Manhunter Pack Overpowered?

Started by tymur999, February 03, 2018, 12:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tymur999

I had a manhunter pack on Randy Random spawn in with 40 cats. There were only 10 colonists in my base, 3 could not do violence, and the cats shredded my entire army. Thank goodness I wasn't on permadeath mode. How do you avoid this? I don't want to keep reloading to the last autosave because of a cat army.

Canute

- colonist are colonist, doesn't matter if you accept violence ones or not. They maybe count a bit less. But you accept them and didn't kicked them out.
- Manhunter pack's are only dangerous if you have an open architecture. You can eiter sit them out behind walls, or pretty simple kill them when you fight at the door (or similar) when just 1 animal need to fight against 3 colonist, and other can shoot from behind into the crowd.

Dashthechinchilla

Cats do relatively little damage individually. And their body size is small. The only threat there is the volume. That can be managed with a little bit of tactics like funneling them to a doorway you are defending from.

Jibbles

Restrict your colonists indoors and wait it out. It's the best things to do with small animal if you have access to food and not prepared. since I hate to wait..I usually send some melees to fight small animals as they die from one hit most of the time. If you're just trying to shoot small animals at close range then get wrecked. I wait for the moment to attack so they don't all gang up on a pawn and I keep them near a door. I switch pawns if their injuries add up so they don't get downed at a door leaving it open.  I rarely build wooden doors since animals bust them up. I repair doors when hp is low. I have many exit points most of the time so pawns won't get trapped. It also gives my shooters more opportunities to fight efficiently. The downside is that it gives raiders another way inside if you're trying to bunker up.

You deal with manhunter packs in different ways depending on the animal.  It's just something you learn as you play.  A pack of elephants isn't scary. A pack of panthers is a different story. A pack of chinchillas will take down your shooters if you don't have strategy. etc.
There's also killbox which requires less micro if that's your style.

Dashthechinchilla

Beware the manhunter pack of chickens. I had a large group guarding neurotrainers in an event. Luckily I brought panthers. Rimworld went Zelda on me.

Shurp

Boomrat  manhunters are especially dangerous...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

O Negative

Grenades are your friend 8)

You don't need accuracy if you have splash damage.
Damage done to your own structures can be always be repaired fairly easily.

Grubfist

If you wait them out, you just need to wait for them to fall asleep, they lose manhunter after they have a nice nap

Blastoderm

Never ever do open bases. Enclose as fast as possible. Turtling is the way RimWorld ticks

BoogieMan

My colony once got attacked by 66 Boomalopes.

As has been said, just lock up and stay inside if you can't deal with it. That's your best bet. So long as you don't get their attention they should eventually leave.

lancar

Quote from: BoogieMan on February 05, 2018, 06:20:01 PM
My colony once got attacked by 66 Boomalopes.

As has been said, just lock up and stay inside if you can't deal with it. That's your best bet. So long as you don't get their attention they should eventually leave.

Not to mention a swarm of manhunters is actually pretty excellent raid defense :p

Covered in Weasels

I typically will build open bases, but I have at least one section that can be used as an emergency manhunter shelter. Essentially, make sure you have an enclosed building where pawns can access food without going outside. You can set up temporary sleeping spots indoors until the manhunters fall asleep and you can return to outdoors safely.