Smarter pawn rolls

Started by Zombull, December 22, 2017, 02:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombull

Trait and stat generation systems need to be a bit more aware of each other. It shouldn't generate a non-violent pawn with high skills in or burning passion for shooting or melee. A brawler gets mad when she has to hold a gun. She shouldn't have passion for shooting.

I feel like the game is "meant" to be played with random colonists. Silly rolls like these, though, are why that's rarely plausible.

patoka

preach

i also have an issue with backstories giving you plus points in certain skills and then immediately killing that skill with another part of the backstory. kinda defeats the purpose.
i mean i could see how someone that is really good at football gets traumatized in a way that he or she just cant play football anymore, but isnt this what the character generation is for? you get randomized characters that arent op or underpowered is what i always assumed.

sure enough, there are backstories that are better than others, same with traits, but it is kind of annoying that the game is so unforgiving in many aspects but you dont even start off the same or even a similar way

i would love to start off with a non-violent character, a mute, a drunkard, a peglegged pirate wannabe and another guy that constantly breaks, but i need to get compensated in some way for having chosen them, dont you think?

all that said i know very little about the algorithm how pawns are generated. do they start off with a 0 in every skill, get their age assigned and every 5 years of age gives them a point in a random skill, then a random number of passionate and highly passionate skills and only then does the backstory (if above the age of 18 backstorieS) come into effect?
imho we should first generate backstories and only then assign the random number of passions and the changing number of additional skill points.
oh wait i forgot the traits. those should also come into effect earlier like OP said.

but honestly i just came here to cry about all my pawns that are passionate about things they have one skill point in xD
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?