When backstories don't match...

Started by Yoshida Keiji, December 08, 2017, 10:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

Like if getting an Incapable of Violence with Chemical fascination is totally rigged for each Colony to have at least three of them.

You read the character profile and after finding out the disappointment of being a non-Combat with Adulthood of "Warrior":

QuoteTranca was a fearsome warrior,  proficient with many weapons. She participated in many battles.

I hate how I keep getting IoVs all the time.

mndfreeze

I kinda feel like there is definitely a higher chance for incapable of violence characters because I feel like I almost ALWAYS get them as my first few colonist join events, either wanderer or pod crashing.

I've started just ignoring any people with that option completely unless they have reallllly good other stats, because its just to important that a character be able to fight, especially in the early and mid game.  End game is totally different and since you usually have a well established group of geared fighters and such, you can get away with having more dedicated non-combatants.

Hans Lemurson

Maybe she swore to "Never kill again"?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Penguinmanereikel

Tynan hasn't exactly fixed up backstories so that every childhood matches with an adulthood that makes sense.

SpaceDorf

The problem with this kind of checking is the pure amount of tests that has to be applied.
Which would slow down character generation by 500%
or each Backstory needs to have a list of which childhood or adult story doesn't match .. which bloats the configs and slows down character generation.

finally this kind of tests would shrink the pool of possible pawns.
the next step would be to match the traits to the backstories because they are implausible most of the time too.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

Pretty much the only check in vanilla is that backstories can't be matched if the adulthood story requires a work type that the childhood story disables. That can be problematic, as in the example above. And many backstories don't actually specifically require appropriate work types, anyway.

In "Editable Backstories," I've alleviated the problem a bit by expanding upon the filtering. First, the work type matching is checked both ways. (Backstories won't be matched if *either* requires a work type that the other disables.) And also, if a backstory adds more than three skill points to a particular skill, it's treated as requiring the appropriate work type, even if it isn't specifically defined to do so, and if it subtracts more than three skill points from a particular skill, it's treated for matching purposes as if it disables the appropriate work type.

It's far from perfect, but it does dramatically reduce the number of pawns with backstory sets that just don't make any sense together.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Penguinmanereikel

Quote from: SpaceDorf on December 10, 2017, 12:13:34 AM
The problem with this kind of checking is the pure amount of tests that has to be applied.
Which would slow down character generation by 500%
or each Backstory needs to have a list of which childhood or adult story doesn't match .. which bloats the configs and slows down character generation.

finally this kind of tests would shrink the pool of possible pawns.
the next step would be to match the traits to the backstories because they are implausible most of the time too.
All there would have to be is to have each childhood backstory connect a certain set of possible adult backstories. When generating a character, after the childhood backstory is generated, an adult backstory is selected from its corresponding set of adult backstories.
This doesn't mean that adult backstories are confined to a single childhood backstory. Only that unreasonable combinations don't occur.

Yoshida Keiji

QuoteNAME was born during a catastrophic war in which both sides used napalm extensively. He/She grew up helping his/her parents in an infirmary, treating the cascade of horrific burns from the battlefields. He/She was left with a lifelong fear of fire.

QuoteOn a medieval world, the fastest way to send a message is to give it to somebody on a horse and hope they survive the journey. NAME was that somebody.

We got ourselves a time-traveler.

Canute

What do you await from a pre-warp spacetravel, when all passenger are at cyrosleep caskets ?
But they arn't time traveller like McFly or Dr.Who.