Question about conflicting backstorys cancelling each other

Started by lux3y, December 30, 2017, 08:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lux3y

Current situation on backstory of my pawn Lercha, a Tender.

Childhood: Vengeful child, wich gives shooting +3, melee +3 and Doctoring disabled.
Adulthood: Cave tender, wich gives medicine +3, cooking +4 and crafting +2.

Now i have the scenario where my main doctors were downed and needed to get healed up and i was looking at my pawns and noticed that Lercha, is a tender. However doctoring is entirely disabled because of her childhood while in her adulthood it says medicine +3.
What is the deal with this? Is this a known bug/issue? Would it make more sense to completely ignore the disabled doctoring skill since that was in her childhood and she is now 29years of age? I am just curious if this is intended as is or not.

Thanks

Shurp

This sort of absurdity does seem to be an intentional Rimworld feature :)  But you could try reporting it in Bugs and see if we can prod the developers to fix it in the next update.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

lux3y

I see, is it possible to get my post moved into the bugs section or should i just copy it over there?

Calahan

Edit - Update - AFAIK Tynan is generally aware of some issues with Pawn generating and skill/backstory conflicts. But he has also fixed specific examples of these conflicts when provided though. eg. https://ludeon.com/mantis/view.php?id=2460 . So if anyone has any more examples of conflicts then please post them here (although please can anyone posting a conflict check to make sure it's possible in the vanilla game and not due to backstories added by a mod. Thanks).

Another (possible*) example reported previously (*it's an old report so might alreasy be fixed,, although the thread isn't closed so maybe still present).

Quote from: Kagemusha12 on July 28, 2016, 02:21:36 AM
Obviously an oversight (or lack of automatic check what combinations fit together)

I came upon a member of a raid who had:

Childhood: Vengeful Child
Adulthood: Healer

That doesn't make sense ... Vengeful Child = Incapable of Caring -> Medicine deactivated
Therefore it wouldn't make sense for him to go into a medical profession at adulthood.

Edit: Confirmed the example in the OP. Found the following others

Childhood: Game fanatic - Disables Art
Adulthood: Tool Mechanic - Artistic +2

Childhood: Reclusive child - Disables Wardening
Adulthood: Lore keeper - Social +3

Childhood: Reclusive child - Disables Wardening
Adulthood: Scout - Social +2

NeverPire

And what about these, as reported in this topic : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37180.msg380298#msg380298

Stable girl so supposed to never do wardening and :
She has a passion and is doing wardening just now.

What is really annoying, I am constantly forced to enlist her to avoid some 0,01% recruit chance occurs, even if wardening cannot even be activated among her tasks.

Is there any possibility it's linked to the fact that the pawn has reached the adulthood and this cancels her childhood backstory ?

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.