Travel Concerns

Started by Ozymandias, January 12, 2014, 02:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozymandias

From the few hours I played the alpha, I've discovered that by-far one of the greatest problems is the immense amount of time people spend traveling (unless you cover the entire surface with concrete.) This is a particularly important issue considering that the people also spend a considerable amount of time sleeping.

In Craft the World for instance (a recently released strategy game with similar mechanics), a couple of options exist to minimize travel time: railways; portals; the option to consume certain beverages that make them work more efficiently and travel much faster. And on top of that the dwarves only sleep to heal.

I wouldn't expect portals in this game, or for the daily sleep mechanism to be removed, since realism seems to be a heavy emphasis. But railways I think would be a perfect addition, given specifically the fact that it's a top-down strategy. (Craft the World is played from the profile.)

The option to build multiple floors would also reduce many of these travel woes. Versus forcing urban sprawl against our will, demanding that the people travel great distances to get to their destination, having the option to grow vertically would save us a tremendous amount of unnecessary travel.

A few other ideas:

• Taming horses or animals for people to ride (and to eat)
  • Vehicles (since they can build geo-thermal power plants)
  • Conveyor belts

Galileus

There will be no z-levels and vehicles are rather unlikely.

Trensicourt

Having multiple levels would make this game.... wierd. Unless you the game has an option to show you certain levels. For example, you turn on floor 3 mode. All the floors below that wouldn't be shown. But floors lower than that floor next to it would only show the roof and same with the ground.
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

Ozymandias

Quote from: Trensicourt on January 12, 2014, 03:06:23 PM
Having multiple levels would make this game.... wierd. Unless you the game has an option to show you certain levels. For example, you turn on floor 3 mode. All the floors below that wouldn't be shown. But floors lower than that floor next to it would only show the roof and same with the ground.

That's exactly what I had in mind. Sort of like Sims, switching through floors.

Sinnick

I would like to see a muffalo driven wagon train as well.

kdfsjljklgjfg

I do see the concern in travel. At a point, your colony gets big enough that it takes an exorbitant amount of time to get from their bed to the mine or defensive positions. I do agree also though with the concern that this game isn't built in a way that multiple floors would be the best idea. MAYBE one underground floor, but that's the absolute most.

Instead, I think what would be better would be two things:

For personnel travel, a sort of railway system where people get into carts and ride to their destination.
For resource transportation, as was mentioned, a conveyor-belt system that will allow colonists to just drop off their cargo on the belt and let it be naturally carried to its target.

The way I see it, vehicles is another complex thing to program, and though the maps aren't exactly "tiny", any vehicle the colonists create would either be Model T slow, or game-breakingly fast. Also, anything that you can just jump onto and use to make your entire colony be more efficient seems also to be a little too good. A train cart's characteristics seem like it would fit as a long-range only transportation device. Generally they accelerate slowly, despite their high top speed, so you won't just have colonists zipping around the map, completing tasks at lightning speed, but they don't have to walk the entire map.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: kdfsjljklgjfg on January 17, 2014, 07:12:27 PM
I do see the concern in travel. At a point, your colony gets big enough that it takes an exorbitant amount of time to get from their bed to the mine or defensive positions. I do agree also though with the concern that this game isn't built in a way that multiple floors would be the best idea. MAYBE one underground floor, but that's the absolute most.

Instead, I think what would be better would be two things:

For personnel travel, a sort of railway system where people get into carts and ride to their destination.
For resource transportation, as was mentioned, a conveyor-belt system that will allow colonists to just drop off their cargo on the belt and let it be naturally carried to its target.

The way I see it, vehicles is another complex thing to program, and though the maps aren't exactly "tiny", any vehicle the colonists create would either be Model T slow, or game-breakingly fast. Also, anything that you can just jump onto and use to make your entire colony be more efficient seems also to be a little too good. A train cart's characteristics seem like it would fit as a long-range only transportation device. Generally they accelerate slowly, despite their high top speed, so you won't just have colonists zipping around the map, completing tasks at lightning speed, but they don't have to walk the entire map.

What storyteller do you play as, usually your colony doesnt get super huge.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Trensicourt

Before you talk about depth, I suggest a 3D version of Rim World.... then we can do some real suggestions.

Galileus

Quote from: Trensicourt on January 17, 2014, 09:40:18 PM
Before you talk about depth, I suggest a 3D version of Rim World.... then we can do some real suggestions.

Not going to happen.

Trensicourt

Yeah, but it could happen in the next 5 years, or we can do a community version of Rim World.

Galileus

Quote from: Trensicourt on January 17, 2014, 10:25:34 PM
Yeah, but it could happen in the next 5 years, or we can do a community version of Rim World.

Not going to happen. Ever.

kdfsjljklgjfg

Quote from: Galileus on January 18, 2014, 03:40:45 AM
Quote from: Trensicourt on January 17, 2014, 10:25:34 PM

Not going to happen. Ever.

Rimworld 2: Isolation

Set for 2020 release