[B19] Wild Animal Sex 3.2 - Now it just feels... natural....~

Started by WalkingProblem, December 07, 2017, 02:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Zalpha on December 10, 2017, 09:18:06 AM
I use Allow Tool and WILD ANIMAL SEX mod.

Thanks to the wild animals have sex mod and how easy it is too tame a rat (I wanted to level up my skill) I used the all of the 'Select Similar' Tool and set about to tame all the maps rats.

Soon I had 6 rats that where pregnant, next thing I know I have 20 rats. I then trained them and created a rat army which when I get attacked, I set the plague on them. It is really the first time I have role-played while playing. I re-named my trainer too 'The Rat King' and have the horde following their master around. It is super sweet.

I created an account just to post this. XD

Nice!

From my testings (short one though), the predators hunt more or less once a day. And if they over hunt, the game "by right" should be spawning new animals into the map.... So it should be balanced.

Like I used to hunt all the rats on my map, and before I know it, the rats are back on the menu. You can just stick to 1.1.

As for mod option - the main reason is because I have yet to learn HugsLib. So no mod options until I learn that. haha

Zalpha

So on my other play through when I first played with this mod. I had a huge visible world that balanced itself out with a large amount of predators that bread and spawned with the mobs. I never had an issue (at least I think they bread as well, well I didn't have any issues with this mod). I added a few more mods and started a new world to use them, a mountainous alcove, most of the map hidden, with only a small area visible. I only had 1 Panther and 6-10 boars in that area, then I had 30 boars and only 1 panther, it got out of control. At one point before I reloaded, animal revenge resulted in 30 wild boar attacking me all at once. XD

I used the god mode cheat and spawned a few more predators but they instead went after my tamed animals, so it didn't help.

A lightning storm caused a wild fire that killed half of the wild animals for a while, that helped but soon I was over run again. The mobs in a huge map aren't so noticeable compared to a cramped space. I am unsure if the game loads assets you can't see but I don't think it does so all 50 or so animals allowed on the map came to swarm over me.

I can see the need to balance it out with more hunger.

SpaceDorf

This mod becomes really scary when you combine it with RF's rascally rabbits or WP's own Rabbids ..

suddenly there are about 80-100 small critters on the map that devour everything in their path.
I think only Caerbannog Rabbits can compete with this amount of pray.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

WalkingProblem

WILD ANIMAL SEX VER1.3 RELEASED!!!

Now with more predators to keep the population in control~~

CHANGELOG 1.3:
– Increased predators spawn rates by 3 times.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://walkingproblem.com/
FORUM LINK: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37461.0
STEAM DOWNLOAD: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1224175982
NON-STEAM DOWNLOAD: http://walkingproblem.com/sdm_downloads/wild-animal-sex-ver1-3/
DEVELOPER'S DISCORD: https://discord.gg/W2Vb27T
FACEBOOK PAGE: http://fb.com/walkingproblem

wwWraith

Wouldn't it be better to just inject some lower chance for wild animals to get sex / become pregnant / actually give birth? Probably even dynamically linked / scaled to the vanilla chance of the animals coming from the "outer world" or just their current numbers, so it will behave like the new animals will be born instead of just spawned when they are not too many of them. This way the population will be auto-regulated without other changes that may lead to unbalancing in other gameplay areas.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: wwWraith on December 16, 2017, 02:24:30 AM
Wouldn't it be better to just inject some lower chance for wild animals to get sex / become pregnant / actually give birth? Probably even dynamically linked / scaled to the vanilla chance of the animals coming from the "outer world" or just their current numbers, so it will behave like the new animals will be born instead of just spawned when they are not too many of them. This way the population will be auto-regulated without other changes that may lead to unbalancing in other gameplay areas.

These mechanics are already in the vanilla game. 

So when there is an over population due to new births, no new animals will be introduced.

Thats why I need my vanilla predators to spawn (because sometimes, they do not spawn at all - and they causes the overpopulation issue)

wwWraith

I used a first version of this mod for my colony that is now 2 years old and there are more than hundred capybaras and wild boars and only 1 panther who evidently won't reproduce. I also have a pack of dogs that hunt them. But herbivores still grow their numbers and don't seem to leave the map even while the most of it was burned so they should have problems with grazing. Also I probably won't get any new species while there are too many animals exist already. Now I'm afraid to try newer version with more predators because it looks like I may get the same hundred of them, too, while they won't hunt some animal species at all (e.g. boomrats/boomalopes and large herbivores like elephants or megasloths).

