[B18] New Mental Breaks

Started by FrenziedPhoenix, November 23, 2017, 12:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirby23590

I love the tantrum mental breaks. At least they are funny when they start trashing the colony by attacking furniture and structures, until i realized they also attack power conduits and items too, but still i love the tantrums more than berserks since you can just wait for them to cool off and also repair the furniture that they are trying to destroy like doors or sculptures.

Animal slaughterer in the other hand... Yeah i'm a bit mixed on that, i kind of prefer a different mental break down, where the the pawn will instead of slaughtering the animal instantly killing them, will melee attack the animals instead with their fists or with their melee weapons and also targeting your prisoners too.

I can try to stop that easily by arresting them and taking the berserk mental breakdown instead, instead of the animal instantly dying, the pawn melee attacking the animal or the prisoner, sometimes they might fight back. I hope it's not a elephant or a thrumbo they are targeting  ;)
Quote from: khun_poo on December 01, 2017, 05:12:23 PM
Don't forget the boomalope...
Yup. Serves them right. Things are looking up.

Randall the crazed butcher shouldn't slaughtered the boomalope. and now he's forgotten by the colony.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Kirby23590 on December 02, 2017, 11:38:44 AM
Randall the crazed butcher shouldn't slaughtered the boomalope. and now he's forgotten by the colony.

Nope ...

Arty Artist made a sculpture of Randalls epic failure, which we put in his widows bedroom
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

magicbush

I don't mind the mental breaks, but they happen WAY to often and it's really annoying. While the guy that made that thread swearing a ton way over reacted he had a point. It is very annoying. I returned to the game this patch and it's just not as fun as earlier alphas I played. So it's no fun from a game perspective and it's so stupidly unrealistic I find it ridiculous.

Bozobub

I'm not fond of them, either, to be frank.  They've completely stopped my B18 play.
Thanks, belgord!

corestandeven

As mentioned above, I agree that they are game breaking, especially early game. They are also rather illogical in the game setting, in that you have crash landed, struggling just to build a shelter over your head, get enough food for your first winter, and fend of any savages at your door, and you having pawns breaking (sometimes for 2 game days at a time) for stress because their room is 'ugly'.  To be honest in year one the negative buffs for what are creature comforts should be halved or something. Eating at a table, having an ugly room, little joy, etc, should be things that kick in and ramp up once your colony wealth level goes up. It is logically for humans to want better things once they are out of danger.

Bozobub, the good news is that once your colony is established, and you have enough resources for fine meals, good rooms, etc the breaks frequency does go down. When they do break it doesnt cripple your entire colony. Doesn't solve travelling though, because when you leave to go on missions you still get breaks at a much higher frequency than earlier versions of the game. Nothing is more frustrating than travelling 10 days to attack a pirate base and one of your lead fighters breaks before the battle because he is in an 'ugly environment'. Bad guys attacking your base don't suffer from such penalties (they have joy meters for starters), but it is madness that when you are on attack missions you have to cater for this.   

BoogieMan

That does seem a bit overkill.. Not looking forward to that one.

I take issue with the current system as well. People can go downhill way too fast, just off of little things. I don't like my room. It's hot. I had a bad dream. I ate without a table. Better go murder some chickens! It would be nice if the more severe breaks only triggered off of real trauma, not just having a bad day or two.

I could see someone freaking out when a loved one died or something significant, but a series of minor negatives should really only have such consequences after a longer period of time dealing with them.

Pawns are too much of delicate little snowflakes. Horrible penalties for bad moods, and other than less a chance of someone going on a murderous rampage, very little in the way of reward for having happy people.

Snafu_RW

Quote from: BoogieMan on December 19, 2017, 04:52:26 PMPawns are too much of delicate little snowflakes. Horrible penalties for bad moods, and other than less a chance of someone going on a murderous rampage, very little in the way of reward for having happy people.
Keep 'em happy & they're far more likely to have a new buff rather than a break (altho how useful the buff will be for a particular pawn is moot ATM..)
Dom 8-)

Bozobub

Quote from: corestandeven on December 19, 2017, 10:37:42 AMBozobub, the good news is that once your colony is established, and you have enough resources for fine meals, good rooms, etc the breaks frequency does go down. When they do break it doesnt cripple your entire colony. Doesn't solve travelling though, because when you leave to go on missions you still get breaks at a much higher frequency than earlier versions of the game. Nothing is more frustrating than travelling 10 days to attack a pirate base and one of your lead fighters breaks before the battle because he is in an 'ugly environment'. Bad guys attacking your base don't suffer from such penalties (they have joy meters for starters), but it is madness that when you are on attack missions you have to cater for this.

