Saving Incapacitated Refugee From Hypothermia

Started by The-MathMog, December 06, 2017, 10:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The-MathMog

Back at playing this amazing game after a long needed break, but wow has it gotten its claws back on me!

So, I just had a situation which I haven't found an easy solution to.

My colony is at the south pole, with temperatures often plummeting to minus mid 70's. I had a caravan out collecting some treasure (a vanometric power-cell, lovely), when an "incapacitated refugee-event" popped up a day's march from it. I thought why not.
The refugee was surrounded by sleeping mechanoids, but they didn't awake when I pulled her away from there. When leaving, I realised the issue. She would die very quickly from hypothermia, I and couldn't figure out a way to get her to wear the other clothes that they caravan brought with them.
One solution could have been, leaving the map, settling on another close spot, and then have the original colony send materials for making a small temporary building, for her to heal and heat up in, until she would hopefully join? But what a hassle that would be, so I just ended up letting her die. But it still annoys me that I couldn't come up with a proper solution to this, that wouldn't have been costly.

I would've hoped I could just drag clothes onto her, as I can with my colonists during caravans. Helping an unconscious person put on some warm clothes isn't all that impossible.. :/ 

So, any ideas guys, or is this just a case of "having to put in the huge effort, because you chose to live in the most inhospitable place" kind of situation :P

RemingtonRyder

If you have spare clothes, you can drag them to her on the Gear tab of the caravan once it has reformed.

Shurp

You could also try hanging out on the mini-map and building a room for her to sleep in, switch the clothes around in, etc.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

The-MathMog

Quote from: MarvinKosh on December 06, 2017, 10:53:31 PM
If you have spare clothes, you can drag them to her on the Gear tab of the caravan once it has reformed.
As I mentioned, I couldn't do that as she wasn't recruited and was incapacitated, so her portrait didn't show in there.

Only solution seems to build a small room on said minimap, meaning sending resources or mining. Unfortunate :/

Hans Lemurson

It is hard to save people who have not yet been assimilated into your colony's collective consciousness.  You speak to them, but they do not hear you, and they die outside of the embrace of true unity.  :'(
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Shurp

Thanks for reinforcing the impression that Rimworld is a game of building interstellar cults!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Hans Lemurson

Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Shurp on December 07, 2017, 12:49:16 AM
You could also try hanging out on the mini-map and building a room for her to sleep in, switch the clothes around in, etc.

That's probably the best bet, you don't need that much wood to throw down several torches for heat + quite possibly peg legs.  Unless you're on sea ice, ice sheet, or maybe extreme desert you can probably even chop the wood.  You can definitely carry enough though since you don't need much at all.