[1.1] Giddy-up!

Started by Roolo, December 01, 2017, 04:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SargBjornson

Oh, that is easy, the mad scientist who created it inserted some "increased defense while riding" genes ;))

Roolo

Quote from: SargBjornson on October 18, 2018, 06:21:02 AM
Oh, that is easy, the mad scientist who created it inserted some "increased defense while riding" genes ;))

Haha XD. Ok sure, that'll work! I'll at least add the speed bonus hook, and if it's not too much effort I'll also add the defense bonus. It may take a few weeks since I'm quite busy IRL at the moment, and I have a lot of other stuff to do for my other mods.

Roolo

Ok, I shouldn't have rushed the releases this morning. Apparently some changes in the 1.0 code made Giddy-up! Caravan, Battle Mounts, and What the Hack cause crashes. I've just uploaded fixes:

Giddy-up! Caravan -> 1.1.1
- Fixed crash occurring when NPCs enter your base.
Giddy-up! Battle Mounts -> 1.1.1
- Fixed crash occurring when enemies try to raid your base. Unfortunately this fix interferes with a fix I published for What the Hack. Due to this, enemies either won't have hacked mechanoids, or no mounts. The issue is actually pretty complex since I need to take into account both Rimworld 1.0 and B19, since both versions are supported (I already regret that XD), so I need a little more time for a proper fix that doesn't have the side-effect.
Giddy-up! Mechanoids -> v1.1.1
- Compatibility with What the Hack!? 1.0.1.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

treehugger

I love your Giddy-up!-Series!

But I found a problem with "Giddy-up! Ride and Roll": Installing the mod prevents me from using the "techprof subpersona core". The menue needed to use the core just does not show up any more. Removing the mod brings the menue back.

Found this behaviour with B19 and the corresponding "Giddy-up! Ride and Roll". I will switch to RW1.0 in the days to come and report if the error persists.

Roolo

Update:

Giddy-up! Battle Mounts -> v1.1.2
- Fixed problem with learning helper, causing refuge chased event raids to spawn repeatedly when the player didn't learn about shield belts yet.

I recommend downloading this version if you have an older version running in 1.0, as this bug is pretty major if it occurs.

Quote from: treehugger on October 23, 2018, 04:55:23 PM

But I found a problem with "Giddy-up! Ride and Roll": Installing the mod prevents me from using the "techprof subpersona core". The menue needed to use the core just does not show up any more. Removing the mod brings the menue back.

Found this behaviour with B19 and the corresponding "Giddy-up! Ride and Roll". I will switch to RW1.0 in the days to come and report if the error persists.

Thanks for reporting. Like always, please provide a Hugslib log by pressing ctrl+f12 and placing the link you'll get here. Without a log I can't do much.

temple_wing

I suggest you make a cart/Wagon mod.
It actually is just a mountable packing animal that does not think.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thought more about that, animal have HP, have organs, can be ill, can die, so use animal to implement that feature is not good.
Can you make a building to be mountable?

treehugger

Quote from: Roolo on October 24, 2018, 04:56:10 AM

Quote from: treehugger on October 23, 2018, 04:55:23 PM

Thanks for reporting. Like always, please provide a Hugslib log by pressing ctrl+f12 and placing the link you'll get here. Without a log I can't do much.

Sorry, I'm new to this. Here's the link (still on B19): https://git.io/fxM0c

Morbo513

Functionally, how dependent is this mod on the thing being ridden, being an animal? In other words, could this be used for motorised vehicles?

Roolo

Quote from: temple_wing on October 24, 2018, 08:01:01 AM
I suggest you make a cart/Wagon mod.
It actually is just a mountable packing animal that does not think.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thought more about that, animal have HP, have organs, can be ill, can die, so use animal to implement that feature is not good.
Can you make a building to be mountable?

