[B18] [W]mods: Boots and Gloves, Clear Way (02.02.2018)

Started by wwWraith, December 14, 2017, 10:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

More ? i am surprised you didn't use apparello.
I think this just the right mix for boots and gloves.
No need for dancing shoes or surgical gloves.

wwWraith

No, not more boots and gloves, but some other mod... or two... or... later ;) as atm I'm a bit tired of trying to figure out how to make the usage of ModSync fine.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

wwWraith

[W] Clear Way

Overview
Makes the filth to slow down pawns (a little) so they should (at least sometimes) avoid stepping on it and spreading it more.

Details
This micromod is exceptionally simple. All it does is adding <pathCost>1</pathCost> to the BaseFilth def thus making all deriving types of filth (including modded ones if they don't set pathCost, too) to slow down pawns a little (the filthy constructed floor will be treated like rough stone with movement speed 93%) so the pawns will prefer to go on clear ways and won't spread that filth more.

But don't expect much from this mod. Actually its effect is not very noticeable. The pawns will not take the big efforts to go around the filth and will only prefer "clear way" if it's not longer than the more strict one.

You can increase its effect easily by editing Patches/Filth.xml and increasing that pathCost, but I think it won't be very realistic and probably you'll suffer from slowing more than from the extra filth. But feel free to try. Here is a little table that may help you to choose which value you want:

pathCost value    Terrain example    Movement speed
0    Most constructed floors    100%
1    Rough stone    93%
2    Soil, Gravel    87%
3    Lichen-covered dirt,
Mossy terrain
    81%
4    Sand    76%
9    Burned floors    59%
12    Mud, Ice, Shallow water    52%
15    Marshy soil    46%
23    Marsh    36%
30    Bush    ?
130    Tree    ?

The attached picture may help to illustrate it:

• Without this mod, the pawn will go through all 3 filthy tiles if going to the point A and 4 if going to the point B.
  • With this mod the pawn still goes through those 3 upper tiles if going to the point A, but not if going to the point B.
  • If you increase the pathCost value in the mod, the pawn will become more picky: she will avoid all those filthy tiles if going to the point A, though still won't bother to go around that 4th single tile if going to the point B.

This mod is safe to be added and removed to/from existing games.

Compatibility
I don't expect compatibility problems except in the case when some other mod also adds pathCost to the BaseFilth. But in this case I think you just don't need this mod :)

Issues
The pathfinding algorithm in Rimworld is terrible not very good. It works reliably only on short distances, and even then sometimes its decisions look weird. And the effect of this mod completely depends on the pathfinding. I can't do anything with it.

License
Anyone can do anything any way they want.

Download
It's in attachment (at least for now). You may have to login to the forum to download it.

Changelog

1.1.0 (13.04.2020): update to RimWorld 1.0/1.1; changed default movement cost to 2.
0.18.0 (02.02.2018): initial public version.

[attachment deleted due to age]
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Harry_Dicks

If we use it with Path Avoid, will the weights on cells stack?

wwWraith

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 02, 2018, 01:29:00 PM
If we use it with Path Avoid, will the weights on cells stack?
I hope it should, otherwise Path Avoid would be useless in many situations. But when some time ago I asked Kiame about details how it works, I haven't got an answer that suited me (or just haven't understood it :) ), so I can't be 100% sure.

Kori

Ruisuki

I am tempted to get boot and gloves but I have so much clothes already. If only there was a cabinet/armory to put clothes into sets! I'll definitely be trying this out along with visible pants. Im getting sucked back into the modding game...

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 14, 2018, 05:11:08 AM
I am tempted to get boot and gloves but I have so much clothes already. If only there was a cabinet/armory to put clothes into sets! I'll definitely be trying this out along with visible pants. Im getting sucked back into the modding game...

Change Dresser is your new best friend.

Also check out Better Pawn Control ;)

TryB4Buy

Quote from: wwWraith on January 31, 2018, 07:21:27 AMIssues
Bionic legs/arms in vanilla don't technically include feet/hands, so boots/gloves can't be worn by pawns that have both bionic legs/arms.
Is there any way around this?

Canute

Instead to use Bionic leg/arm's just use Bionic feet/hand's.