Why do animal beds have quality but bedrolls don't?

Started by Ser Kitteh, December 16, 2017, 12:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Kitteh

Seems kinda weird that animal cloth beds can be masterwork but not bedrolls. Is this intentional? Shouldn't it be the other way around? It reminds me of that one time Tynan was genuinely surprised to learn that graves had a quality and colonists can actually fail to build one (before quality for graves were removed entirely).

I dunno, I think a masterwork bedroll could be a real spiffy thing and make tribal runs more different than non-tribal runs.

Wanderer_joins

I've done a tribal run with bedrolls only. And yeah, it's a sort of self inflicted punishment because bedrolls + dressers and endtables = .7 comfort and .93 rest effectiveness, period. Whereas a simple normal bed is .7 comfort and 1 rest effectiveness, and superior beds .9 and 1.1

Someone suggested they could give a mood buff in a caravan (slept in a bedroll +4 or something), it would be another incentive to make them.

But simply giving them quality would not differentiate them from a "bad bed"

Ser Kitteh

My latest colony of 4 years used bedrolls for 3 years and it was PAINFUL. The biggest issue I found is that bedrolls have like 1 of, I don't recall the term, BedHeal or the like, which meant it wasn't as effective as beds for healing. Sleeping, I don't care. But the healing thing makes sense.

Bedrolls are arguably MORE difficult than normal beds. In most maps, there's SOME trees around, and lacking that you can build a bed out of steel or stone. But bedrolls? Cotton or leathers, and suffice to say you're not gonna have that for at least the first few days unless you hunt religiously around the map (and even then it's not a given). Besides, wouldn't it make sense for tribals to make beds but not colonists? You've seen those videos of makeshift beds before, it makes a degree of sense but we're just arguing semantics at this point.

I would rather that tribals start with beds but make it look different. You know how tribals get hoop stones instead of a horseshoe pin? Make it look different ala Tribal Essentials and you'll get that tribal feeling.

For caravans, I still don't bother with them. Unless I'm playing on deserts and setting up a mining operations, I just use sleeping spots. Actually unpacking them and placing them on the ground is a pain in the bum. Sleeping spots for patch up jobs post player raids is quicker than unloading them from the inventory and having pawns set them up.

So yeah, bedrolls are nice in idea but not much in practice. Considering that caravans don't get any mood buffs like "travelled a lot" or "camp outdoors"(save for the very low expectations one), I have no need to ever bring them.

Scrabbling

Things I like about bed rolls:

• They make tribals feel a bit different than New Arrivals.
  • Caravaning with bed rolls makes sense RP-wise.
  • They are lightweight.

Things I don't like (and suggestions for improvement):

• Bed rolls should be cheaper than beds. In my book this means beds should have a way higher costStuffCount because 50 textiles for a bed roll feels alright but 35 wood for a bed is just nothing. Ideally beds would require wood/stone/metal and textiles - in fact a bed should equal a bed roll plus a bed frame.
  • Using bed rolls is quite cumbersome as pointed out by others before. You have to remember to pack them when forming a caravan. Once at your destination you have to search your pawns/pack animals for all bed rolls and drop them and install them. Once you leave you have to remember to uninstall them first. The best solution would be a rework of caravan item management which could address a lot of other issues too. An easier(?) solution could be to assign a bed roll to a colonist (personal inventory?) so he automatically uses it if he has no assigned bed. A quick QOL improvement would be to always show bed rolls in the caravan reforming item list even when they are installed. Selecting them would automatically uninstall/minify them.
  • Bed rolls offer no benefit during travel.

TheMeInTeam

Tribal not having access to beds is ridiculous from any reasonable perspective, especially given things you can build from day 0.

I'd rather see a rework so that there is incentive for both tribal and crash landed to use bedrolls for travel/portability and both can build beds from the start.  The idea that you can tile floor, build deadfalls, create passive coolers, and make recurve bows but have no idea how to make a bed is really awkward.

mndfreeze

I've wondered what purpose they served since being added in.  I just assumed the point was specifically for stuff like caravans and to give you a mid-point between nothing and beds but I guess they don't (yet?).  They do need additional uses and a slightly lowered cost to make.  Like 20 leather/textiles would be fine.  This would also slow down people buying them just to decontruct for materials.  For sure I think more caravan work needs to be done and there should be some bonus's to carrying them with you.  Like your pawns fill their rest bar faster or don't need to be camped for as long each day or something along those lines. 

