Source folder in mods

Started by BlackSmokeDMax, December 15, 2017, 11:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

Do we ever need to leave the /Source folder in mods downloaded from GitHub?

I'm guessing the answer is no, and people are just including that folder for those who are interested at looking "behind the curtain."

Is there any harm in leaving it in there as far as speed of running or first load of mods goes, or does Rimworld just completely ignore it?

Canute

Source folder don't get loaded from Rimworld.
Mainly the source folder just appear when you download the master from github.
Most modder release them without source folder, and offer a seperated download for them.
But at last some modder are lazy and put all together.

At at the time of GByte downloads, these few KB or MB don't count much.
Personaly it annoy me more all these languages folder (special when i do a text search for a string).

kaptain_kavern

do the search in /Defs only and not /Languages  ;D

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Canute on December 15, 2017, 01:05:15 PM
Source folder don't get loaded from Rimworld.
Mainly the source folder just appear when you download the master from github.
Most modder release them without source folder, and offer a seperated download for them.
But at last some modder are lazy and put all together.

At at the time of GByte downloads, these few KB or MB don't count much.
Personaly it annoy me more all these languages folder (special when i do a text search for a string).

Wasn't so much concerned about the downloads as much as whether or not Rimworld spends any time looking through those files when it doesn't need to.

So it is completely safe to delete those then, correct? Has there ever been a case where that is not true?

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on December 15, 2017, 01:42:02 PM
do the search in /Defs only and not /Languages  ;D

My guess is Canute is doing a search with something like AstroGrep on large sections of the mod folder at one time, rather than searching within one specific mod.

Canute

Yep, it is complety safe to delete them, Source is the uncompiled stuff that lead to .dll that are placed into assemblies.

Nightinggale

The source code should be included as it is essential for people with an interested in development (either curious or actual mod makers). For a start, somebody can take over an abandoned mod if the source code is available. As already mentioned, the game will use compiled dll files rather than the .cs files meaning players can delete them if they really want to. The game will not care, meaning nothing bad will happen by not deleting them.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Canute on December 15, 2017, 04:58:32 PM
Yep, it is complety safe to delete them, Source is the uncompiled stuff that lead to .dll that are placed into assemblies.

Thanks, just what I thought they were!

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Nightinggale on December 16, 2017, 08:31:03 AM
The source code should be included as it is essential for people with an interested in development (either curious or actual mod makers). For a start, somebody can take over an abandoned mod if the source code is available. As already mentioned, the game will use compiled dll files rather than the .cs files meaning players can delete them if they really want to. The game will not care, meaning nothing bad will happen by not deleting them.

Yep, I like them being included, and I'll leave them in my archived files.

Just wanted to make sure it was ok deleting them in the game's mod folder area. The only reason I'll bother with this is my manual installs are on my SSD rather than my HDD, so space is somewhat at a minimum. I also sometimes cloud sync my Rimworld games sometimes, so eating less of my Mega space is also helpful. Most of those source files seem pretty darn small, but I have run into at least one that was relatively large compared to the rest. Think there were image files stored in that folder as well for some reason.

Thanks for replying!