The Nemesis System

Started by Call me Arty, December 11, 2017, 04:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

Without a doubt, one of the coolest features in any game.
For those unfamiliar, the "Nemesis System" was a system in Lord of The Rings: Shadow of Mordor. You fought a lot of Orcs, but after a while, one might just win. With that, they gain a name and title. If they defeat you again, or complete some feat, they grow more powerful. More strengths, and fewer weaknesses.
If Rimworld is a game about stories, then this is a must-have, not only for your enemies, but your pawns too! Are we really to believe that a pirate or colonist can see their friends torn apart, home burned, and survivors carried off, and not want vengence? Sure, some pawns, pacifists maybe, might see no way to fight back, no reason to try, but the rest? If they weren't interested (passionate even, if you will) in taking up a rifle or sword before, they sure are now.
I can see this happening a few ways, with progressive amounts of work I probably won't do as I can't code. . . yet.

The Cheap:
If a friend or family member is killed/kidnapped/grievously harmed (permanent brain injury, spinal cord damaged, etc.) by a pawn, they are now marked as a "Nemesis" and the pawn who lost those dear to them will have a continued mood buff as long as that Nemesis is alive, but a significant, long-lasting (not permanent) positive mood buff upon their death. This isn't guaranteed to happen.

The Less Cheap:
Some sort of "Vengeance" trait is gained, and is increased by the amount of people loss. This will determine the gained passion of the Shooting and Melee skills. Passion dies or is reduced upon Nemesis death. Does not apply to pacifists (or maybe it does, and they break their vows). Traits like Optimist or Kind can be replaced with Blood-lust or Psychopath. New mental break where they ignore all other enemies to go straight for their nemesis.
Enemy pawns, if they escaped successfully, can return with some combo of new bionics, performance enhancing drugs, higher skills, loyal animals, and maybe even a "hulk" body-type.

The Neat:
Challenge them to a duel. Call the faction in question, and request a duel. An event will open on the world map where you are both to meet in a certain time limit. For your benefit, don't miss it. You can bring your wronged pawn and their posse to meet the enemy's. They will meet in the middle of the map (maybe a ring-shaped ruin? Like an arena) to fight. If any of your pawns interfere, the other posse will go hostile. The victor (who survives the duel) will take the loser's body back to the base, and whatever weapon they left.

I just though of this, sorry for any roughness in it.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Jackalvin

Expect your tribal nemesis to show up to the duel, having traditions of dueling. But be warned, as the pirates are another story. It can maybe be a trick!
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Kirby23590

Quote from: Jackalvin on December 12, 2017, 07:38:47 AM
Expect your tribal nemesis to show up to the duel, having traditions of dueling. But be warned, as the pirates are another story. It can maybe be a trick!
Pirates don't sow. Pirates don't care. They will just break the rules of dueling in One on Ones. Expect them ganging up on your guy or shooting him/her straight up. It's best to bring another guy with a sniper rifle or with an large group of armed colonists in your side.

At least tribals know the art of duels but can be fierce and sometimes deadly fighters!

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Bakar

+1
Amazing idea, makes the stoies better and who wouldn want to see a duel?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Jackalvin on December 12, 2017, 07:38:47 AM

Pirates have to have a spine somewhere, otherwise there'd be no factions of them, as they'd all be murderous treacherous backstabbers.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

Eddlm

I like the Cheap system and would love to see it implemented in a mod. I don't think it really fits the direction Rimworld's development is going though, so I doubt anything similar would be officially implemented.

I'd take the Vengeance concept and make it a very long-lasting (15-days) +5 mood buff that can dissapear over time. While its present, it represents this pawn's need for vengeance. When it finally dissapears we take it as the pawn forgetting about it or coming to terms with the event.

While its present: If the Nemesis dies, make it a +20 long-lasting (4-days) buff. If your guy killed it, +15 permanent and +20 long-lasting.

Also, only violent pawns should use the Nemesis system. Brawlers, Gun nuts, etc.

Call me Arty

Quote from: Eddlm on December 21, 2017, 09:11:33 PM
I like the Cheap system and would love to see it implemented in a mod. I don't think it really fits the direction Rimworld's development is going though, so I doubt anything similar would be officially implemented.
. . .
Also, only violent pawns should use the Nemesis system. Brawlers, Gun nuts, etc.

I disagree, I believe that it fits well into the game. . . though it probably will take a while to make it into the game, if at all. Take it straight off the Steam store page: "Rimworld is a story generator." Pawns can make friends, rivals, lovers, and those lovers may end up as either a spouse or yet another heartbreak. A nemesis wouldn't be a big leap.