[1.1] Giddy-up!

Started by Roolo, December 01, 2017, 04:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Depend depend, how the mod handle it.
If he manage it to complete automate these process, like to pickup ALL resources to build many structures for the rest of the day at the other side of the map. (Which may be a big improment into the handling, but might overpowered)

Or if the player need to micromanagment it by it own. Which give the player more option to interact and made it maybe interesting/annoying (depend who you ask).

Madman666

Quote from: Canute on December 21, 2017, 09:39:43 AM
Depend depend, how the mod handle it.
If he manage it to complete automate these process, like to pickup ALL resources to build many structures for the rest of the day at the other side of the map. (Which may be a big improment into the handling, but might overpowered)

Or if the player need to micromanagment it by it own. Which give the player more option to interact and made it maybe interesting/annoying (depend who you ask).

I really hope it won't be more annoying micro... Its fine when its a bit of micromanagement, but when its basically controlling each and every step of idiotic AI, that builds itself in walls, hops over trees when there's a perfectly fine stone road nearby... Ugh.

If he manages to make it work, so that a colonist picks up all resources needed for construction either in his own inventory or loads up a pet, goes to it, unloads all resources to build frames and constructs it - I'll sculpt a friggin statue to this guy. Because that would be a damn miracle)

Nekokon

More player interaction doesn't always mean more micromanagement. Making a logical system and let the players design their own solution (either good or bad) is good interaction, but making a premade perfect solution with multiple passes which require players to repeatedly follow the path (because AI can't handle it) is bad interaction.

Tbh I don't think an automated system like the one above would work. It involves a lot of checks for both the pack animal and the build frame, and exponentially increases with the number of animals and frames available; or your will have to write a whole new logistic system to accommodate it. It will task performance way too much, still won't work perfectly, and won't be used that much in the first place.
It's better to just pack the animal with materials yourself, then bring them to the far away blue print and unload. If you don't want other pawns to run off delivering materials before you finish packing, just use zone limit.

Roolo

Funny how these discussions arise, while it's all still pretty far away, and while it's a little out of scope (since it doens't really involve riding animals, it could though) ^^. It at least shows there would be interest in such a mod, which is nice to know. I'm not too concerned about pack animal thing outside caravan situations being overpowered. The choice to use it is up to the player, and the player can adjust difficulty in many ways. My main concern is if it could make the game more enjoyable, and I think it could.

I think I would prefer an automatic approach though, albeit a very simple one, so one that would only work on single structure projects to begin with. I think demanding any manual intervention diverts from Rimworld's core mechanics which all provide automation as much as possible (except for the combat). I also think that if it's kept simple, it's possible without a noticeable performance penalty.  But again, it's a bit too premature to discuss this in such detail.

The charge skill suggestion is also cool by the way, I had a similar idea, namely creating a separate mod in the Giddy-up series that adds animal skills, with different skills for different animal types, a charge skill would definitely be one of them. So this might happen in the future.

Madman666

Nice to see, you also prefer automatic method and don't really consider it OP (because it isn't). And holy shit, I can't imagine such a mod (or idea at least) being uninteresting to the masses. I mean I was a bit skeptical, when I first seen Giddy Up, thought it would be raw attempt with graphical issues or something, but as soon as I've seen mod showcase on Barky's channel, I just teleported to subscribe button on Steam. Imagine how amazed I was when I was informed there will be other applications of mounts not just fighting. The mod's awesome. There can't be no interest in it.

{EC}Jeyzone

hey man can you create version for a17 can not update yet for b18 still waiting for other mod to be updated.

Roolo

Quote from: {EC}Jeyzone on December 23, 2017, 10:22:15 PM
hey man can you create version for a17 can not update yet for b18 still waiting for other mod to be updated.

No. We should move forward. There are many thing I'd rather spend my time on than focusing on legacy versions of the game. Just move on to B18 with a new save, or stick with your existing colony and accept it's not in B18

kubolek01

I have another mad idea. Big guns mountable and usable if mount is big enough. Mortar Thrumbo cavalry... ^-^
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Sarge

Madman666

Quote from: Sarge on December 31, 2017, 02:33:48 PM

Yup... I will only say, that this guy with a club has balls of steel. Don't forget to smelt them after you've picked up all the pieces.

Harry_Dicks

Sarge are those fireplaces? If so, what mod are they from? Or if not, mind telling me what they are/where they're from? Thanks! :D

SpaceDorf

Nice..where are the lightbowl and fireplaces from ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Madman666

Sarge

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on December 31, 2017, 03:35:09 PM
Sarge are those fireplaces? If so, what mod are they from? Or if not, mind telling me what they are/where they're from? Thanks! :D

They're from Medieval Times too. A very cool mod.