More in-depth beer

Started by Arkay_The_Arcane, December 07, 2017, 03:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkay_The_Arcane

This idea is to expand beer just a tiny bit more, with a few small changes.

1: Drinking too much alchohol can cause liver and kidney failure, which is fatal if not treated.

2: Livers and kidneys are now transplantable. Livers are different in harvesting in that it is made of two halves, and if only one half is removed, and the other half functions normally, it can regrow overtime (Yes, this actually happens IRL over the course of years). Kidneys do not.

3: Self-made beer has a small chance of causing Methanol Poisoning. It causes blindness, and if not treated, death.
This can be combatted by building a filtration system through which alchohol can optionally go to remove all methanol, and thus also all chance of methanol poisoning.

4: Molotov cocktails should be craftable with beer (for the bottle), cloth and chemfuel.

Vlad0mi3r

1. Any in game drug addiction can cause damage to organs with withdrawal.

2. I am sure that there are considerable side effects of only having half your liver in place. Why do things by halves when raiders bring you whole livers and kidneys and lungs all the time.

3. Small chance is your key point here. Properly made home brew has no chance of causing the issues your talking about. Note the use of the word properly.

4. See point 2 why make something that Raiders drop off all the time.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

jamaicancastle

Regarding point 4 - sure, raiders bring them "all the time", but why have such a useful class of weapons (incendiaries) completely locked behind whether the storyteller feels like giving them to you that day?

Although a proper molotov cocktail should really be made with chemfuel rather than alcohol.

Bolgfred

All the liver problems are already implemented in game, so no reason to change something on that.
That blindness thing sounds rather annoying, if it's simply adding another step in production chain, which only will try to take away the fun from drugs.
But making molotovs yourself would be really cool. actually its a way how one could sell rice to weapon traiders: rice -> chemfuel -> molotov

Quote from: jamaicancastle on December 08, 2017, 09:08:15 AM
Although a proper molotov cocktail should really be made with chemfuel rather than alcohol.
There is no reason not to make a molotov with alcohol... .. but not with beer. For burning you need 50% alcohol - beer is around 3-10%, so this molotov make the opponent wet and drunken, instead of burning.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

asanbr

Great idea to make molotovs craftable.

It shouldn't require beer though, that's a ridiculous detour. We just need a bottle.

Bolgfred

Quote from: asanbr on December 08, 2017, 10:08:57 AM
It shouldn't require beer though, that's a ridiculous detour. We just need a bottle.
Sounds very dwarfish to me:
We never had enough bottles, but since we're brewing beer we have so many bottles, we can use them for otther things, like filling chemfuel into them. We only have to spill out the beer from these bottles again, so we can use them for better things
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Boston

1) already happens

2) already happens IIRC

3) absolute nonsense

Methanol is a byproduct of the process of distilling ethanol. It is present because it boils out of the mash at a lower temperature than ethanol.

If you arent distilling ethanol, you wont get methanol byproducts. Beer is fermented, not distilled.

4) also nonsense.

For one, you need liquids with high flammability for use in a molotov cocktail. Beer has an ABV% of anywhere between 3-10%. That isnt nearly high enough.

Secondly, molotov cocktails are more than just a flash of flame. Even high-proof spirits function poorly as molotov-fuel, because alone they just flash up and go out. You need to mix the spirit with something like tar or oil to let it actually meaningfully burn.

I, for one, think that brewing should be both expanded and simplified. Let me explain.

Brewing is,quite literally, stone age technology. Archaeologists actually hypothesize that the neolithic revolution (aka the spread of agriculture) was started in order to ensure enough grain was available to use for beer, as opposed for food. Humans brewed beer back in the PALEOLITHIC.

Hops arent necessary to brew beer. All they do is add flavor and act as a preservative. All you technically need is a starch (which can be pretty much any food crop, including all the growable crops in game.) And yeast, which cqn be found on the surfaces of most plant crops.

I feel that forcing me to grow hops in order to produce a dietary staple, when in reality i could use excess potatoes, corn,  even wild berries or cattails (iv3 mad3 cattail beer in real life. It turned out excellent) is needlessly restrictive

Vlad0mi3r

Quote from: Boston on December 08, 2017, 11:40:49 AM

I, for one, think that brewing should be both expanded and simplified. Let me explain.

Brewing is,quite literally, stone age technology. Archaeologists actually hypothesize that the neolithic revolution (aka the spread of agriculture) was started in order to ensure enough grain was available to use for beer, as opposed for food. Humans brewed beer back in the PALEOLITHIC.

Hops arent necessary to brew beer. All they do is add flavor and act as a preservative. All you technically need is a starch (which can be pretty much any food crop, including all the growable crops in game.) And yeast, which cqn be found on the surfaces of most plant crops.

I feel that forcing me to grow hops in order to produce a dietary staple, when in reality i could use excess potatoes, corn,  even wild berries or cattails (iv3 mad3 cattail beer in real life. It turned out excellent) is needlessly restrictive

Yep agree 100% always thought that the wort recipe should require a vegetable component in order to cover the starch requirement. Maybe restrict it to rice, potato and corn at 20 units per wort.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503