I mean, while in vanilla the map "balances" at e.g. 30 animals, with this mod it becomes stable with 150. And I think it alters the gameplay too much (thought it may be called still balanced gameplay-wise as it brings more both advantages and dangers for colonists). So I think it's better to find some way to prevent overpopulation at all rather than trying to deal with it afterwards. And the most logical way that comes to my mind is to let wild animals reproduce only when their numbers are low.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

SpaceDorf

The problem is the bodysize of the prey animals.

predators only hunt animals smaller than themselves. Thats why anything larger than muffalos only get hunted by bears and only when there is nothing else for them to eat.

The only solution I see for this is an overhauled predator / prey behavior.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

kaptain_kavern

Which I already have done (at least some) in my Vanilla Animal Overhaul.

I've made more animals predators, and change some maxPreyBodysize values :-) (which can be superior to predator size if set specifically).

I also can adjust/add more tweaks to my mod try to address this... I'm open to suggestion as well as I'm willing to help for Walking Problem 's one.

Best regards, colleagues

WalkingProblem

Quote from: wwWraith on December 16, 2017, 05:50:52 AM
I used a first version of this mod for my colony that is now 2 years old and there are more than hundred capybaras and wild boars and only 1 panther who evidently won't reproduce. I also have a pack of dogs that hunt them. But herbivores still grow their numbers and don't seem to leave the map even while the most of it was burned so they should have problems with grazing. Also I probably won't get any new species while there are too many animals exist already. Now I'm afraid to try newer version with more predators because it looks like I may get the same hundred of them, too, while they won't hunt some animal species at all (e.g. boomrats/boomalopes and large herbivores like elephants or megasloths).

I mean, while in vanilla the map "balances" at e.g. 30 animals, with this mod it becomes stable with 150. And I think it alters the gameplay too much (thought it may be called still balanced gameplay-wise as it brings more both advantages and dangers for colonists). So I think it's better to find some way to prevent overpopulation at all rather than trying to deal with it afterwards. And the most logical way that comes to my mind is to let wild animals reproduce only when their numbers are low.

Actually you over worried. Like you mentioned, in vanilla, there could only be 1 predator. So when I raised it 3 times, all I did was to ensure that the few predators species actually spawn to put the ecosystem into a balance. I did my testings and it should kindda work (dun forget you may kill the predators yourself as well) 

But if your map is already full of creatures... you just need to wait for a toxic fallout or a massive fire to get them all killed, so the ecosystem can rebalance itself (because I dun think the predators can eat THAT much)

Seriously, try the new version before voicing out concerns which could already been addressed in the release.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on December 16, 2017, 10:17:04 AM
Link in the OP for non Steam download still leads to v1.2.

Oops. Sorry. Updated.

for your convenience: http://walkingproblem.com/sdm_downloads/wild-animal-sex-ver1-3/

Quote from: SpaceDorf on December 16, 2017, 11:08:02 AM
The problem is the bodysize of the prey animals.

predators only hunt animals smaller than themselves. Thats why anything larger than muffalos only get hunted by bears and only when there is nothing else for them to eat.

The only solution I see for this is an overhauled predator / prey behavior.

Which also means there wont be "over-population" issues. Because baby animals of even Muffalos, will get hunted by wolves.

(sidenote: bears are actually quite rare in Rimworld, based on what I see in the settings)

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on December 16, 2017, 11:21:53 AM
Which I already have done (at least some) in my Vanilla Animal Overhaul.

I've made more animals predators, and change some maxPreyBodysize values :-) (which can be superior to predator size if set specifically).

I also can adjust/add more tweaks to my mod try to address this... I'm open to suggestion as well as I'm willing to help for Walking Problem 's one.

Best regards, colleagues

Currently, I need people to try the new version and see if there is balance. Because I think its balanced now with the new update. I took 4-5 hours just to do this balancing.

Madman666

So will this mod update my map's predator spawn rate if I add it to existing save?

Madman666

Quote from: Walking Problem on December 17, 2017, 01:05:00 PM
Yes.

Ok, good to know. I will try it out)) Having triple spawn of double-hungry predators seems too damn scary though.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Madman666 on December 17, 2017, 02:33:05 PM
Ok, good to know. I will try it out)) Having triple spawn of double-hungry predators seems too damn scary though.

Honestly, you wont even "feel it".

It only sounds scary.