Got an idea for a Storyteller incident?

Started by Tynan, September 17, 2013, 06:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Semmy

Quote from: British on October 04, 2013, 05:56:03 PM
Quote from: Semmy on October 04, 2013, 05:50:52 PM
How about roof collapses.
That may or may not pertain to your proposal, but there's a whole discussion about Z-axis on KS at the moment (or, well, a few hours ago).

I saw that on kickstarter.
But im talking about simple collapsing. No need for Tynan to go into z-axis yet
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

British

Well, if there's no Z-axis, it'd feel like breaking the fourth wall, and that'd be odd.
That's the way I see it, anyway.

And it doesn't matter because it's better to have people propose their idea here, rather than rambling about other's !

Semmy

Quote from: British on October 04, 2013, 06:01:10 PM
Well, if there's no Z-axis, it'd feel like breaking the fourth wall, and that'd be odd.
That's the way I see it, anyway.

And it doesn't matter because it's better to have people propose their idea here, rather than rambling about other's !

true true im just trying to prevent him getting into a massive challenge.
And thats what z-axis is.

I mean the number of ways to get from 1 floor to the other would give him massive amounts of work.
Stairs - elevators - slides - ramps - fireman poles (-; and many many more (-:

It would make alot of different incidents buildings strategies possible.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Kalesin

Time travel:

During the game you see a new settler, by the same name and is a copy of one of the settlers (which you already had will call A and the new, I travel in time, B).

That means that, at some future point in the game, to build a time machine and travel back in time, becoming B.

The fields to follow would be, you are playing with A and B, there comes a time that builds the time machine, and you disappear the settler A (to have traveled back in time) and you have left the settler B (would be an advantage as which in principle B is better than A, because it has had more time to improve).

You do not build the time machine, which is a paradox porduce catastrophic effects (A and B die or disappear, some incident, ...)

Edit:
I've seen that already had ideas since time travel, this would be my idea of ​​how to make a journey playable in-game time.

thekillergreece

How about illness?Cold?Heat system?

Like, on summer, there is a lot sunny times, you get easily tired and you want fresh air..But where?Air conditioner!But it needs parts and energy from power station...If you wont do your job on finding the air conditioner, you may end up game over.

Cold weathers, you catch the cold and should stay inside for many days, turn on your radiators if you dont want your survivors freeze, and die from illness...

Ferigad

Well, my 2 cents.

Rage-Syndrom: Colonists become more and more angry, when your medic guys find out that some kind of radiation influences them. Leads up to a old device from a ancient war that used some brainwaves to increase aggression and paranoya on the enemy troops. Keep it, destroy it, even use it agains your enemys? Hmm...

Guilty: Mysterious things happens when a new arived colonist is found dead. First you suspect pirates, but after some times, it becomes clear that somebody of your own is guilty. A regular case, but when you learn that the new colonist was once a warlord that killed thousends of peoples, you are faced with a moral decision that could affect the entire colony. Serve Justice or show mercy? That choice could affect your entire colony and how the people will think about you as their leader.

Fission sucks!: All goes well and you are able to repeal the pirate attacks. But then you get a strange signal from your old ship. It seems like the fusion core survived the crash and loosing magnetic contaiment. Can you reach the wreckage in time to prevent a catastrophic meltdown  that would shift the climate of the planet? Stop a Nuke from goin off! And even better, get some juicy tech from the wreackage, maybe even a (mostly) working fission reactor!

EMP Asteroid: (Yeah, thats a classic!) A meteor is comming down, but this time its not a regular one. Just in time your scientists inform you that this one will explode high enough in the atmosphere to create a electromagnetic pulse. Hurry up and try to get as mutch equipment as you can to safety, or at least shut down your powergrid. Otherwise, welcome to the stoneage!

Dark Sky: (Yes, mostly like the solar eclipse idear some pages back) Look, a solar eclipse. But why is that muffalon so angry? Wait a minute... all animals of the planet becomes enraged. Why? Who cares, grab your guns and close the doors! And dont forget the lights! A night of the terror style encounter.

