not as computationally expensive as heavyweight methods, they are also not as accurate. So it may occasionally happen that a pawn makes a bad decision, especially with really strange maze-like base structures. I'll add a mod option in the future that'll allow users to enable more expensive but also more accurate methods if they please.

If it's possible to hack mechanoids, why limit yourself to riding animals if you can ride deadly machines to battle. And why limit yourself to letting humans ride if you can let Mechanoids Ride animals, or other mechanoids! This mod brings Giddy-up! and What the Hack!? together and needs no further introduction.

IMPORTANT NOTE
This mod has three dependencies: Hugslib, What the Hack!? and Giddy-up! Core. Make sure to install and update these mods and place them above Giddy-up! Mechanoids.

The mod in action:

Features
- Adds an upgrade module that can be crafted at the mechanoid workshop added by What the Hack!? Which allows the riding of hacked mechanoids on which it is installed.
- Directly controlled mechanoids (controlled with a controller belt or with replaced AI - all features of What the Hack!?) can also ride mechanoids! Only mechanoids that cannot be used as mount can ride mechanoids, so stacking mechanoids is not possible :).
- Mod options to configure which type mechanoid can be used as mount.
- Enemy factions that are allowed to use mechs (in the What the Hack mod options), also ocasionally use mechanoids as mount. The chance they do this can be configured in the mod options.
- Full support for other mechanoid adding mods.

Q&A
- How can I let my colonists ride mechanoids?
First research basic hacking, the mechanoid workshop, and the Giddy-up! module. Then hack yourself a mechanoid that is allowed as mount in the mod options and craft a Giddy-up! module at the mechanoid workshop. Then install the Giddy-up! module (go to the health tab -> modifications, and select the module). Once the module is installed, you can select a pawn and right click an activated mechanoid and an option to mount it will appear.
- Doesn't Giddy up! add animal riding? I don't want that, I just want to let my colonists ride mechnoids. Is that possible?
Sure. As long as you only add Giddy-up! Core, and not the other Giddy-up! mods, there won't be any animal riding.
- Help! I don't have an option to install the mechanoid module!
Likely the mechanoid you're trying to install it on isn't allowed in the mod options, so check out those options and allow any mech you'd like to use as mount! Beware, this will mean enemies also use exactly those mechs as mount.

Credits
- Madman666 for creating the sprite for the giddy-up! module. Thanks a lot!

Permissions
Feel free to add the mods to modpacks or to use the code or icons for other projects, though please credit me. Do however not release exact copies of my project, or exact copies with minor adjustments without my consent.

Contributing
-Translations are very welcome. You can make a pull request on github if you want to add in translations, or you can contact me by sending a friend request.
-If you developed a mod adding animals, you can contact me so we can make a patch that ensures that the default mod options (forbidding animals and setting drawing priorities) are configured well for your mod.

If you really like my mods, please consider buying me a coffee. It would mean a lot to me!

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Ramsis

Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Roolo

Quote from: Ramsis on December 01, 2017, 05:04:39 AM
Hey you nerd, try not to lock your topic next time :V

Wow you are quick. I added a new topic now. Can I keep this one?

Ramsis

Quote from: Roolo on December 01, 2017, 05:07:25 AM

Yeah go nuts!
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Roolo

Quote from: Ramsis on December 01, 2017, 05:08:15 AM
Quote from: Roolo on December 01, 2017, 05:07:25 AM

Yeah go nuts!

Thanks. Sorry for the inconvinience :)

Roolo

How do I get my posts that contain the mod releases on top?

SpaceDorf

By Editing your first post and changing the content there :)

and woah dude .. that mod is insane.

Can't wait to ride some Dinosaurs and Genetic Abominations.

Roolo

Quote from: SpaceDorf on December 01, 2017, 05:26:55 AM
By Editing your first post and changing the content there :)

and woah dude .. that mod is insane.

Can't wait to ride some Dinosaurs and Genetic Abominations.

Really? For instance in Rainbeau's mods it appears it's done with regular replies? I have to go now, but I'll look into it later.

SpaceDorf

Then quote the post you like to use then you can see the xml codes  ;D

Canute

Try to "Modify" your first posting.
Modify other replys from yourself into different tab, that show you the unformated text, and you can copy/paste it from there.

Roolo

Just released an update to fix a critical bug:
V18.1.1
Fixed problem that made it impossible for animals with a master to be mounted.

@Canute and SpaceDorf. Thanks for the info! I'll update it once I have time.

SpaceDorf

Maybe you should consider using your other more clean thread and reserve the first view posts to better present your mod.

GIFShinobi

Roolo

Quote from: SpaceDorf on December 01, 2017, 08:21:28 AM
Maybe you should consider using your other more clean thread and reserve the first view posts to better present your mod.

The other thread is already removed (unless you mean my RunAndGun thread). I added all info to my initial post now, this looks much cleaner than it was.