Post your best tips

Started by SpookCrow, December 05, 2017, 10:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpookCrow

1. Use wood to knock someone out of an mental break without severely damaging them.
"Fear is the enemy within you that can lead to your demise." -Spook

Sbilko

Start farming as soon as you build a room where everything stands and where your colonists sleep.

If the prisoners were your colonists in past, then just free them instead of re-recruiting them.

Rescue outlanders instead of capturing them -- sometimes they join out of gratitude.

Put your cooking stove in your freezer, so your cook doesn't have to walk that much.

Use light guns like SMG's and pistols if you want to take prisoners who have all their limbs in place.

Before you even start, try to have at least one of your starting colonists have 6 at construction. As of B18 some essential things like solar panels cannot be built below that construction level.

Turn your wood/stones into animal sleeping boxes. It takes just about 2 work and sells a lot higher if built with a good construction skill.

An important thing you should prioritize putting in your first room as soon as possible is the research bench. You want to research automated turrets, so you must research microelectronics first.

Try to make your pawns move as little as possible (unless they're haulers) to do their assigned job. This is really important for the production efficiency of your colony. As you get big, put dining tables in a few locations, with food nearby, so colonists don't have to walk a lot in order to eat.

sadpickle

Quote from: Sbilko on December 05, 2017, 11:22:49 AM
Rescue outlanders instead of capturing them -- sometimes they join out of gratitude.
... but be ready to knock that dude with 18 Research on his ass if he tries to leave. It seems like the REALLY good pawns always wander off.

Canute

Best tip is to use the search function of a forum.
There are allready alot of tip-topic out there, just try to find them.

Shurp

Don't give up on a good colony just because Cassandra is having a bad day.  Devmode: isn't cheating if it's fun.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

jamaicancastle

Quote from: Shurp on December 05, 2017, 08:21:00 PM
Devmode: isn't cheating if it's fun.
Corollary: lightning is always fun.  :D

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: jamaicancastle on December 05, 2017, 08:26:03 PM
Quote from: Shurp on December 05, 2017, 08:21:00 PM
Devmode: isn't cheating if it's fun.
Corollary: lightning is always fun.  :D
It's not cheating if I roleplay it as some unseen deity taking pity on the colony and striking down the raiders.

BugPowderDust

Quote from: Sbilko on December 05, 2017, 11:22:49 AM
An important thing you should prioritize putting in your first room as soon as possible is the research bench. You want to research automated turrets, so you must research microelectronics first.

A18 made turrets really slow to get- you now have to research 5 (Smithing, Machining, Gunsmithing, Blowback Operation and MicroElectronics) pre-req researches before you can get to turrets!!

h1tmanc

Planning tool is your friend.

CyberianK

Quote from: h1tmanc on December 06, 2017, 07:39:36 AM
Planning tool is your friend.
Noob here...
What do you mean with planning tool?

h1tmanc

Quote from: CyberianK on December 07, 2017, 03:06:05 AM
Noob here...
What do you mean with planning tool?

It's in the order tab, it's just a marker you can set down on a tile to designate to yourself where you plan to build like I literally more or less plan my full base out with it (bedrooms, mess halls, kitchens, freezers, crafting rooms, storage, the backbone of your base basically) before my pawns have even exited their landing pods, makes the development of your colony alot smoother and you can ensure you don't run out of space mid-game this way too.

Generalkrunk

The new queue command tool is amazing and you should use it all the time. You can also use it while drafted just fyi.
Everything burns.

Goldenpotatoes

Insect meat is a valid organic source at the refinery when it comes to making chemfuel. I hated infestations a lot less after realizing this.

lancar

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on December 07, 2017, 09:28:08 AM
Insect meat is a valid organic source at the refinery when it comes to making chemfuel. I hated infestations a lot less after realizing this.
Insect meat is also great for making kibble. Animals dont mind the taste at all.

Canute

Or simple meal's to sell to visitors, if your pawn eat fine meals.
Same for human meat, except the butchery debuff.