What Do You Mean Stonecutting Doesn't Improve Crafting?

Started by BasileusMaximos, December 17, 2017, 03:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasileusMaximos

I've looked at one of my pawns while they are cutting stones and noticed that despite being majorly passionate about crafting they werent gaining any skill.

It is extremely annoying that I just learned this now, as before I always put passionate but amateur crafters in charge of cutting stones so they could get experience before entrusting them with more involved machining and smiting jobs. I also feel cheated because the game did nothing to change my rightly held assumption that all crafting jobs boost crafting.

sadpickle

I think this was changed in A17. It was, I believe, considered exploitative.

Thankfully, tailoring does raise skill, quite quickly actually, as well as produce a marketable product. I'm always drowning in leather, not to mention wool and cloth which are essentially an unlimited resource. I've raised 4 crafters up to level 13+ just tailoring things whenever they have free time.

BasileusMaximos

I don't see how its exploitative, it seems like the perfect starter job for a crafter. Its a way for them to contribute to a vital colony resource (building material/chunk cleanup) while also not wasting resources making shitty clothing and weapons.

Granted, the skills that fall under the crafting umbrella are rather diverse and should realistically not be pooled together (gunsmiths don't make great tailors) but thats where we are.

BlackSmokeDMax

Honestly I'd prefer to just see a stonecutting skill. Let that raise by itself, not tied to another skill, and only improves the time it takes to cut the stone. Doesn't need to make quality types or more blocks per chunk. Just speeds up production.

Vlad0mi3r

I would like to see skill caps for certain tasks. So yeah have stone cutting increase your crafting skill but only to a certain point. So say you can stone cut up to level 6 crafting after that you get no more bonus from doing it.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on December 17, 2017, 05:50:45 PM
I would like to see skill caps for certain tasks. So yeah have stone cutting increase your crafting skill but only to a certain point. So say you can stone cut up to level 6 crafting after that you get no more bonus from doing it.

Nice! Hmmm, think I might like your idea better than mine.

BoogieMan

Very much this. Getting zero crafting experience from it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it capping off does. Other than representing the learning process of a person more accurately you could also say they are at least becoming familiar with tools and materials.

Stormfox

I also think that is a great idea. Make a suggestion thread!

Dargaron

Isn't there already something of a cap on xp once you hit level 10? After level 10, you get a constant drain on skill points, and if the amount of crafting xp gained per-second isn't enough to overcome the drain, then you're effectively capped at stonecutting XP.

Personally, I'm probably go for a revamped skill system where crafting, construction and (possibly) mining get unpacked into Stoneworking (Directly impacts stone construction+blocks, influences mining speed and stone sculpting), Woodworking (Directly impacts wood construction + wood crafting, influences Plant Cutting and wood sculpting), Metalworking (Directly impacts metal crafting + construction, influences research) and Tailoring (Directly impacts  cloth/leather construction/crafting, influences butchering speed/efficiency, possibly tend quality*.)

*There's a reason that, until relatively recently, barber and surgeon were virtually synonymous.

Main problem is: what to do with mods that add weird materials, like bone? They'd have to set their new material as one of the categories above, or make a new skill.

Yoshida Keiji

The current skill leveling is definitely stupid. It doesn't make any sense that a pawn who has been cutting stone blocks don't gain skill improvements but construction instead. The same applies for drug making, it doesn't make any sense that drugs add intelligence. Ever watched news of illegal drug labs burning to ashes due to retarded handling? People that make drugs aren't particularly lucid.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on December 19, 2017, 09:32:53 AM
The current skill leveling is definitely stupid. It doesn't make any sense that a pawn who has been cutting stone blocks don't gain skill improvements but construction instead. The same applies for drug making, it doesn't make any sense that drugs add intelligence. Ever watched news of illegal drug labs burning to ashes due to retarded handling? People that make drugs aren't particularly lucid.

In the current build you don't get any exp for stonecutting, neither crafting nor construction. It is just busywork for getting blocks to use.

Not sure about the drug skills as I don't use them often.

I'm really on board with idea of a skill cap for these types of things. And level 6 sounds like a great cap. If this doesn't go into vanilla hopefully a mod takes care of it at some point.

BasileusMaximos

Well, there is a reason why more intelligent people are better drug manufacturers.

But your rights. Drugs should, if anything, be governed by the medical skill.

Daguest

Quote from: BasileusMaximos on December 20, 2017, 03:11:34 AM
Well, there is a reason why more intelligent people are better drug manufacturers.

But your rights. Drugs should, if anything, be governed by the medical skill.
That's chemistry, not medicine. Which is not ingame, so the closest would be crafting I guess.
And yes, you don't need much intelligence to produce drug. To develop them, sure. This is not harder than working in a factory, where you use the process and tools someone else developed.