It's very tempting to make assumptions like: just change this or that, and you have carts. You've noticed yourself that after you gave it more thought it wasn't as simple as it seemed anymore as you came up with issues. I can tell you that in practice this now still short list of issues will keep growing untill it fills up multiple pages. Is it possible? Yes definitely, but it will take a vast amount of time to be done properly. Time that I currently don't have. This is also true when using buildings as a basis.

Quote from: treehugger on October 24, 2018, 06:27:21 PM
Sorry, I'm new to this. Here's the link (still on B19): https://git.io/fxM0c

Thanks for reporting. Could you let me know if the issue persists when our move to rimworld 1.0. Since you're the only one reporting this it could likely be something on your side, but it's hardly worth the effort of finding out if you're moving to 1.0 soon anyway.

Quote from: Morbo513 on October 25, 2018, 01:59:00 AM
Functionally, how dependent is this mod on the thing being ridden, being an animal? In other words, could this be used for motorised vehicles?

These are two different things. The existence of Giddy-up! Mechanoids answers your first question. Your second question can be answered with "yes", though it would only solve the small problem of mounting a pawn on some entity. It doesn't solve the problem of defining a vehicle entity, which is a great deal more time consuming if done properly.

Give me a few hours, and I could copy mechanoid or animal code, stick a vehicle sprite on it, and apply Giddy-up to make it mountable. However, the vehicle you have then would by no means behave as a vehicle and it would be a terrible implementation. The effort to make that implementation more like a vehicle would increase exponentially with how realistic you'd want to make it. Making something that's not silly would already be a huge time sink.

cyberian

Can someone recommend a good mod I can use together with this and Medieval Times to create Knights on armored War Horses if there is a way to do that? I found some animal equipment mod but that was dubious and only 0.18.

Do I get it right that I could disable all other animals for riding except horses in this mod?
Can I somehow only allow riding for specific factions so Tribals and the medieval factions from  MT?

cyberian

I now installed it and also the Animal Collab plus Alpha Animals
There is also a gear mod but I guess someone has to create a good looking war horse armor mod.
I guess I can use christmas holiday to rape my paint.net and try to make a mod that adds it.

Morbo513

Quote from: Roolo on October 25, 2018, 02:49:19 AM

Give me a few hours, and I could copy mechanoid or animal code, stick a vehicle sprite on it, and apply Giddy-up to make it mountable. However, the vehicle you have then would by no means behave as a vehicle and it would be a terrible implementation. The effort to make that implementation more like a vehicle would increase exponentially with how realistic you'd want to make it. Making something that's not silly would already be a huge time sink.
Cue the mental image of jeeps grazing in fields hahah
I'm not sure if I used the versions from Oct 18th (Date modified in my downloads says 20th), but I was getting hard crashes after < 3 in-game days with Caravans and Battle-mounts enabled. Could this be a conflict with Alpha Animals? I'm not sure I have any other animal mods enabled, but there's probably all sorts that can interfere. Here's my modlist for reference https://pastebin.com/Y18UQzNc

Roolo

Do I get it right that I could disable all other animals for riding except horses in this mod?
Can I somehow only allow riding for specific factions so Tribals and the medieval factions from  MT?
Yes, that's right, you can disable any animal as mount except horses, take a look at the mod options. There's no option for faction specific mounts in the game, but there are patching hooks for that. Take a look at the GitHub for an example and just pm me if you want some help setting a patch up. It's not very difficult, but if you don't know XML it can appear to be a bit daunting.

Quote from: Morbo513 on October 25, 2018, 01:11:49 PM
Quote from: Roolo on October 25, 2018, 02:49:19 AM

Cue the mental image of jeeps grazing in fields hahah
I'm not sure if I used the versions from Oct 18th (Date modified in my downloads says 20th), but I was getting hard crashes after < 3 in-game days with Caravans and Battle-mounts enabled. Could this be a conflict with Alpha Animals? I'm not sure I have any other animal mods enabled, but there's probably all sorts that can interfere. Here's my modlist for reference https://pastebin.com/Y18UQzNc

There were problems with crashes a few days after 1.0 came out. But those problems are fixed now. Please try the latest version and tell me if you still have issues.