Unable to start game

Started by bionerd, December 01, 2017, 10:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bionerd

Logged over 50 hours playing RimWorld [0.18], but all of a sudden received an Access Violation error.  Thinking it was due to an installed mod.  I have deleted all mods, reinstalled the game, cleared local cache.  Starting the game with the clean install the game music plays, but just receive a minimized window that won't open.  This only happens with version 0.18 and nothing for versions 0.16 and 0.17b.

I have tried reverting the game back to 0.16 and 0.17b, but still no luck. Not sure how to get the game to work again.

Clean install doesn't work.  Ideas?

Canute

You didn't told what Operation system you use.

Since Rimworld start up, you should try to delete the config folder, the place where the savegames are stored.

Maybe look if some virus tool forbid anything from Rimworld.

bionerd

All folders including config have been deleted from any previous installs:
"C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\"
&
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld"

No virus tool is forbidding anything from Rimworld.

~1 week ago the game installed and I logged 50 hours.  After deleting and re-installing the game, the game's music starts with a minimized screen. I suspect its something from a mod I used previously as that what forced the re-install, but not sure whether there is any other information carrying over.  This game install doesn't have any mods, just core.

Canute

But when you delete "AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\" no mod should be load.
And i never hear so far, that anyone got an Access Violation error from running a mod, except you use a very strange mod that never get listed at the forum.
So i don't think the error comes from Rimworld itself.

Try to update grafic and sound driver.
But otherwhile i don't have any clue, beside to reset Win10 to default, because it worked before.

bionerd

It has something to do with the new Windows 10 update.  I installed version 0.18 and only changed the windows 10 update between 10.0.15063 and 10.0.16299.

10.0.15063  - Rimworld [0.18] works
10.0.16299  - doesn't

It has something to do specifically with Rimworld as all my other programs, games etc work.

So unless there is something special about my configuration, you may have issues in the future when people update Win 10.

bionerd

I'm not the only one having this problem, there is a steam discussion thread on the topic.

KT_AF_RN

Just wanted to chime in to say that I have experienced the same problem. I'm also vanilla AF and have never downloaded or run any mods for Rimworld. After an update to build 16299 for Windows 10 I no longer am able to play either. I hear the music play on start up but nothing else happens. Tried reinstalling Rimworld and updating graphics card drivers but to no avail. Same problem for Steam and DRM-Free version.

I'm really bummed I can't play and would appreciate any help. I don't want to revert back to the previous Windows build because this update contained security features, and I'd prefer higher security to being able to play.