What is the hardest thing to survive for you?

Started by Cassey, June 02, 2014, 08:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

christhekiller

I think the most challenging thing has been when Raiders have landed right in the middle of the town. Usually I mine into a mountain and it's not a problem but with this latest Alpha I decided to take more advantage of the wood but I've been having problems with Raiders landing right in the middle of my town and occasionally spawning on the edge of the map behind my town. It provides great cover for the raiders and my colonists are all scattered about doing what they're doing.

mrblonde1990

Nothing at the moment, and that is the god honest truth, i get raids but no more 5-8 armed with pistols, the centipide ain't that tbf.

RandyIsAwesome

With Randy in Version 3:
Cooking and Mental Crisis. My colony had about 74 colonists and in order to keep them well nutritioned I had to account for Breakfast, Dinner, and two meals in reserve per person in case of a Solar eclipse. So I had to have about 280 meals stored at all time - that takes up a lot of space.

Mental Crisis: Raids usually consist of up too 180 Raiders, so I had to kill a lot of people before they ran away. That sometimes took so long, that I had to make "Shifts" for my defense-colonists, so some of them could eat and rest...

With the new Alpha 4D:

every raid and after day 40 and building up a good defensive structure around the generators.

Sion

In my latest map where I play at Randy Random I got a raid of 6 pirates all using pistols drooped and immediately attacked AT DAY 2!! (well the randomness works at least), needles to say I lost and fortunately enough the game had have time to make 1 auto save that I could load from.
My 3 colonist had:
shooting skill: 6, 3 and 0
    Melee skill: 1, 3 and 3

After reloading the save file the same kind of attack occurred but they prepared first, and this time I "won" with 2 incapacitated and 1 alive.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

minami26

2Things:

Muffalo Psychic Wave... with only 3 colonists. You don't wanna experience that.

2nd..
Starting a new game and clicking start game right away.
and getting 2 ManualDumb colonists. worst game session ever.

nilloc93

when powerlines blow up
68,000w explosion.
shit looked cool, but I miss my armory and the reserve M-16's that were in it.

Scotty

Quote from: minami26 on June 06, 2014, 10:15:34 AM
2Things:

Muffalo Psychic Wave... with only 3 colonists. You don't wanna experience that.

2nd..
Starting a new game and clicking start game right away.
and getting 2 ManualDumb colonists. worst game session ever.

For the muffalo problem you can set one colonist to fire on the bugger and manually move the muffalos target untill dead :D

AlyxMS

A sudden change in number/equipment of raiders. (not anymore in Alpha 4e/f)
Most of the time when I got my colony destroyed is because I'm not prepared for it.
Day 20 1 pistol raider.
Day 30 2 pistol raider.
Day 50 6 pistol/rifle/motorov raider.

Also bad luck.
Sometimes I can never incapacitate a raider and I only have 3 colonists, so it wasn't population control or anything.
Slave trader is very rare at all times.
The number of raiders just kept growing but the number of colonists stays the same.
I don't really use turrets but in the case I have to.
When a solar flare or a short circuit strikes, my colony is dead.

ITypedThis

Hardest thing to survive: one or more mechaniods with anything other than an inferno cannon. Inferno cannons are scary, but unless used as a support weapon, not incredibly lethal.

Next: Late-game tribal raids. I personally dislike using turrets, so more often than not it's 10-18 guns against 25-40 tribals. If they get too close, they end up ganging up on my colonists and beating them into paste.

Another thing that creates difficulty, though not really danger, is a lack of colonists skill in one or more areas. My more recent and current colony for example. I currently have 14 colonists, non of which could cook a decent meal for their lives. (I.e. cooking skill of 3). The only way I have managed this is by forcing one of colonists in serve as the chef. (Who now has a cooking skill of 9, and started at 3 :P). What's worse about this though, is that in nearly every raid, there is at least one enemy chef. :'(

Hs

Definitely mad Squirrels in groups of about 14. Survived nearly all other attacks on Tough Cleopatra (Rimworld 466) pretty well. My defense relies strongly on turrets, that can't target animals (please change that Tynan!) and I have 8 colonists with M24. Maybe changing weapons would do the trick, but the sqirrels are way too fast for a change of weaponry. I really liked the level of difficulty so far and think that the centipedes are great as a change to raiders (though they hardly seem to show up after day 50 or so), but beeing zergrushed by squirrels is simply disheartening, especially because I have no idea how to do it better.  :(

Bilxx1

Base drops with 7-1 odds. 4 out of 15 did survive but its all in shambles.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Bilxx1

If it recovers I think I'll add turrets in that open area just to see what happens next drop. Had 11 cents in the open a bit before this. day 799

AwesumnisRawr188

Most challenging thing for me so far in Randy Random is an insane muffalo that attacked two miners half way across the map. One can't fight, so she was incapacitated, and the other couldn't shoot it with an M24 because of the long time between shots.

Ended up having everyone else go out and kill it and save them.

Nothing like the sweet sound of eleven rifles and charge rifles going off...

I always expect huge groups of raiders when I play Randy Random since I'm used to Callie sending 20 at me later in the game. I always end up with one or two raiders being sent and them getting demolished by the turrets.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Bilxx1 on June 13, 2014, 04:19:43 PM
Base drops with 7-1 odds. 4 out of 15 did survive but its all in shambles.

In the current version death is supposed to happen eventually, you appear to be in the sweet spot (tynan said day 70-150) you are on day 79
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Bilxx1