Pets Defend Themselves if Necessary

Started by Chicken Breast, December 01, 2017, 02:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicken Breast

I wasn't sure exactly how to word this or where to post it, but I had an issue while playing a game of B18 today.

Without getting into it and making it a whole story, the gist of my problem is this:

I was being attacked by two tribals after another catastrophe had a few of my fighters out of commision, and I kept my people inside. I did this because I knew that the tribals would automatically attack my pets, 1 warg and 1 timber wolf. In my mind, I naturally thought that once attacked, they would fight back.

Instead? Red, the Firekeeper, with 4 melee skill, stabbed my warg to death with a plasteel shiv. My wolf watched it happen and also was stabbed to what eventually became death via infection.

How does that work? Something about the coding, I'm sure, but I can't be the only one that has this issue?

If my colonist is going to get attacked back by a Beaver when melee attacking it, how is a tribal going to attack a WOLF, allied or not, without getting attacked back? This is especially considering that the wolf self-tamed, and I felt that it would be dangerous anyway since such animals are only so trainable in real life. The danger of a snap always exists, like with tamed monkeys and such.

My suggestion is just that this should be fixed. More feral or beast-like animals should have an automatic chance to snap at ANY interaction (like a .01% chance or something like that) as well as an automatic defense when they are melee attacked. There is no reason an animal of any kind would attempt to flee if it knew that it COULD NOT flee, like a warg or a wolf being stabbed with a shiv, but most small animals would reasonably be able to weasel their way out of combat to safety.

Maybe it will never happen, but for the sake of immersion, and the sake of the sanity of the colonists (that warg's master was immediately screwed up about it even though he was dead asleep at the time. He still knew) and the players, please consider doing something about this. 

Sig by Me!