[1.1] Giddy-up!

Started by Roolo, December 01, 2017, 04:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on December 14, 2017, 12:00:33 PM
Ok, I've never laughed so damn hard in all my Rimworld playtime... I love how modded factions also can have mounts. It blends really nicely with Medieval mod (although added speed to armored knights makes it damn challenging), but when it comes to other mods... like TiberiumRim or Rimsenal. imagine federation Peacekeepers that wreck havok and spread destruction and despair on a... doe? Or scrin hive mechanoids merrily riding to you on wild boars? God, it was really damn tough to climb back from under the table, where I was rolling on the floor laughing my lungs out. For that alone this mods NEEDS to be in core game! :)) On a serious note I think this needs to have some kind of tagging system for animals, that defines which types of pawns can spawn with which animal mount or without it. Will probably require compatibility patches though. Leaving it like this is fine as well - having fun makes you live longer))

Now I need to find horse mod for medieval knights. It will be epic.

Haha, such a funny comment to read ^^. In case you didn't know, you can use AnimalCollabProj from Steam Workshop to get horses. Or if you don't have steam workshop you can use Taiga creatures, that's still in A15, but apperently just changing the version number in about.xml will make it work.

By the way, creating such a tagging system would be a huge effort, also requiring collaboration of other mod developers, while also demanding a lot of configuration by the users to make it work. The best option for now to prevent these funny situations, is to forbid funny animals. But why would one forbid funny things? :). Apart from that, I will re-balance and improve the spawning algorithm in the near future, probably resulting in a lower amount of deer-riders.

s44yuritch

Boomalope riders are way funnier. I've only seen one so far, but it was noticeable.

Madman666

Quote from: Roolo on December 15, 2017, 05:29:48 AM
Haha, such a funny comment to read ^^. In case you didn't know, you can use AnimalCollabProj from Steam Workshop to get horses. Or if you don't have steam workshop you can use Taiga creatures, that's still in A15, but apperently just changing the version number in about.xml will make it work.

By the way, creating such a tagging system would be a huge effort, also requiring collaboration of other mod developers, while also demanding a lot of configuration by the users to make it work. The best option for now to prevent these funny situations, is to forbid funny animals. But why would one forbid funny things? :). Apart from that, I will re-balance and improve the spawning algorithm in the near future, probably resulting in a lower amount of deer-riders.

Oh, well if its a pain to do - screw it)) I like it this way. Its just soo hilarious, like your defenses are rekt as hell, flare disabled your power and then a raid! You curse Extreme Randy, go to see raid participants... only to burst laughing seeing Nod soldiers on pigs and alpacas. this mod is both incredibly cool thing to have (wolf rider snipers, bionic warg knights - you name it) and also the funniest mod I've ever tried on Steam. Its incredible) So its probably even better to leave as is)

Good to know about Animal collab mod. I'll be sure to check it, thank you for the info. Speaking about compatibility it would be nice to have Medieval factions from Medieval times mod show up with mounts more often. Its already challenging, but it fits so well with them)

Quote from: s44yuritch on December 15, 2017, 08:47:09 AM
Boomalope riders are way funnier. I've only seen one so far, but it was noticeable.

Yeah, I bet it was very damn noticeable... Especially for the poor chap that decided to ride a living powder keg :D Unfortunately i still haven't encountered boomalope riders. Probably takes guts not every Rimworld dweller has.

Thirite

I'd like to point out the Animal Collab Project is available for DRM free versions of the game as well:
https://github.com/XenEmpireAdmin/AnimalCollabProject

SpaceDorf

Alpha Animals gives you giant colorful birds to ride 😊 *Wark*
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Roolo

I just released a new update! (v18.4.0)
Giddy-up Battle Mounts
- Spawning algorithm is improved for enemy mounts taking into account wildness of mounts and handling skill of pawns. Pawns with a high handling skill have a larger chance to spawn with rare mounts.
- Enemy pawns now also spawn with animals not found in the biome in which they attack, and also with animals not occurring in the wild. The probability these mounts are used can be configured in the mod options.
- Accuracy penalty is affected by the animal handling skill of the pawn. If the rider's skill is higher than the skill required to tame the animal, a per-level bonus is applied, and otherwise a per-level penalty (configurable in the mod options).
- Enemy mounts that lose their rider, will now become wild animals, making them tameable. If enemy pawns flee, they will now do so on their mount.
- Added tutorial items

