Flooding

Started by Arkay_The_Arcane, December 06, 2017, 04:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkay_The_Arcane

A new event: Flooding
Flooding is an event that is more common closer to the coast. It has 3 severities: Minor flood, Major flood and Extreme Flood

A minor flood is a bit of a tradeoff. Movement speed outside is slowed down, but crops grow slightly faster. Dirt also becomes more of an issue, because of muddy feet.

A major flood is a bit more serious. Crops will drown, movement speed is severely slowed outside, and if a door to the outside is opened, the room it connects too will be flooded too.

An extreme flood is, as the name implies, incredibly dangerous. Movement speed outside is VERY slow, most plantlife drowns, along with most animal life, and same as with a major flood, rooms can get flooded.

In order to combat flooding, two new buildings could be added: Floodbags and pumps.
A floodbag is a sandbag, but specialized in holding back water. If it's places in front of a door, the room will not be flooded during major floods. They cost the same as a sandbag, and don't slow down movement speed.

The pump is a wall-block, similar to a cooler, that will pump flood water out of a building, into the outside. It requires the same amount of energy as a cooler.

doomdrvk

This seems like a good realistic idea, unfortunately I don't believe Rimworld has a dynamic water system so a whole new system would have to implemented for this one event.

betoid

Quote from: doomdrvk on December 06, 2017, 04:55:27 PM
This seems like a good realistic idea, unfortunately I don't believe Rimworld has a dynamic water system so a whole new system would have to implemented for this one event.

Actually water is a tile. There are ways to move tiles, like placing a carpet. This can work in a similiar way.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Robotic_Killer on December 06, 2017, 04:21:27 PM

A floodbag is a sandbag, but specialized in holding back water. If it's places in front of a door, the room will not be flooded during major floods. They cost the same as a sandbag, and don't slow down movement speed.

What's the difference? Why not just add this property to normal sandbags?

Other than that though, pretty neat idea.

doomdrvk

Quote from: betoid on December 06, 2017, 08:02:39 PM
Actually water is a tile. There are ways to move tiles, like placing a carpet. This can work in a similiar way.
But it wouldn't work like he said as the water would immediately destroy or prevent people from building on it instead of flooding where the water fills constantly and causes problems overtime.

Vlad0mi3r

I don't think we will see this in Vanilla any time soon if at all.

If it was a thing I think dykes or levies should be a wall type that you can build. Triple the material cost and double the construction time to make but they are impervious to water.

There are already moisture pumps in game. These would only need to be adjusted a bit to make them deal with the flooding issue.

Would flood waters when they recede leave behind fertile soil? Like in Egypt before the dams were built.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

Snafu_RW

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on December 07, 2017, 05:07:48 PMWould flood waters when they recede leave behind fertile soil? Like in Egypt before the dams were built.
Likewise for moisture pumps & marshy soil. I can understand lack of fertile soil in sea borders (think salt marsh), but not for freshwater..
Dom 8-)

Guluere

Instead of floodbags, just have sandbags do just that!