[B18] Knowledge is Out There

Started by PreDiabetic, December 11, 2017, 03:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PreDiabetic

Quote from: PreDiabetic on December 11, 2017, 03:44:12 AM
Another simple mod that adds ability to write and read books to gain knowledge. It may be op because books not CONSUMED upon reading as in real life but who cares maybe I edit in future.
For example Good Doctor can write a book and others can read and gain experience in a skill
Require new save I guess due to new work type so even Sheriffs can write.

MOVED HERE

historic_os

that's cool, few months ago I wss toying around with remaking research more realistic.
one of the first and only features I implemented wss adding the ability to write documents for specific research (so you can trade in them) and reading them gave extra progress to research. I changed it so when pawn is doing research he is redirected to the book if exists.

I don't know if you find it interesing but if you do maybe you could add it

RyanRim

Lmao I read the title and thought its something X-files themed. But writing is essential, as I just love the bookrack and writing-reading part of Additional Joy Objects mod. Writing demands more attention in Rimworld imo besides all that painting and sculpting. More Poes, less Pollocks!*

Loosely translated as "More poems, less bollocks"

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

kaptain_kavern

Hi there,

Does that mean you solved your coding problem?

Hope you the best, congrats for the release

PreDiabetic

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on December 11, 2017, 01:19:45 PM
Hi there,

Does that mean you solved your coding problem?

Hope you the best, congrats for the release

Nope, just changed direction.

Ser Kitteh

PreDiabetic

frenchiveruti

This looks like a cool idea! I just completely ruined my colony savegames so I'll add your mod to my list :) .
I'm kind of against "new worktypes" but well I guess it's ok for Sheriffs to write.
Also ModSync Ninja support! What a great way to go into release!
Thanks!

Mosart

Harry_Dicks

Those are some very tiny screenshots, they don't do you justice.

Ser Kitteh

The screenshots are nice, but could you not have zoomed in? Done in a nice room instead of under a mountain? Maybe with some lighting?

I mean I'll try it, but you're not doing much to sell people on your mod.

Harry_Dicks

Much better screenshots! ;) So you add a bill to make colonists read a book, is this a new work type then? If so, what does it fall under, research/intellect or whatever it is?

braddensbane

Hi! I'm loving the idea of this mod, but I was wondering if there could be a 'hardcore' version in which books only allow skill levelling up to 10, or simply give a bonus to exp gain for the particular skill for a short amount of time.

Slipshodian

Just a couple of questions for clarification.....

So these work in the same vein as neuro-trainers, but aren't super fast?

Are the benefits based on the creator of the books? i.e. a level cap based on the skills gained (so you can't just learn yourself into level 20 off a level 10 writer making books repeatedly).

Looks interesting to say the least though  ;)

PreDiabetic

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on December 15, 2017, 09:48:52 AM
Much better screenshots! ;) So you add a bill to make colonists read a book, is this a new work type then? If so, what does it fall under, research/intellect or whatever it is?
New worktype goes far right of work tab. It's there because of avoiding "unable to do" backgrounds. With this even Sheriffs can write a book. Each book type require own skills. Doctor need Medicine skill while Magazine require Social skill.