Wish you where here: One of your colonists lost a love one when your ship crashed. But then, you get a weak transmision. He/she is alive. But you learn that the slavetraders got the same messeage. Can you reach him/her in time to save him/her and to reunite him/her with his/her loved one? (It doesn´t sound mutch, but i think a bit romantic can´t hurt)

Cold Sleep: When you check out the ruins of a old colony, you find a hibernationpod. Inside you see a single human. After examine it, you accidantly awake the person inside. (Friendly and hurray, a new colonist. Foe? Well, bad luck then. His reanimation triggerd a beacon and his friends are comming...)

No idear what kind of storys are even able with the engine or easy to do. So i just wrote down some basics and the idear behind it. From a perspective of story, it could be good integrated in some storylines. Like the loved one is a engeneer that helps you with a other issue. Or the guy from the hibernationpod is the son of a mercenary clan and they think you kept him hostage and so on. Will write more if i still get any idears.

Sobel

Only just joined and gave the thread a quick skim through, some awesome ideas btw!

My thoughts for a storyteller incident would be almost drawing directly from Firefly/Serenity. I'm not sure if the game will allow actions to be chosen which then can affect how a story plays out.

You hire a random colonist from a transport (you see where this is going already) who seems to have fairly low/average stats, but upon undertaking some action, suddenly has that associated stat maxed out.

Maybe a colonist with a low shooter skill kills someone during a raid, some lore is maybe told and it's discovered he was actually either :

- Genetically enhanced super soldier that has no memory of who he was (call the character Bane Sojourn - hint Anagram)
- A betrayed high ranking military officer (Call him Gad Tailor)

etc.

There is then a chance that at some indeterminate point later on, some people come looking for him/her and you are presented with options such as :

Defend them (kill the investigators)
Trick them (fool them into opening a grave and taking the corpse of what they think is their target)
Bribe them (money/guns/food etc.)
Intimidate them (use fear to make them leave)
Hand them over (lose reputation and that persons skill)

The options would be your typical RPG style which would be close/open depending on colonists skills/levels/traits and you'd have % chances for each depending on actual skill level ranges.

If you fail you lose both ways, the stranger is taken away/killed and you suffer a penalty, such as higher buy prices from traders, slower research, more raiders etc.

Anyway just a thought, probably way beyond what is possible for the moment in terms of the engine.

AspenShadow

Similar to above I've been going through the previous suggestions and they all sound awesome, if starting to get a bit complex; simple events can link with others after all.

I love the idea of a Tribble-esque scenario and the Dune-Worms.
I'd like to throw a few suggestions of my own into the pile as well:

AI Revolt - After researching advanced technology to automatically perform a task in the colony for the player, it revolts against you and you can either try to appease it or hack it or destroy the hardware it inhabits.

Overgrowth - The introduction of a new mineral from a fallen asteroid/debris has caused the local plant-life to grow at alarming rates and is reclaiming the area for nature. If you manage to deal with the situation you can use the mineral through research for better food growth rate.

Back to the Future - At some point one of your colonists either in the lab studying advanced technology or activating ancient alien tech in a lost temple will disappear into a vortex. At a random point in the future of your colony he'll re-emerge with no time having passed for him at all, people are happy at seeing him again, you get a favoured/useful colonist back from the dead, but he might have difficulty adjusting to missing days/months/years of his life.

Trials and Tribulations - An advanced race has been studying you and is considering an alliance/trade-agreement/uplifting, they present you with advanced technology and how/if you use it is a test for their final decision (unknown to player). They will think you wise or foolish based on the decision; possibly lucky if your decision works out well even if they didn't agree, and initiate the alliance/trade/uplifting for real.

Long-Term Effects - A miracle drug your colonists found/created from the local flora and have been using steadily has suddenly shown a long-term side effect nobody could've predicted. Positive, negative, downright strange? (Random Seed)

Tale of Two Cities - Two indigenous tribes of the area have been fighting for a long time and have recently insisted on dragging you into it after an attack. Who will you side with? Can you broker peace? And if you do... will they be grateful or take advantage of this new alliance to oust your colony from their land?

The Old Growth - After exploring an archaeological site your colonists are noticing the spread of a strange fungus that while harmless/beneficial to humans, is quite toxic to the local wildlife or your crops.

Lucky 13 - One of your colonists has got a bit of a gambling problem. He's wracked up debts he can't afford, he has a chance to win it all back and then some but he needs some money from the colony to stake his entry fee to the tournament. Are ya feeling lucky punk? [Chance to lose your deposit and the colonist is taken by debtors, pay off his debts but don't let him enter tournament, and the tantalizingly possibility of success to double what you invested in him!]

