[Mod Request] Caravan Vehicles running by Chemfuel

Started by Dagoras, December 03, 2017, 06:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dagoras

Hello,

as my colonist only got a limited carrying capacity i am forced to use pack-animals, however i dont want a ton of pack animals that eat the food off my colonist and during caravan incidents they tend to die very quickly because they love to run into gunfire...

So the idea is to create vehicles ( trucks, apc etc. ) that run by chemfuel.

The advantages:

-They dont need Food only Chemfuel
-Colonist would travel faster ( really if you dont travel by drop pod you need like tons of food and years too reach your destination )
-Depending on your research your caravan would have much more protection ( And killing a truck is more difficult than killing a suicidal muffalo that runs towards gunfire... )

The downsides:

-Fuel consumption will be rather high so you need a working chemfuel production and use a portion of your cargoload for fuel
-If they get damaged until a certain treshold they explode rather spectacular and the cargoload is lost ( chemfuel is volatile after all )
-Enemies/Factions could use the vehicles aswell, for example APC`s during their raids or caravan incidents ( blockade for example )

The vehicles i have in mind:

Cargotruck: An all-purpose cargo and personal vehicle, has high chemfuel consumption but does its job, cant take much amounts of gunfire.
Fuel-Truck: Can carry huge amounts of chemfuel, comsumes chemfuel on an average level, highly vulnerable to gunfire!
APC: Armored personal carrier, offers high protection but has somewhat limited cargo capacities ( enought for maybe 8 pawns? ) , uses high amounts of chemfuel, has an mounted LMG, rarely explodes. ( in case of an incident the APC would function as high-cover aswell as fire support )
Armored Truck: Armored variant of the Cargotruck, has less cargospace and consumes more chemfuel but withstands gunfire way better.
Dozer: Heavily armored truck, usually in front of an caravan, has low cargo capacities but excellent armor, high chemfuel consumption. ( acts as high cover )
Combat SUV: Lightly armored scout and support vehicles, has low cargo capacities ( maybe 4 pawns? ) but an mounted LMG, has low chemfuel consumption and is often used to scout areas or support caravans.

That would be my suggestion, because currently the only real use for chemfuel is to use for drop pods, thats great but you can always travel only 1 way or use a lot of your cargo capacities to rebuild a launch station at your landing point, this way chemfuel would have a real meaningfull impact and on the same time make the caravan system much more interesting.

If there is such a mod already i didnt saw it :/ would be n1 to have something like this for B18 ( and yes i know about the Dropshipmod, but its still A17 and flying is a completely diffrent thing! I am also aware of the shuttlecraft mod, but it seems to be buggy and hivering cargo-pods seem a bit dull to me. )

Anduin1357

Might I say that having electric vehicles similar to the Tesla model S, X and Semi would be great, the model X having built-in bio-weapon defense capability so no problem with toxic fallout, for example. The party would be forced to temporarily make camp and put down stuff to charge the batteries once in awhile but it would be quite worth it with a much better enhanced stealth (because it's quiet) and safe that it won't explode or something.

The downside? Components and breakdowns... :/

Canute

Anduin1357

Dagoras

Quote from: Canute on December 04, 2017, 11:46:45 AM
Dagoras,
do you know RimBusVehicles ?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36708.0
These don't use chemfuel but might be useful.

I didnt knew about that ones, but no B18 Version :/ and well it certainly would be a short-timed solution for faster travel indeed, a bit balanced by the needs of these powerpacks if you add that mod to them but no real "cargo-transport" just for the faster pawn travel, but something like that would be great, i saw this other vehicle mod but it seems to be A17 aswell maybe they could extend it with cargo-vessel`s ? I am no modder sadly so i dont know the amount of work for it.

Kbforss

rimworld lack some phases on evolution, you know... the actual line is Walking>Pack Animals>Launchpads... we haven't the mounting animals and the vehicles yet, i hope some mod/patch brings this things to make the caravans more dynamic and interesting.

Dagoras

Quote from: Kbforss on December 24, 2017, 10:02:10 PM
rimworld lack some phases on evolution, you know... the actual line is Walking>Pack Animals>Launchpads... we haven't the mounting animals and the vehicles yet, i hope some mod/patch brings this things to make the caravans more dynamic and interesting.

There is a mod that makes animals mountable, sadly it only works while drafted and therefore has no impact on caravans, if youre inetrested this is the mod:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37323.0

And yeah i think vehicles would be a logical choice for mid-game as droppods or dropships ( if you got the mod ) are more late-game stuff.

Thirite

The speed of all pawns is averaged when determining caravan speed, so if you have a few fast animals (eg: horses) and one colonist your caravan will go incredibly fast. Doesn't matter if they're not riding them.

Dagoras

Quote from: Thirite on December 26, 2017, 09:55:27 PM
The speed of all pawns is averaged when determining caravan speed, so if you have a few fast animals (eg: horses) and one colonist your caravan will go incredibly fast. Doesn't matter if they're not riding them.

Wow i didnt knew that, thats actually quite helpfull, thanks for sharing this information :D .

Kbforss

Roolo

Quote from: Dagoras on December 25, 2017, 08:03:27 PM
Quote from: Kbforss on December 24, 2017, 10:02:10 PM

There is a mod that makes animals mountable, sadly it only works while drafted and therefore has no impact on caravans, if youre inetrested this is the mod:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37323.0

And yeah i think vehicles would be a logical choice for mid-game as droppods or dropships ( if you got the mod ) are more late-game stuff.

Giddy-up Caravan has just been added to the series you link to, so you can now ride animals in Caravans if you install it:)

Dagoras

Giddy-up Caravan has just been added to the series you link to, so you can now ride animals in Caravans if you install it:)
[/quote]

Yeah thats nice, thank you for that, its very usefull in early game where you lack droppods, but in my opinion we still missing some kind of mid-game caravan option, guess its time for me to learn how to mod and do it myself huh? I know how to make minor adjustments to files and how to add for example recipes and items but thats actually all, nothing of the core stuff :/