[0.18.1722]What are hoopstones ?

Started by NeverPire, January 02, 2018, 01:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeverPire

Hello,
I'm translating Rimworld to French and I have met the activity "playing hoopstone".
I have never met them in games so I am not sure what they are exactly.

Are they really hoops made in stone ?

I need the answer to translate them correctly.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Snafu_RW

'Playing horseshoes' ismy best guess at an English IG translation of the activity
Dom 8-)

dburgdorf

"Hoopstone" is a tribal variant of the horseshoes game. Simply put, it involves tossing stones into a hoop on the ground.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

NeverPire

Thank you for the detailed answer, dburgdorf. I can now correct a French translator who has translated that by "playing  hoop", "jouer au cerceau".
The RimWiki has no information about it. It's sad, it's a nice additon to the game.

Hans Lemurson

I'm curious about how one goes about translating these things.  What did you decide was the better translation?  I imagine there's got to be a game that has a name French that's similar to the game the Tribals are playing.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

NeverPire

Personnally, I don't know and don't find on internet any French name for this specific game.

Without it, I'm forced to describe the process instead of simply name it.
So, to translate "playing hoopstone", I have write "playing to aim a circle drawn on the ground with pebbles".
I hesitate to replace it by "playing to aim a target with pebbles" which is really shorter but less precise.

I have stored the path to the related file so if I find later a better translation, I will replace it.

sydbarrret

Le jeu du palet breton peut ĂȘtre ?
http://www.amuzbois.fr/jeux-en-bois/palet-breton/

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!

Hans Lemurson

Hmmm...yes...how do you translate fictitious concepts?  "Hoopstone" doesn't even refer to any known game in english, so how do you make it french?

"The Hoop Game"?
"Tossing Hoop"?
"lapider de cerceau" (pardon my google french)

Part of the trouble is that "Hoopstone" isn't even clear english.  At a first read, it seems to imply that there is a stone that is either for hoops, or is itself a hoop.  Neither of which are really the case here. (Though I suppose that the stones which are tossed are "for" the hoop, and so the name could refer to those stones.)

So perhaps you should try translating it into bad French?  :P

NeverPire

Quote from: Bozobub on January 03, 2018, 04:04:56 AM
"Hoopstone" sounds very close to quoits.
It the closest I have seen until now but it is still different.

Les Palets Bretons sont trop différents pour que j'utilise ce nom/ Palets Bretons are too different.

Nice idea Hans, but it's not easy to invent a name, as the goal is still that players understand.
I can't imagine better than stones-into-the-circle. In French : "Pierres-dans-le-cercle".

Last version without invented name : "playing to throw pebbles in a circle drawn on the ground".

Hans Lemurson

In the description, it says that the hoop in question is lying on the ground and is the circle you are trying to toss the stones into, so I think a "Hoop" of some sort deserves to be part of the name.

"Stone in the Hoop" --> "Pierre-dans-le-Cerceau" seems reasonable, but I don't know if it sounds better or worse in French.

Perhaps a bad french name could also be a direct translation: "Cerceau Pierres".  Would that be totally unacceptable in French, or "the sort of thing that tribals might try to say"?

NeverPire

"Cerceau" is really the worst word I can find in French to translate that. Here is the only meaning of "cerceau" in French :
It has no relation with hoopstone.

Maybe should I use "ring". "Ringstone" sounds great. "Pierres de l'Anneau". At least it's beautiful, even in French.
A ring can have any size so it matches the game.

Jimyoda

It might as well be called 'hoop and stones'. The hoop (or ring) has nothing to do with a stone or being made of stone, so (yes, it's a made up word as Hans said) it's rather a misnomer. In-game it can be made of wood, metal, or stone, and regardless, the stones are separate. So it should be easier to translate 'hoop and stones' into French. Hope that helps.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I added the wiki page for it. We just don't have pictures quite yet.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

NeverPire

It's interesting.
"Anneau et galets"/"Ring and pebbles" doesn't sound too bad in French and it matches rightly the game.
It's the more representative of all propositions so I'm going to choose this one as I can't wait for a while to look for better. Thanks Jimyoda and all the others  ;D

Snafu_RW

FWIW simple 'Boules' (or P'tank) comes pretty close to the idea of the activity, & it's already an existing French game
Dom 8-)