Amnesia - Sadly one of your colonists has suffered a rather nasty head injury (either from battle or from work) and has completely forgotten who he is. Is this a painful setback for a bright star? Or a chance to turn that slacker into a scientific genius? [Re-designate the class (e.g. nobleman) of one of your settlers, or perhaps reallocate skills with a slight minus for having to learn it all at once?]

Turbo

1) You could do an event inspired by Pitch Black.
Full moon happens: alien bug swarm comes from under the ground to attack the colony.

2) Something Starship Troopers Inspired
Bug swarms!

3) Medical Emergency!
Ship drops off infected crew and requests you research and administer a cure within X timeframe.

4) Pirate Blockade
Pirates stop traders from coming until you either pay their demands or capture their raiding party and parlay them back on the condition they leave.
Whatever happens, happens.

Pheanox

Pollution: Your over-development of the small area you are in starts causing disease or crop damage.

AI Sentience: The AI governing the computers in your outpost gains sentience.
    ~Benign AI that works to help the colony, contributing to research or helping attract traders.
    ~Neutral AI that observes. (Perhaps giving some witty commentary or something)
    ~Corrupted AI that sees humanity as a blight on this untouched paradise, and a struggle against your own defenses commences.

I think a great idea would be a way to modify which scenarios the storytellers can use, as well.  Not a zombie fan? (I'm not) Deselect that incident from happening.

walti921

Events that make use of the Dark/Light season cycle that you have.....

I think this is an interesting dynamic with allot of interesting possibilities for game-play

E.G.
PITCH BLACK!! a species of dangerous animal/alien that emerges when in the dark season only...

Solar radiation spikes.. potentially damaging electronics or causing turrets/robots turn on the colony.

There are a load more things that could be tied to eclipse / non-eclipse seasonality in game other than just raider arrival / trading
Id love to hear what others think of this.

Dejix

Off the top of my head. How about...

Infiltrator: A rescued or new colonist that is truly just there to sabotage things for an upcoming pirate raid. something like "Our misses Rimworld".  ;D

Bounty Hunter: There is a price on someones head and guess who's come to collect...

Solar Storm: Better get that radiation shield in place and hope it holds before the storm hits. In fact any sever storm can be a race against time.

Organ Harvesters: Because meat and organs don't grow on trees.

Geologic Instability: Series of events leading to regional or planetary destruction. Earthquake, Fissures, Lava, Volcano's, or whatever else you can think of. Research what you need and help stabilize the tectonic environment.

A clue is found: Why did your ship crash? Was it an accident or a malicious act? Maybe this will help you figure it out.

Metal/food pest: Something is eating/destroying/weakening our metal/food! Figure out the cause and stop it or move unaffected metal to a different location.

Ferigad

Here are some other idears of my, it could be that some of the idears could been posted before. In that case, sorry. The 2 idears with the ? means that i think it´s not possible at the moment, because the game doesn´t support it at it´s current state. As always, sorry for the gramma/typos.

Colony related:

- (?)Powerthief: Somebody is stealing battery power and sells it to the black marked. Effect: Until you get the thief, you will loose from time to time power/batterys. (that would mean you would need to use energy as a ressource, like in mobile batterypacks, and to be able to sell it. On the other hand, energy as a universal currency in a sci-fi setting isn´t that strange at all.)

- Food/Ressource/Weapon thief: Same as the powerevent, i just wanted to seperate it because at the moment you don´t have mobile powerstorage. As far as i know.

- Sabotage: Somebody sabotaged the defense grid/power grid and raiders are incomming.

- Storagebunker: When your guys digged into the mountain, they found that old bunker. From what you get, it´s an old warbunker with some old tech, but still useable for your colonists.

- Sporeinfestion: A spore has infested your crops. You need to devolope a counter agent to kill the spores, otherwise it will infect your entire cropproduction (could be a new effect on the planet, so it gets impossible/hard to raise crops outside and the only foodsource becomes hydroponics, until you can kill the spores.)

- Metal eating bacterias: Crap. The worst thing that can happen. The Planet is a biome for a metal eating bacteria. It seems like your highly refined metal is the perfect source for them. Send in the eggheads to find a cure.

