[B19] Wild Animal Sex 3.2 - Now it just feels... natural....~

Started by WalkingProblem, December 07, 2017, 02:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falia18

Hi !
(First of all, sorry if I make mistake, english isn't my native tongue :D)
I tried your mod on my save because I liked the idea of wild animals to breed !

I played for like 10 hours without problem, but then, I started to notice some lags when I was playing in 3x speed. I thought it won't last, but it was only getting worst as time passes. As I tried a lot of new mods in a row, I didn't know what caused that, until I noticed a REALLY LARGE AMOUNT OF WILD ANIMALS ! THEY WERE EVERYWHERE ! At least ten time the normal amount ! Don't know why they aren't leaving the area, but I just spent the last hour killing all of them with the instant death debug tool  :o . I killed at least 500+ of them, and I'm not done yet !

I think you should verify the number of animals on the map before allowing them to breed !

Hope it will be fixed soon because I like your mod !

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Falia18 on December 18, 2017, 08:34:39 AM
Hi !
(First of all, sorry if I make mistake, english isn't my native tongue :D)
I tried your mod on my save because I liked the idea of wild animals to breed !

I played for like 10 hours without problem, but then, I started to notice some lags when I was playing in 3x speed. I thought it won't last, but it was only getting worst as time passes. As I tried a lot of new mods in a row, I didn't know what caused that, until I noticed a REALLY LARGE AMOUNT OF WILD ANIMALS ! THEY WERE EVERYWHERE ! At least ten time the normal amount ! Don't know why they aren't leaving the area, but I just spent the last hour killing all of them with the instant death debug tool  :o . I killed at least 500+ of them, and I'm not done yet !

I think you should verify the number of animals on the map before allowing them to breed !

Hope it will be fixed soon because I like your mod !

Its not a "bug"... lol

Making animals mate is one thing - making them mate only when the animal population is not beyond a certain limit is a totally different proposition. I doubt I will do such a fix at all.

The solution is not to kill off all the predators on the map. The same ecological problems exists in real life.

For example at the yellowstone national park in United States, there had been a lack of predator after the wolves are hunted to extinction in the late 1930s, and early 1940s. As a result, the local elk population exploded. The imbalance ecology causes major damage to plant life in the park.

In 1995-1996, grey wolves are reintroduced into the park, and after studying the impact of the reintroduction of the wolves, they found that the only 20 percent of the new aspen tree spouts are eaten by elks, as compared to 100% previously. Not just aspen trees; cottonwood and willows both recovered. With the better health of the forest, the bird population also increased. It as led to an increase in beaver populations from 1 to 12 in 2009. The beaver ponds brought a 75 times increase in ducks in the Wyoming streams.

Coyotes population dropped, but as a result, increases the number of small preys, thus increasing the population of red fox, ravens and bald eagles.

Source: http://www.bitsofscience.org/wolf-yellowstone-predators-forests-4492/

---

Adding this mod, adds realism. But realism also means new realities.

So, my short answer again is: I wont fix it.

Madman666

F...g hell, 500+ animals? Wow. You were damn right about trippling predator hunger rate and doubling the spawn. Holy shit, I didn't expect such numbers.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Madman666 on December 20, 2017, 05:06:22 PM
F...g hell, 500+ animals? Wow. You were damn right about trippling predator hunger rate and doubling the spawn. Holy shit, I didn't expect such numbers.

I not sure how they are able to allow animals to spawn so much... they must be vegans... LOL!

Madman666

Welp, I know one thing for sure - come spring, I won't be having any meat shortage related problems))

SpaceDorf

well the rabbits bread like rabbits .. so do the squirrels and rats ..

Happened to me as well ..  the worst though was WP's Rabbids ..
they entered the map and started breeding .. I set them to be hunted and all my predators to live without food stockpile ..
2 days later I had 80 of those little brats and had to send out killsquads ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: SpaceDorf on December 21, 2017, 02:19:46 AM
well the rabbits bread like rabbits .. so do the squirrels and rats ..

Happened to me as well ..  the worst though was WP's Rabbids ..
they entered the map and started breeding .. I set them to be hunted and all my predators to live without food stockpile ..
2 days later I had 80 of those little brats and had to send out killsquads ..

Yes. Rabbids are designed to be a threat. They will breed even without the Animal Sex mod.  =x

They are supposed to breed and multiply and eat up your entire map. So yeap, they are working correctly, and you sending out killsquads is exactly what I meant the players to do. =P

Falia18

I understood your point, in not fixing that, but I swear I didn't kill any predator except the ones who have gone crazy. The thing is there wasn't many of them in the map from the beginning, and the large number of animals on the map doesn't allow the game to spawn new ones. So they were not killing animals fast enough.
At the end, they were breeding faster than my pawns were able to kill them cause I noticed the probleme really late (and I usually don't use meat to feed my pawns).
(This is the reason why I had to use the debug tool to kill them)

I know you won't fix this as it's not a bug, but can you then add an option for "percentage chance two compatible animals will breed", that way we can have a little "control" about spreading speed of wild animals ?

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Falia18 on December 22, 2017, 04:24:20 AM
I understood your point, in not fixing that, but I swear I didn't kill any predator except the ones who have gone crazy. The thing is there wasn't many of them in the map from the beginning, and the large number of animals on the map doesn't allow the game to spawn new ones. So they were not killing animals fast enough.
At the end, they were breeding faster than my pawns were able to kill them cause I noticed the probleme really late (and I usually don't use meat to feed my pawns).
(This is the reason why I had to use the debug tool to kill them)

I know you won't fix this as it's not a bug, but can you then add an option for "percentage chance two compatible animals will breed", that way we can have a little "control" about spreading speed of wild animals ?

Actually there is another solution. I can create incidents to force spawn predators.

wwWraith

Better create incident to force migrate out overpopulated animals ;) Because I think even now it becomes a way too big overhaul instead of what we expected. And still there are boomrats and boomalopes...
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Madman666

Hey I've got a question for you. Do animals still leave the map in winter when it gets cold enough? Because you know, most predators still stay. And thats where that triple hunger and double spawn rate can get incredibly deadly for you colonists.

Also I really damn like the idea of an event that spawns a wolf pack or some cougars, panthers etc. Especially if you can make it work sorta like hidden "firewatcher" works in RW - it starts a rain if there is too much fire on the map. So if there is too many herbivores - it'd send a pack of wolves to balance it out. Something like that, eh? If theres an event of a herd migration for herbivores, there definitely should be something similar for predators.

Canute

Quote from: Walking Problem on December 22, 2017, 02:02:27 PM
Actually there is another solution. I can create incidents to force spawn predators.
Maybe the incidents checks what animal got the most amount a create a special animal hunt pack.
At example the map got overpopulated with squirel/hare  the event will spawn just the proper small predator animal like fox.
More critical it would be for larger animal, then you need bigger predators but these will hunt more or less anything.
I don't think you can force predator just to hunt a special kind of animals.

SpaceDorf

Jecrells Spiders have a hugslib menu with a spawnrate setting.

Maybe you can find some Inspiration there.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Madman666

Quote from: SpaceDorf on December 22, 2017, 03:42:50 PM
Jecrells Spiders have a hugslib menu with a spawnrate setting.

Maybe you can find some Inspiration there.

You mean Arachnophobia right? Actually thats rather nice mod to play with this one. I tried it, but it made me basically micromanage every single run outside outer walls, because spiders annihilated every little living being in the wilds and always killed someone if I didn't clear them out on a regular basis and that was really annoying. With this much new game it should be actually fine to play with.