[B18] harvesting not 100% grown crops is "plant cut"

Started by arl85, December 22, 2017, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arl85

Hi, not sure if it is more a bug or a suggestion, but when you manually ask to harvest crops (in a growing area) this job is governed by "plant cut" job priority.
I think it would be better if it is governed by the "grow" job priority: usually you manually order to harvest crops if there's a cold snap or a toxic fallout, and you're interested in the harvest not failing.
I usually consider plant cut a low-level job, used to clear an area, so I don't care about the yeld (harvest chance).
What do you think?

Snafu_RW

Grow skill will automatically prioritise plant cutting only if crops are at 100% to generate max yield; I'm unsure if sowing trumps this (I can see arguments either way)

Painting areas with 'harvest/cut plants' will allow pawns to  clearcut an area (eg for building/materials) while ignoring yield; this uses 'cut plants' skill. Again I can see arguments either way..

I'm not even sure if swapping 'grow' & 'cut' skills in the priority tree helps that much: some colonies will prefer one over the other; others won't care that much (eg look at tropical forest vs arid shrubs vs temperate)
Dom 8-)

Vlad0mi3r

This is not necessarily the case.
Plant cutting is if the crops are not anywhere near maturity I think around 80% of less. You can still use the Harvest tool but only on sufficiently mature crops.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

arl85

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on January 02, 2018, 08:36:13 AM
Plant cutting is if the crops are not anywhere near maturity I think around 80% of less. You can still use the Harvest tool but only on sufficiently mature crops.
Yes, I can select them using the "harvest" tool, but only pawns with a "plant cut" job will harvest them.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: arl85 on January 08, 2018, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on January 02, 2018, 08:36:13 AM
Yes, I can select them using the "harvest" tool, but only pawns with a "plant cut" job will harvest them.

That I believe is WAD (Working as Designed.) If you want that changed you'll need to start a new thread with your reasoning in the "Suggestions" sub-forum rather than here in the "Bugs" sub.

Calahan

I think this is WAD, but when written down it does look a little bit illogical: (that is if the following is a decent summary of the problem)

- Harvesting (in a growing zone) is a job type that falls under Grow.
- Crops are automatically harvested (in a growing zone) at 100% growth by Pawns assigned to Grow.
- But Players can order crops to be harvested at between 65%-<100% growth (irrespective of growing zone), although those harvesting jobs (that are in a growing zone) can not be performed by a Pawn assigned /just/ to Grow, only by Pawns assigned to Plant Cut.

So it does seem a bit odd that Growers can't harvest non 100% growth crops inside a growing zone. Since a) it is a crop, and b) it is in a growing zone. And crops and growing zones are supposed to be "their thing". So:

Suggested solutions.
1 - Move all harvesting jobs to Grow.*
2 - Allow Growers to perform all harvesting jobs inside a grow zone irrespective of the plant's current growth percentage (providing it's above the 65.X% growth where harvesting is allowed).**
--- And forbid Plant Cutters from performing harvesting jobs inside a growing zone?**
3 - ??

* But what about harvesting jobs outside of a growing zone? Do players want their growers running off to harvest crops in the wild?
** What happens to that harvesting job then in regards to Plant Cutters? Are they still allowed to perform harvesting jobs inside a grow zone? Can jobs types be associated with two (or more) work categories? (I'm not a modder so genuinely don't know). Will disabling a job for a work category based on it being inside/outside a growing zone confusing? Is this actually a desirable change? Or all just confusing?

So it does seem a bit inconsistent to me that a job type changes work categories simply based on how grown a crop is. And I think logically, Growers should be able to perform all plant-related jobs that are inside a growing zone ("I am a Grower. Therefore I am THE boss of the growing zone"). But not sure if there a simple solution?

I'll leave this is bugs for now at least (and to see if other solutions are offered, or comments/corrections on what I've written).

NeverPire

What you have forgotten to mention is that when simple plant cutters harvest vegetables, they have a huge chance of failing the harvesting, that's why it should be pawns assigned to grow who should harvest them.
It's a more problematic issue about this case.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

SpaceDorf

Another thing that now has to be considered are blighted plants.

Whenever I designate them to be cut, my growers seem to have a dozen better things to do.

The best way I can think of to clarify the problem would be to use Zones, micro managing who is allowed in your growing zones.

*Harvesting outside of Growing Zones : Yes I want competent people to do that as well.

**What happens to harvesting jobs in regards to plant cutters :

Harvesting falls under Growing. If the Harvesting designator/icon is used and I expect harvested crops then a Grower should do it.

If the cutting designator/icon is used I expect the plant to be removed and a plant cutter should do it. If there is a chance of crops, the result should be diminished, because it is a side product of removing the complete plant in comparison to carefully harvest it.

In this avenue harvesting should take a bit longer than simple cutting.

Sadly I am not sure where to put cutting down trees, because I don't want my Growers to only do this, when they have nothing else to do, but I would like to priorize between Farming, Foraging, Woodcutting and removing shrubbery.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.