Harvesting

Started by BasileusMaximos, December 15, 2017, 10:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasileusMaximos

Right now, harvesting wild plants are a pain in the ass. Colonies will go out and harvest but then never bring the goods back with them, instead leaving the berries/mushrooms/healroots out in the open to rot. Whenever a colonist harvests enough of the same plant in an area, they should automatically haul all the berries and being them to the nearest stockpile.

Mining could also use this improvement so that miners will dig out as much as they can carry and then carry it back to the settlement.

Chibiabos

I find having a good population of haul-trained animals to help out a lot.  If you don't start with any or don't find a trader with any to sell, boars are probably the best tamable-from-the-wild option, a lot harder to train than dogs, but they tend to breed fairly fast and are pretty common in a variety of biomes.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

patoka

i wouldnt want my miners and plant cutters to walm around all day instead of doing their jobs, i have pets and other, less capable workers for that. especially on large maps i would never want a forager or miner to come back aside from sleeping or when his job is done.

but even if there was an option to do this, not all foragers and miners can also haul, so it should never be implemented for good, only as an option to turn it on. still, i believe tynan shouldnt waste his time with this as you yourself can just tell those workers to gather the food and bring it home. also, berries take a while to rot, herbs take even longer. it is more of an issue that they deteriorate too fast...but as said. well trained pets will do the trick, while boars are indeed the best suited for this for a multitude of reasons, but most important being the speed of them. i have a 6 years old colony with a small army of megsloths and bears and they are just too slow in comparison to boars to be of any use. sure they carry a bit more but they eat more and are way harder to train aswell. dogs are pretty good in the beginning aswell.
wargs are overall the best pets to keep if you arent in dire need of heavy duty animals for your protection like elephants and thrumbos.
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?