gloves and shoes

Started by patoka, December 10, 2017, 03:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patoka

I dont wanna be that guy, but why werent gloves and shoes added to the game, yet?
there are two types of shirts and three types of jackety thingies and three types of hats, but no gloves or shoes and my colonists' fingers and toes always go flying...why

please, tynan, add them. you can make it quite simple:
for gloves:
- combat gloves that can only be made of non-hairy textiles (or you shave the hair off off-screen) and definitely no wool for that. they should add good protection with no debuffs, but barely if any insulation. easily researchable in industrial tree.
- winter gloves that lower work speed slightly but high insulation. for this to work out you might lower the workspeed debuff of parkas. researchable as complex clothing.

for shoes: (only leathers allowed, so no wool, synthread, hyperweave, cloth, devilstrand or anything weird.)
- stronk boots: high production time, cost and armor, low insulation. slight general movement debuff. gives you movement boost on chunks, trees and other items and in marshes and water. (if ever added: prevents foot dislocation). researchable in industrial tree.
- normal ass shoes: medium production cost, medium production time, low armor, slight movement buff, low insulation. researchable as complex clothing.

and if you really want to you could add shorts to these normal pants. they only give you a slight heat resistance and cold resistance, but cost less, are quicker to produce and you arent naked. no wool allowed, though.
maybe even add sandals for the superheated sand. cheap, easy to built and only adds heat insulation, not even armor.

lastly, but i guess this is definitely not main game content anymore: wood chucks could kick trees down for instant cutting if they wear boots and have cut as many % of the tree already as it already grew similarly to real life. so a fully grown tree (100%) cant be kicked, but a tree that is 90% grown can be kicked for insta-job-finish if the wood chuck cut 90% of it already. wood chucks can do that automatically of course.

i am a big coding-noob, so i cant do it myself, but this is something so essential, please dont let me down
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

patoka

wait i might be at fault here, was this stuff suggested already? it probably was but i didnt find anything regarding this

or is it because my idea is objectively bad? did i overlook something important maybe?
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

Shinzy

some things you've overlooked are how additional clothing articles may be seen as another mildly frustrating thing to keep track of on your colonists by some!
And clothes already being really huge waste of space to store

but it's still not a objectively bad idea :p

patoka

true. it would require an additional piece of furniture to be less annoying: closet ;)

but we already know what tynan thinks of new furniture for storage...

still, i believe some pieces of clothing are much less useful than others. who ever uses bowler hats if he has other alternatives? and is there a reason for there to be a difference between button down shirts and t shirts and between simple helmets and advanced helmets? both of the couples are available for you to build at the same time, but one is considerably weaker. sure, it takes less time and resources to build them, but at that rate why bother researching them if you cant afford them. if it is for more well balanced enemies you could get gloves and boots, as i suggested :/ (or use more devilstrand, hyperweave, rhinoskin and thrumbofur as material not always damn cloth, wool and weak leathers)

personally, my idea with shorts and sandals is exactly that level. you dont really need them, you might aswell skip them if you arent in a pinch. but the others seem quite essential to me. at least as essential as a jacket. (on a sidenote, am i not pro enough that i dont use jackets or is it true that dusters in most biomes are perfectly fine short-, mid- and long term? parkas are obvious, but should i technically at first make jackets for everyone so that they are properly armored until i can make helmets and armor vests?)

Third_Of_Five

Bolgfred

Muffalo slippers.... not the wool or fur, the complete muffalo.
As long these were never used outside, they stay "clean" which means a pawns dirt creatin will be greatly reduced.
For this I'd laugh when Pawns tend to change their shoes when going inside.

About gloves... I don't see a reason to add these in the current state.
They could actually be used for utilizing, meaning when working things in the cold outside without gloves you get frostbite.
They also can give a medium-to-huge manipulation debuff, depending on type and quality, and a plasteel or leather glove could reduce melee / biting damage...

But for making this work, I'd think there is a lot of changing required for something that is not really necessary. Plus, when you start gloves, you need scarves, socks and underwear.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

patoka

Quote from: Bolgfred on December 12, 2017, 03:39:24 AM
Muffalo slippers.... not the wool or fur, the complete muffalo.
As long these were never used outside, they stay "clean" which means a pawns dirt creatin will be greatly reduced.
For this I'd laugh when Pawns tend to change their shoes when going inside.

About gloves... I don't see a reason to add these in the current state.
They could actually be used for utilizing, meaning when working things in the cold outside without gloves you get frostbite.
They also can give a medium-to-huge manipulation debuff, depending on type and quality, and a plasteel or leather glove could reduce melee / biting damage...

But for making this work, I'd think there is a lot of changing required for something that is not really necessary. Plus, when you start gloves, you need scarves, socks and underwear.

i believe you are thinking too far. i was just trying to address my problem that in fights, my pawns' toes and fingers constantly are sent flying like it's star wars.
producing less dirt isnt really an issue, just get a janitor...and even if it was i dont think slippers were the way to go.
what you suggested can already be done now by wearing warm clothing, ie a parka or a tuque. what i was saying was an additional piece of clothing that would make you less dependent on a tuque for example in winter. that way you could both wear a helmet and stay a bit warmer.
and i think you underestimate good work gloves and combat gloves from nowadays. they really dont disturb you much. in fact, most construction workers wear them to keep their hands safe and they are still able to work well with their hands.
laughing out loud plasteel gloves? sounds like a hi-tech medieval piece of armor, like a gauntlet, but that isnt what i was looking for.
scarves, socks and underwear arent the same level at all. first of all, socks are pretty much included in the shoes i suggested but for reasons of simplifying things we just ignore them because they do such little difference in comparison to shoes. underwear is included in shirts and pants because without them the pawns feel naked. also, they wouldnt do much of a difference. lastly, scarves. why would you include those, though, if you already have parkas? scarves arent good for anything except to keep you warm, same as with parkas (aside from very little armor). and it's not like they would cocer a body part that was previously uncovered. that's what my suggestions were about.
the manipulation debuff would only apply to the winter gloves because those are thick. combat gloves arent.

Shotgunfrenzy

A mod was made to address this in A17 and I personally loved it, don't know if its been updated though?

patoka

Quote from: Shotgunfrenzy on December 12, 2017, 08:33:18 AM
A mod was made to address this in A17 and I personally loved it, don't know if its been updated though?
oh really? damn, that must mean tynan doesnt think it is worth putting it into vanilla :/
thanks for telling me though.

i guess everything that has to be said was said, so this thread is
-closed-