Program wont open after latest windows uppdate.

Started by sandkasse, December 03, 2017, 01:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandkasse

after playing over a few days. I updated my windows. Since then i have not been able to open the game.

the game reacts as following:
The icon shows up at the bottom of my screen, then the music from the opening menu starts playing. I still only see my desktop.
If i hold my mouse over the game icon at the bottom. It shows a thin black line where it normaly used to show a miniversion of the game. (in picture attachment)

I have over 150 houers in the game so i know the computer can run it.

so far i have tried to:
* Reinstall game.
* Remove all mods
* Update graphic driver
* Scrolling the forums
* restart computer
* Delete any trace of Rimworld on the computer, then reinstall.

Does this problem sounds familiar to anyone? Is there a way to fix it?

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

bionerd

I have the exact same problem and have done your exact same attempts at fixing.  The only fix that has allowed me to play the game is to roll back my windows update, but obviously not a permanent fix.

There is a thread on the Steam discussion boards with other players reporting the same symptoms.  The only thing that seems to be consistent is the Nvidia graphics card.

sandkasse

OK. i found a solution. kind of.

As Bionerd mentioned the nvidia card. i went in twerking around in its controlpanel. Under the "display" section, i went into the menu where i adjust the desktop size an position.
then i started pushing everything ^^.
After i told it to (override scaling from games and programs) I went to try opening the game again.
This time. That slim black line actually appeard at my screen. And when i dragged it wider by grabbing the windowsides. i where in the game.
From there i managed to enter the games options and adjust the 1080p, fullscreen and all of that.
And everything is back to normal. Game works again.
hope this can help others. ;) have a good one   

Anrock

Looks like same issue:
Also, i've noticed that in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios, value of Screenmanager Resolution Width_h182942802 always resets to 0xf (15 dec) if i set Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode_h3981298716 to 1.
If i set Screenmanager Resolution Width_h182942802 to some sane value while leaving 0 in Screenmanager Is Fullscreen mode_h3981298716, then Rimworld window on taskbar preview takes specified size, see screenshot in attachment.

In both cases Rimworld won't go foreground if focused.

@bionerd what update did you roll back?

KT_AF_RN

Same exact problem here. I'll try what Sandkasse suggested, that sounds like a bizarre but effective fix!

Anrock

tl;dr: Looks like Windows 10 Build 1709 or alters NVidia settings, which breaks Unity, other games are affected too.
Fix:  Launch NVidia Control Panel (nvcplui.exe, probably in C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client) in left sidebar, under "Display" select "Adjust desktop size and position" then select "Scaling" on the right and set to "No scale".

Looks like Unity engine is to blame. Suffering from Rimworld withdrawal i tried to play Oxygen Not Included and it behaves in very similar way: invisible unfocusable window after launch.
I've checked Klei bugtracker and immediately found a report about this. All was the same: win 10, nvidia, recent update.
Klei bug reporting rules was expecting me to upload some logs, so i checked them, found an error:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
  at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (0 x 0 fmt 19 aa 1), error 0x80070057

Remembered about same issue in Rimworld and decided to check it's log and blam, exactly the same thing. Log attached.

Now can we have some dev attention?

Klei report: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/oni/game-unable-to-launch-r8032/

Havokmaker