I love the idea though and I'm glad tribals got more stuff.  I enjoy the early game the most in rimworld when everything is a bit of a struggle and also enjoy doing a 'from nothing with nothing' type of starts so the addition of bedrolls, masks, etc are a big help.   I think beds and bedrolls should also give some sort of temperature protection bonus.  The range that colonists get the 'slept in the cold/heat' debuff is strict and small and it would make sense that if your colonist is cold they are under blankets, etc.  The bedroll should do something similiar.  Like both could give a +10/-10F additional protection.  Maybe you're in a sudden cold snap or a heat wave, etc.

corestandeven

Isn't one benefit of a bedroll over nothing that you dont get the 'slept on ground' negative buff?

I agree though they need more benefits over regular beds. If you travel to any map with trees the benefit of making them disappears as you can knock up several wooden beds in minutes. Perhaps a very mild positive buff when sleeping, but the buff only applies when caravaning or out of the colony? I also like mndfreeze's suggestion of temperature bonuses, but then you'd have to be careful as regular beds would also need similar buffs (otherwise it could make bedrolls more valuable than beds).

Back to the OP question, I assume animal beds have quality because they can add some wealth/beauty to the colony, and you dont need that for bedrolls whose main purpose really is to use out of the colony for caravans? I dunno.

mndfreeze

For the temp suggestion, I definitely would say to add it to normal beds also.  It would give you an alternative way to survive a heat wave or cold snap while your power is out or your tribals are out of wood on a desert map, etc etc.  Also could help prisoners in extreme temps or hospitals.

Of course I dont want bedrolls to be BETTER then beds or even equal to.  But being portable they definitely should have benefits to being as such for caravans.  For normal sleeping they are better then sleeping spots for sure and not as good as beds.  That part is right.  They just feel like they are not fully implemented and need a few more changes/uses.

Quality of course should be a thing as well. 

SpaceDorf

I usually forget about the bedrolls as well, because I need wood anyway for the campfire and to fill missing wall segments and a door in one of the ruins.

Having Beds require more Ressources than simple wood should improve the value of Bedrolls.

Having them assigned to pawns would also remove the awkward Situation of Caravans where everybody slumps down on the ground and takes a nap as soon as you arrive somewhere and undraft your people.

Finally the easiest ingame way to achieve this would be to change bedrolls into an apparel item, which counters some of the debuffs of pawns when having one to sleep with.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

mndfreeze

Making a new apparel slot for like a "utility" item would be handy in a lot more possible ways then just bedrolls as well.  That could open up a whole new list of later add-ins that provide functionality but are more geared towards caravans or traveling, or temporary encampments.  I like this idea a lot.

I think it would be awesome to have colonists be able to carry a bedroll with them always, like they do a meal or drugs, and you could say have it take X amount of weight off them to balance it out, but if its equipped they will automatically place it down and sleep in it if there is no assigned bed for them. 

TryB4Buy

Quote from: Scrabbling on December 18, 2017, 06:27:18 AM
  • Bed rolls should be cheaper than beds.
  • assign a bed roll to a colonist (personal inventory?) so he automatically uses it if he has no assigned bed.
  • Bed rolls offer no benefit during travel.
Agreed on all 3 points. Beds need to be more expensive, auto rollup and take / lay out to sleep bedrolls are a must, and there should be a mood benefit. Does the mood penalty for sleeping on the ground apply to caravans without bedrolls? I don't ever remember seeing it.

Foefaller

Bed Rolls could get a rest/comfort bonus from nearby campfires, and remove the penalty from sleeping outdoors.

Might even have colonists with the "Outdoor Lover" trait that will get more comfort and rest with this setup than they will with regular beds with end tables and dressers.

Ser Kitteh

As someone mentioned before, bedrolls are cumbersome to unpack, pick up and place. It'd be nicer if the bedroll was an item that colonist carried around and automatically lay down when it comes to sleeping.

Not sure how to do this if a pawned is downed mind, but I'm sure something can be made about it.

lancar

Could have the bedrolls nullify the "slept outside" and reduce the "slept in the cold" debuffs. It's kinda part of the whole camping experience that you'd use it while outside, even if there's nothing preventing you from sleeping in it in a room.