- Infection of the food chain: It seems your nutrian dispenser was infected with a strange bacteria. Some of your colonists are allready ill. Find a way to cure them, maybe the flora and fauna of the planet can help you.

- Android: You discovered that one of your colonists is not a human. He is, in fact, an android. But you have no idear if he is friend or foe. Will you keep him or try to dismantle him? He could be valuable after his new talent is discovered, but a risk to the colony. On the other hand, his parts could be used to refill your storage with high tech material.

- (?)Watercontamination: Your watersource was contaminated. You are not sure why or who, but you have to find a way to fix it. Maybe you can find a answer at the source or somewhere in your colony. (Thats only if water will be present later)

Planet related:

- Alien artifact: You find an ancient artifact. You could use it to accelerate your research or sell it on the blackmarked. One of your eggheads even think it could lead you somewhere... to a treasure, or to an old horror?

- Von Neumann device: A Von Neumann probe crashlanded. Bad for you, the probe seems not to recognize your status as human being, and sends it´s nanites to collect raw material, even from your base. You will need more then rifles to beat that enemy, but one of your scientists has an idear. Grab a EMP and get it close enough to the probe. That should deal with it´s core a.i. and deactivate it.

- Raideroutpost: Raiders has established a base close to your position. It seems like they are not aware of you, for now. Is peacefull coexistince possible?

- Slaver base: Slavetraders has established a base close to your position. They offer you slavers for a good price, and they would even buy colonists from you. On the other hand, it would shake the moral foundation of your colony, if you get into a buisness like that...

- Unknown beacon: A beacon was found, transmitting data to an unknown position in space. You are not sure who or why it was send, but it seems like whoever send it, could come to search for it.

- S.O.S.: You recived an S.O.S. from a Ship thats about to crash on your world. Will you try to save the people when they crash, or just going in with your guns to take everything precious you can find?

- Schroedingers cat effect: One of your eggheads did it. He unlocked the secret of a quantum effect. Unfortunately, the effect seems to get out of control. You even had a visit from a dead colonist this morning. You should better hurry up, or otherwise your colony could end in a possibility where you never survived the crash in the first place.

- Mining company: A mining company has landed close to your position. It seems they are intressted in the local minerals. Be prepared. Who knows if they will not simply try to claim your storage, instead of digging for raw minerals.

- War relics: You found an old relic of a long forgotten war. It seems like a warmashine. You could dismantle it, or try to use it. But who knows what the consequences could be when you activate it?

- Invasion: An unknown force has landed in great numbers, and they are here for you. Prepare yourself, because from this moment, you are at war.

Gargrant

I read through the previous posts here, so I apologize if anything is too derivative to what's already been said.

EDIT:  Most of the description involved with some of these incident suggestions are meant to suggest possibilities for how these incidents may interact with other existing systems.  An increased chance of attack by Pirates after the "Snake Oil Technologists" come by, for example.

Animal Encounters

• Problem-Solving Predators - As prey species are hunted by the colonists - a certain class of predators begin to identify the colonists as a competitor for prey - and will attack colonists who are near their prey animals.
  • Rogue Predators - If a predator's prey species are exhausted (by the colonists or by other exigencies), some predators may switch to preying on colonists - not in a berserk fury, but through ambush and cunning (ie, when they outnumber the colonists, and when the colonists are far from base)
  • Unexpected Neighbors - What had appeared to anthropomorphically biased colonists to be merely another animal species may actually be sentient - if one the humans have difficulty contacting.  If acted against, this species may be able to telepathically control other large predator animals to attack, and may even lure colonists with hidden traits to join them in their warrens. Developing a useful symbiosis with the species may have many benefits.  (unapologetic homage to "40,000 in Gehenna" by CJ Cherryh). 
Low-Tech

• Superstitious Mis-Identification - One of your settlers looks way too much like a folk hero/God of a local tribe.  If they see him/her, a small group of people with strictly primitive skills try to join the settlement (a mixed blessing).  If they are refused, they attempt to kidnap the colonist - using force if necessary.  Also if they are refused, your colonist may decide to join them willingly depending on his/her own morale.
  • Sacrilege - On a similar theme, some piece of technology (maybe solar panels) is upsetting to a local people.  They attack and will destroy that technology.  They will only attack settlers if they are attacked.
  • Harem Raids - Low-tech societies can sustain themselves most successfully with many children.  A wandering tribe does not have enough women.  They will offer to buy women prisoners, but if their needs are not met or they are refused -they may lurk near fields and attempt to kidnap woman settlers.
  • Honor Raids - A single lone warrior may attempt to pass to steal/damage one piece of technology at night - taking back remnants to their group as proof of their victory.  The warrior will fight back if disturbed, but will attempt to flee.  If subdued and allowed to leave, they will leave peacefully.  If no one ever returns, the tribe may attack en masse.

