[Request] Starship architect 2.0

Started by Quasarrgames, June 02, 2014, 07:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

Remember that buggy Rimworld prototype where you built a starship, travelled through space, and fought enemy ships? How would you feel if that was made into a total conversion mod for rimworld? Most stuff would be the same, but instead of ground, you would just have empty space to build in, and your base could move around and stuff. You could harvest asteroids, battle pirate ships, and trade or raid stations and merchant ships.

I really want this to be a rality, and i will help in any way that i can. Unfortunately all i can really do is texture and create new items, which is why i would like help with this. if anyone can help me make this mod a reality, please tell me.

CHEERS!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

todofwar

I agree wholeheartedly, if I knew any programming I would be on board.

AlyxMS

I think this can totally be a new game.
Considering how much effort it would need to make such thing.

Gerblemcriberle0

It can, and it can also be an expansion, or an extensive mod depending on what support Tynan (The Lead Developer) adds for the game.

So now you'd need:

1. Death tiles, or tiles that can be given a non-livable state. Which can be a modified form of fire particles.

2. Safe Tiles, or tiles that have the capacity to shift between safe state and death state based on the grid of safety in a region, such as checking its neighbor and checking its neighbor etc. This is beyond me technically speaking. But totally possible. And is already done, or else fire particles would consume you everywhere instantly and the game I believe handles things in cell regions per tile.

3. Vacuum damage/Zones, Atmosphere zones. You can now simulate vacuum of space via empty tiles in space (or space tiles) and even events, so characters are pushed into empty space tiles from non empty space when adjacent without a barrier (window/wall,grate/obstacles of certain type such as giant robot or group of people)

As for map transitioning and the simulation aspects, they could be small features at first, as if you read the changelog, Tynan is shown to add very awesome features in good time. Who knows what this game will be like in another years time? It sure as hell isn't the scam that most kickstarter games are now adays, and I wish Tynan had the mountain of money Blizzard has to make it even more amazing. Same for games like Kenshi, and Sui Generis. Etc.

But yeah it'd take work, but how much depends on how you approach it. When you come right down to it, video games are moving pictures to sound with calculators.

Crimsonknight3

I'd get behind this aswell and happily pay to have it as a sort of mod/expansion - Tynan could perhaps even look into making this an expansion in the future... Release it as a "prequel" to Rimworld, start with a black screen and white text saying "You were only meant to be taking a short journey <br> this is how your lives changed forever"

or some such "Your already doomed lets see how long you can last" type thing, or perhaps even have it as a pre-lude to rimworld... Have a random amount of time limited to a minimum of 6 real hours and a maximum of 12 real hours, and have the state of your "ship" at the time of the random "crash" event, play into the beginning of the vanilla rimworld experience... maybe keep a few materials or extra crew perhaps...?

Anyway, got my thumbs up :)

Morrigi

Sleeper_Service

I always imagined this as a possible final goal for the game. Design and build a starship in your colony to escape the planet. There could be special high tier walls and furniture for this, as well as expensive fixed components (engines, lives support and so on) that have to be part of the space-ship. There is already code that detects if rooms are closed and such, so I imagine the technical side of this is not that complex. Once you finished building your space ship with all the required components, you can take off and "win" the game. The player could then be rated on the wealth contained in the ship and the game could give a score based on that. There could even be various outro texts that describe the fate of the colonists and how successful the escape goes, based on the quality of the ship, supplies on board and so on.