Best use for Synthread?

Started by Hans Lemurson, December 17, 2017, 05:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Lemurson

I just got a cargo drop full of Synthread, and I want to make some clothing out of it, but I'm not sure what.  I'm doing the Sea-Ice challenge, so my resources are somewhat limited. 
Should I make it into hats for a crude but warm helmet?
Should I make a Duster for maximum coverage of the body?
Should I make it into shirts and pants?
Should I just sell it for cash?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Canute

If you got a decent crafter, craft for cash.
Some wool torque are much better at cold biomes.

Hans Lemurson

But survival and prevention of permanent injury is vitally important, and Synthread clothes can armor pawns where armor normally does not cover.  It seems wasteful to sell it for an amount of cash that I couldn't buy armor with.

Maybe Button-down shirts and Pants is the way to go.  Extra protection from bullets that won't interfere with the other essential garments of warmth.

cyberian

Depends if you have a Devilstrand indoors farm or not. Use Devilstrand if you can for the t-shirt and pants as its better if not do your Synthread that you found. But usually one cargopod drop is not that much anyway so you can probably only dress 1-2 peoples.

Hans Lemurson

Devilstrand requires the luxury of "soil" to grow.  Maybe I can dry up a pond for sea-gravel, but that's far in the future.  I also only have one person, since everybody else who tries to join believes that a single pair of pants is sufficient for survival at dry-ice temperatures.

I turned my Synthread into a Button-Down Shirt and two pairs of Pants.  Maybe that will save a limb in the future.

Albion

Depending on the amount of synthread that was dropped I would recommend checking the resource requirements and craft so that ad little synthread is left over as possible.
That said I would go for shirts or headwear. Wool torque have way better insulation but in a firefight protecting your major organs is key.
Having those few extra percent can mean the difference between a severely injured pawn and a dead one. Arms and legs can be replaced. Hearts and minds (torso and heads) mean death.
Obviously if devilstrand is an option just craft that one but considering you're living on sea ice I'm guessing it's not...

Limdood

i see you went with pants and shirt...i'd have suggested exactly that. 

use wool for tuques and jackets/parkas.  use a high density material, like devilstrand, thrumbofur, synthread, or hyperweave (or leather, as a last resort) for pants and shirts for protection. 

Then if a fight happens, swap to a military helmet and protective jacket or duster (or keep on the wool jacket/parka if you'll go hypothermic).  Making a synthread tuque just feels pointless, since if you really want protection, helmets are cheaper.

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on December 18, 2017, 07:23:19 AM
Maybe I can dry up a pond for sea-gravel, but that's far in the future.

If you dry up sea ice shallow water, you'll get ice

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on December 18, 2017, 12:43:19 PM
Quote from: Hans Lemurson on December 18, 2017, 07:23:19 AM
Maybe I can dry up a pond for sea-gravel, but that's far in the future.

If you dry up sea ice shallow water, you'll get ice
Ah, good.  Glad that exploit's been closed.

TheMeInTeam

Even if it wasn't patched and you still got gravel, I don't think devilstrand grows fast enough in gravel to harvest before it dies.  If I'm not mistaken this rules it out on extreme desert and ice sheet in addition to sea ice.

lancar

Nah, I can grow and harvest devilstrand in extreme desert (on gravel) just fine. About 30-40C on most days, with heatwave spikes up to 60. The only time my devilstrand has died off was during a toxic fallout. Every other time I get harvesting at 100% as usual. It  just takes longer to get there.