Dungeon Crawling

Started by Electroid, December 20, 2017, 02:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electroid

A new type of event with relation to the newly implemented caves feature.

This could involve a mixture of fog of war (using rooms) with multiple kinds of enemies, various traps and loot at the end. This would be fantastic for a mixture of exploration, risk vs. reward. gearing up your pawns for an expedition etc.

Jibbles

Eddlm

I love it.
It would heavily focus on the combat aspect of the game and drafting your guys, taking damn good advantage over the complex combat mechanics Rimworld features. You know, angle, relative size of target, cover...

If handled properly it wouldn't even take away from the normal gameplay, as its simply another generated map which works exactly like the rest. You would need to caravan there, set up camp, bring the food, the bedrolls, etc. A perfect quest.

Definitely something I want to see in the game. It probably can even coded and set up as a mod!

It could be implemented in two different ways: as a Quest, and/or as a terrain feature in your own map, for montainous maps.

How I would go about it:
- Define who owned the building years ago. Was it a tribal civ? a Spacer one? You could even probably get a specific existing faction and pull the items and enemies from their lists.

- Get a basic montainous map and generate sets of square/rectangular rooms with random designs. Tombs, corridors, throne rooms, armories... Each one with a few different layouts of course.

- Spawn the neccesary buildings. Then, spawn the enemies. Be it other adventurers roaming around, automated defense systems, enraged animals... mechanoids...

Voilá.
Then you either spawn it as an event in a nearby map tile ("Yo dude my people found a dank abandoned building in the [Planet zone name]. We're too cowardly to loot it but you may be interested.") or , if its in your own map (only montainous maps), have a pawn alert you about it as it already happens with Ancient Dangers.

My only worry would be the lighting, as these dungeons tend to be poorly lit, you know. And in Rimworld we certainly don't have on-hand torches.

patoka

i guess you could solve two of those problems right away: no need for fog of war because doors already cover everything inside that you dont own.
second, you could just build you own torches xD no seriously, just take some wood with you or let your pawns pick it up after you cut some wood there and add it to their inventory. that should be good enough for a decent mod. i guess for a full implementation into vanilla tynan first has to add lanterns or industrial age pocket lights.

all this said, i am not a big fan :/ i think ancient dangers and enemy encampments are already enough for rimworld and fit it better.
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?