I wouldn't know, nor will I, until this mechanic is changed; I'm sick of it, to be frank.  I'm all for more/different mental breaks, but I don't see why the basic underpinnings needed this change.  It's extremely punitive to new colonies, at the time they are most vulnerable, and it's simply not fun.  After the 3rd or fourth BS mental break (yet again) in the 1st part of a game recently, I just put it down and stopped playing, and I haven't (so far) played since.

If I want that kind of mess, I'll play Dwarf Fortress and have Z-levels, FFS, as well as the ability to flood the entire world with magma, then water (AKA the "Dwarven Final Solution"); at least when a Dorf goes crazy, s/he often hacks off someone's limb and makes a masterwork artifact from it -.-'.  Hopefully this behavior will change but if not, I guess that's that :-\.
Thanks, belgord!

magicbush

Quote from: Bozobub on December 19, 2017, 06:53:26 PM
Quote from: corestandeven on December 19, 2017, 10:37:42 AMBozobub, the good news is that once your colony is established, and you have enough resources for fine meals, good rooms, etc the breaks frequency does go down. When they do break it doesnt cripple your entire colony. Doesn't solve travelling though, because when you leave to go on missions you still get breaks at a much higher frequency than earlier versions of the game. Nothing is more frustrating than travelling 10 days to attack a pirate base and one of your lead fighters breaks before the battle because he is in an 'ugly environment'. Bad guys attacking your base don't suffer from such penalties (they have joy meters for starters), but it is madness that when you are on attack missions you have to cater for this.

I wouldn't know, nor will I, until this mechanic is changed; I'm sick of it, to be frank.  I'm all for more/different mental breaks, but I don't see why the basic underpinnings needed this change.  It's extremely punitive to new colonies, at the time they are most vulnerable, and it's simply not fun.  After the 3rd or fourth BS mental break (yet again) in the 1st part of a game recently, I just put it down and stopped playing, and I haven't (so far) played since.

If I want that kind of mess, I'll play Dwarf Fortress and have Z-levels, FFS, as well as the ability to flood the entire world with magma, then water (AKA the "Dwarven Final Solution"); at least when a Dorf goes crazy, s/he often hacks off someone's limb and makes a masterwork artifact from it -.-'.  Hopefully this behavior will change but if not, I guess that's that :-\.

Honestly dwarf fortress isn't even this bad. I play that still as well on occasion, and mental breaks are much less frequent. You also have way more ways to deal with them.  It just got a new patch also and I have yet to try that. I may switch back to it actually until Tynan fixes this or I can find a mod.

corestandeven

Quote from: BoogieMan on December 19, 2017, 04:52:26 PM
That does seem a bit overkill.. Not looking forward to that one.

I take issue with the current system as well. People can go downhill way too fast, just off of little things. I don't like my room. It's hot. I had a bad dream. I ate without a table. Better go murder some chickens! It would be nice if the more severe breaks only triggered off of real trauma, not just having a bad day or two.

I could see someone freaking out when a loved one died or something significant, but a series of minor negatives should really only have such consequences after a longer period of time dealing with them.

Pawns are too much of delicate little snowflakes. Horrible penalties for bad moods, and other than less a chance of someone going on a murderous rampage, very little in the way of reward for having happy people.

Agree. Also it makes some pawns worthless.

In my recent game I had a pawn who was my best constructer. He had the 'depressive' trait, and despite me giving him the best food i have, the best and largest bedroom I have given, assigning loads of time for joy, all of which is hard to achieve when your trying to start your new colony and prepare for the first winter he broke every couple of days. In the end when a raid happened I deliberatly put him in harms way and didnt save him when downed as he was way too hard to manage. I then managed to recruit a pirate who had modest construction skills, but at least he doesnt break ever few days. So the morale of that story, in this game anyway, is that people who are depressed have little value to society - not really the message games should be saying about those facing mental health issues nowadays.

If mental breaks were fewer, took less time to happen when they do, or could be better mitigated then fine, but not in B18.