Insects in winter seal up entrances to protect the hive

Started by RemingtonRyder, December 09, 2017, 06:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

When you have insect hives in mountain caves in very cold biomes, they can frequently die in the winter.

There is the obvious downside of a bunch of insects going nuts because their hive has poofed, but you also kind of wonder, how did these hives come to be established if it's so cold for a lot of the year?

What I suggest is that when the temperature starts to get cold, insects start to seal up the caves so that any heat generated (e.g. by body heat) stays inside the cave. And maybe the hives can produce something like glow pods which also produces a little bit of warmth.

PatrykSzczescie

Thank you for sharing us with the fact that insectoids easily die in cold biomes. Lemmie exploit this feature as long as it's not fixed.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: PatrykSzczescie on December 09, 2017, 06:37:12 PM
Thank you for sharing us with the fact that insectoids easily die in cold biomes. Lemmie exploit this feature as long as it's not fixed.

But wouldn't it be easier to exploit if they did this? If it's too cold for them to go outside and they seal up the entrances, you've essentially got a pre-made killbox that they can't leave.

Bakar

nice, that would be more balanced as insectoids would pose a smaller threat in cold biomes
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Guluere

If you make a box full of coolers with the hives in them, would they just randomly build walls until they no longer feel cold anymore? It would need to have a special system that makes the game know where to make the insects build walls to stop the cold.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Guluere on December 10, 2017, 05:28:54 AM
If you make a box full of coolers with the hives in them, would they just randomly build walls until they no longer feel cold anymore? It would need to have a special system that makes the game know where to make the insects build walls to stop the cold.

I guess they would have to only do it when they are in the 'outside' temperature zone

Penguinmanereikel

I propose some kind of system that makes the insects go into some kind of hibernative state at very cold temperatures.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: Penguinmanereikel on December 10, 2017, 02:19:47 PM
I propose some kind of system that makes the insects go into some kind of hibernative state at very cold temperatures.

This could work as well

Call me Arty

Idea:
Cocoons. They might even be able to evolve into a higher level of insect over that winter.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Bolgfred

Can I butcher hibernating insects? I think I want to butcher them.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

MajorMonotone

This is a really cool idea and can actually be expanded upon to make insects more interesting.

Insects behave as normal through out the summer and spring but during autumn they'll actively seek out food to stockpile in their caves then in winter they will produce more jelly that can be used to create walls to seal off their caves. From then on the insects go into a dormant state and only awake to eat from the food they stockpiled or if the cave is entered by other life forms.

Penguinmanereikel

Quote from: Bolgfred on December 12, 2017, 03:44:46 AM

Can I butcher hibernating insects? I think I want to butcher them.
Well if you're okay with waking them up and eating your intestines out alive, sure.