Eliminate predators

Started by Shurp, December 20, 2017, 08:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

I know it's kind of out of place at this point but my personal recommendation when it comes to dealing with animals is keep your best sniper on random slaughter duty.

ONLY USE HUNTING ON PASSIVE ANIMALS. OTHERWISE MICRO.

In fall set your long range with highest shooting skill on a killing spree with you microing attacks against all hunt-capable predators (usually only 10-15 on a map at a time unless you're greatly unlucky) and keep your Pistolero within short distance of your sniper for backup when they seek revenge. As people say you can attack during the night when a pred is sleeping but honestly that just means they are sitting still for the first shot then they move to kill you, not really that worth it in my opinion.

Just my two cents of advice for slaughter. Your map will replenish hunters in a few seasons as Cass, Randy, or even good ol' Basebuilder usually fix the population on their own.

It never hurts to mass slaughter predators as soon as you can, they do nothing of value on the map outside of slaughter the lesser animals that you generally won't even touch.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: Ramsis on December 28, 2017, 07:47:46 PM
As people say you can attack during the night when a pred is sleeping but honestly that just means they are sitting still for the first shot then they move to kill you, not really that worth it in my opinion.

You got it wrong. The advice of nightshift is to present the advantage of letting pawns go outside the walls danger free. Any colonists hauling, mining or chopping at night will face no predator danger, unless sunrise takes place while the pawn is far away and a predator wakes up with empty stomach, but even then that would probably be the worst case scenario.

As for predator clearing, best to do it with group hunt and most people will be awake during daytime.

MajorFordson

It'd be really swell to see even a little more basic AI given to animals.

Wild animals shying away from colonists, keeping away from areas with lots of people and relevant predators running away when their prey fights back. Also nocturnal activity for the relevant animals..

Not a programmer, but it seems some very basic behaviour (IF human/predator is withing X distance give-or-take-random-modifier and animals-awareness THEN get away) could add a lot more meaningful and interesting animal activity. For example you could end up with a wounded colonist being attacked and overpowered by normally skittish and cowardly predator types.

A pass over on hunting balance to go with this would also be nice, having a hunter having to rain a hail of bullets at an animal for hours on end is just comical. Pawns taking longer aim time but being surer to hit or more likely to heavily wound, followed by having to follow the animal a fair distance when it gets scared or hurt and runs off, would be much more immersive than the current Stormtrooper Best Shot Competition...

tmo97

Options. That's one thing you can never have enough of in these types of games. Options should have default settings that accord to how Tynan wants his game to be played, so that he has no reason to not include any miscellaneous options.

For example, where's the button to stop day and night? It would break the storytelling, but why not have it in some advanced settings section?

Toggle buttons, sliders, mmm. Delicious sandboxing, to allow you to play the way you want it, without first having to suggest or having to get a mod done.