Thoughts on Alpha 4

Started by chainedlupine, June 02, 2014, 04:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainedlupine

* Make jobs that cannot be completed due to lack of resources more visible.  Now that wood exists as a material, and wood itself is a two-stage component, I suggest some way for game to let us know we need materials.  Perhaps a right indicator (such as low food indicator) which lists something like, "Unable to complete construction tasks.  Require:   (x planks) (x logs) (x metal)"

* The wood-based tech is very nice.  It's easier to have large buildings at the beginning of the game.  However, wooden walls are not all that useful for defense.  It's just far too easy for 2-3 raiders to turn my colony into a blazing inferno (by hammering on walls of different buildings), completely overwhelming my three colonists.  And since it takes a while to get stone-building tech up and going, plus metal walls cost a bit more to make, it's not always viable to find other alternatives for defense early on.  The only way around this I see is to use natural caves, but then that means we're forced to build cave-forts.  I suggest lowering or even removing the ability for early raiders to start fires.  The setting-wood-on-fire idea is fine for later raiders -- If you're still relying on wooden walls when people are coming at you with guns, then you deserve to get burned out.

Will add more as I encounter it.