Ultra-High Tech

• Automated Drone Mining - Similar (but less nasty) to the Berserker Idea, but a ultra-high-tech probe may land nearby and begin doing a massive amount of excavation.  The probe is actually only interested in gathering a certain amount of ore, but will mine as much nearby rock as necessary to achieve its goal.  It will ignore low-tech provocation, but will respond to attacks that have a chance of damaging it.  If you manage to destroy it, it may yield valuable tech (as well as a great deal of ore within its storage units).  Some may allow it to proceed unmolested, because the tunnels it leaves behind may be useful to a defensively-minded colony.
  • One Wayfarer to Another - An ultra high-tech personality manifests itself to your colony because of the presence of one or more individuals gifted with an otherwise hidden trait.  Those individuals are drawn to and learn from the entity, abandoning their normal work.  If the entity or the individuals are attacked by the colonists, it departs with them.  The entity will defend itself and its charges from outside threats savagely.  After a time, the entity leaves, and the colonists either have brand new useful abilities (maybe improved research skills or nigh immortality) or have developed brand new not very useful psychoses.

Ultra-Tech:

• Escorted Collection Group - A well-equipped party lands on the planet for some purpose - perhaps to mine or harvest a particularly rare material.  Their attached military unit immediately forms a perimeter, and the group proceeds with its work.  They leave peacefully if unmolested for a period of time.  If approached peacefully (ie, not by people with weapons), they may be willing to trade or even be helpful.  Canny settlers may lure pirates into attacking this delegation's perimeter - weakening both parties enough that the colonists can then route the pirates and then turn on the delegation and crush it.
  • Join our Dominion/Imperium/Federation - A successful and established colony may be offered the 'choice' of joining an off-world group.  The group may offer more or less advantages for joining, but will expect regular tariffs on produced materials and may even conscript colonists at will (they may also send undesirable colonists there).  If their offer is refused, or (especially if) the colony decides to ignore demands after joining, they may be attacked by a large organized group of space marines representing that power.
  • Snake-Oil Technologists - Traders come by and sell weapons/equipment at surprisingly reasonable prices - but that weaponry/equipment has very high failure rates.  The technologists may even be in league with particularly crafty pirate bands who shortly thereafter attack the seemingly well-armed and probably over-confident colonists.

Human Interactions across TL:

• The Carnival Comes to Town - A traveling show comes to your colony.  They entertain the colonists, but may have darker motives.  When they leave, they may take (willing or unwilling) colonists with them.  They may also steal unsupervised technology. If you send them away without a show, morale on base may drop precipitously.
  • Pleasure Slaves for a Price - A colony with a very high imbalance of men to women (in either direction) may be a perfect market for a visit from the fleshpot dealers.  They sell attractive, comely, often psychotic and usually unskilled slaves of the appropriate gender.  Particularly vile and enterprising slave dealers may actually be in cahoots with powerful pirate gangs - selling slaves with highly contagious diseases intended to weaken the colony before an attack
  • Rescue and Protection - A lone person (or very small group of people) are encountered.  They are on the run from what they describe as a particularly vile group of pirates.  The person, or people, have highly desirable abilities/talents (depending on the needs of the colony).  If they are taken in to the colony, a formidable pirate raid follows.  The pirates demand the return of their escapees.  If refused, your colonists may resent you putting their lives on the line for relative strangers.

williamknox

Not really a incident but like a world gen thing, maybe there could be like 1 - 2 bandits camps on the map and you can kill/capture the bandits and make a secondary base easily. Also you could make like territories when you have the requirements:

Researched: territories
Have 2 turrets
Have at least 1 gun

territories will be in the orders section, each tile of land will cost 2 metal (So people cant just claim all the territory around them) Also after a while the bandit's territory will grow.