Giddy-up Core
- Movement speed is affected by the animal handling skill of the pawn. If the rider's skill is higher than the skill required to tame the animal, a per-level bonus is applied, and otherwise a per-level penalty (configurable in the mod options).
- Added tutorial items

Madman666

Wow. Thats a major change. People without decent handling skill might actually be more useless on a mount than without it)) With shooting and movement penalty and all that... Good thing its all configurable. Really interesting change, keep it up))

kaptain_kavern

Hi there,

I'm currently updating the French translation. And I have a question, please. I don't want to introduce false information in translation  ;).

Regarding:
Quote from: Roolo
The chance a mount used by an enemy pawn is one not found in the wild.

This means animals that can only be bought (like Cows, pigs, etc) AND thrumbos; or am I missing something?

Roolo

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on December 16, 2017, 04:28:37 PM
Hi there,

I'm currently updating the French translation. And I have a question, please. I don't want to introduce false information in translation  ;).

Regarding:
Quote from: Roolo
The chance a mount used by an enemy pawn is one not found in the wild.

This means animals that can only be bought (like Cows, pigs, etc) AND thrumbos; or am I missing something?

Yes, that's exactly right. Thanks for translating again!

Edit: the chance to get Thrumbos is very small though.

kaptain_kavern

And thanks for the mods again!   ;D

Point clarified, thanks. I will send you two P.R. soon  8)

kubolek01

A mad idea... one Commander on the biggest mount found around, and a swarm of something small around, ready to soak bullets or shred designated target.
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Roolo

Small update (v18.4.1):
Giddy-up Battle Mounts:
- Updated Russian, Japanese and French translations.
Giddy-up Core
- Made sure that the animal size filter is applied for new animals added by mods installed after Giddy-up was installed to ensure only new animals large enough can be mounted by default.
- Updated Russian, Japanese and French translations.

From now on I'll focus on Giddy-up! Caravans (or whatever I'm going to call that), so don't expect any new updates soon, except for maybe some bug fixes.

Madman666

Quote from: Roolo on December 17, 2017, 11:09:28 AM
From now on I'll focus on Giddy-up! Caravans (or whatever I'm going to call that), so don't expect any new updates soon, except for maybe some bug fixes.

Niiiice. I am waiting patiently)) I wonder if you'll find a way to use mounts even in non-combat non-caravan situations)) Like hunting for example)).

Roolo

Quote from: Madman666 on December 17, 2017, 02:35:01 PM
Quote from: Roolo on December 17, 2017, 11:09:28 AM

Niiiice. I am waiting patiently)) I wonder if you'll find a way to use mounts even in non-combat non-caravan situations)) Like hunting for example)).

Yes, I plan to do that eventually. One instance I thought of is when pawns have to walk far to get somewhere. If in such a case the pawn would get there quicker on a nearby mount, it would use the mount automatically. I could also add animal riding as a joy source or as a way to train animal handling. Using it for hunting is also a cool idea. Plenty of possibilities, that's  for sure. But I'll first focus on caravanning, that's enough to keep me busy for a while.

Edit: more ideas are always welcome :)

Madman666

Quote from: Roolo on December 17, 2017, 04:25:44 PM
Yes, I plan to do that eventually. One instance I thought of is when pawns have to walk far to get somewhere. If in such a case the pawn would get there quicker on a nearby mount, it would use the mount automatically. I could also add animal riding as a joy source or as a way to train animal handling. Using it for hunting is also a cool idea. Plenty of possibilities, that's  for sure. But I'll first focus on caravanning, that's enough to keep me busy for a while.

Edit: more ideas are always welcome :)

Well this will be friggin amazing then)) I was about to say about map travel to distant jobs like mining. Since I play only biggest maps possible its actually quite important, so I'll be waiting for that))