Any ideas on how to make rimworld less cpu/gpu intensive?

Started by patoka, December 09, 2017, 03:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patoka

Hello guys

i've been playing RimWorld on my older laptop for half a year by now and didnt really ever run into problems, only once my colony grew a lot (3 towns, 40 pawns and 70 animals approximately and up to 3 caravans that may or may not be fighting currently) did i encounter some lag if i scrolled around the map too fast or when multiple colonists started and ended many jobs after eachother (cleaning, short hauling, easy sowing/harvesting, large battles, building long wooden walls and cables etc)
but that i always considered to be very acceptable, seeing as that was a small laptop that i bought now almost two years ago, that has many other things installed already and has seen action (my gf stepped on its monitor once and now the plastic is slightly waved)

what i find to be very weird is that on this newer laptop (larger, mid-end product and less than a year old) where i can play fallout new vegas, tf2 and war thunder no problem i suddenly run into the issue that when starting a new game where i select my landing site with the 3d model of the planet, it lags VERY much. i can barely move the map, zooming in takes a minute and once i moved the camera it never stops moving (although it never moves fast either). starting the game and being on the actually playable map where your pawns land at only very slightly improve the lag, so it isnt the 3d map only, but the game itself once i leave the main menu.

i do not think it is a problem with my laptop, because the program runs smoothly while i edit a scenario. i do have some mods enabled, but they were also installed on my other laptop and there it didnt make such an issue.

my question is ofc if there is a way to make the game more efficient, or if i was doing sth obvious wrong, but i havent seen anything i could easily change like in other games where i can just turn the graphics lower. are there maybe mods that make the game more efficient? i have heard of one that is good for late game colonies or one that removes superfluous social structures, but this wouldnt help me here because i would start a new game.

any other ideas?
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

Crow_T

Some ideas:
Turn off plant sway

Try these mods
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37257.0
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31646.0

I'd recommend backing up your save first if it's a long play before trying mods
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

patoka

thanks for the tips, i dont think this helps me with my most urgent issue, but the mod lists aer very nice. i will try them on my other laptop though :)
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

Calahan

It would help if you stated the Specs of both your computers. RimWorld is almost entirely CPU dependent, and on your single core speed. So being able to run heavily GPU dependent games at maximum settings is rarely a relevant comparison in regards to how well a computer will run RimWorld.

You should also start a new vanilla game to rule out the lag being mod related. As even though the mods you use worked fine on your other computer maybe there is a problem with them on your new one. You should also check the log file on your new computer in case the slow speed is caused by the game constantly logging errors. Which could be due to mod issues (as mentioned) or due to GPU driver issues.

And regarding the latter, please check that your GPU drivers are up to date, are installed properly, and that the game can detect them, and for both GPU's (if your laptop can play heavy GPU based games with ease then I assume your laptop has two GPU's). A few people have had issues of heavy lag even before the game starts due to the game being unable to detect the GPU/GPU drivers properly, meaning the game was forced to use the backup emergency Microsoft GPU driver instead (which relies entirely on the CPU, meaning the game can't use the CPU, which means the performance tanks)

If you are sure your GPU drivers are up to date etc etc then please post your log file (as an attachment ideally) from a new vanilla game on your new laptop. Details on where you find you log file can be found here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0

patoka

oh i am unblocked again
also i forgot i made this thread
the issue got resolved because that other laptop got stolen
my own laptop which is older and plays rimworld just well turns out to have an edge over the newer one because eventhough the gpu is crap, the cpu is single core and seemingly beat the dual core of the newer one and gpu.
thanks for the answers though
sorry for necro

sai05

can i join here ?

i have problem with my game . Buy sell in base working fine but when in caravan they become frezz both Vanila (non Mod ) or with mod when you klick "sell / buy cursor"

im already post my detail in "Bug" but no one reply there
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=39198.0

please help

Calahan

@ sai05 - Please do not hijack support threads to ask for help with problems that are not related to the problem being dealt with in the thread. Your problem is very likely a mod related bug and so not the same problem Patoka is asking for help with.

You said in your bug thread that you have the same problem with the vanilla game, so please reproduce the bug/crash with a vanilla game (so do not use any mods at all) and post the save and log file. If you do that then the developers will take a look at the problem when they begin looking at the bug reports (but that could be weeks or months from now). If you can not reproduce the problem in a vanilla game then the problem is with a mod(s), and so I will move your bug thread to mod bugs.