Got an idea for a Storyteller incident?

Started by Tynan, September 17, 2013, 06:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prometheus110

This idea will probably be too hard to add in due to the number of things that'll need to be changed and/or added but damn it I want to play a smaller version of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri! Also keep in mind that times and distances are chosen at random for use as examples and should be disregarded post haste.

Polyp*: One of your colonists discovers a strange red polyp growing near the colony. It appears to use grow on and breakdown rocks for nutrients and may be able to damage our walls. (Once the events starts a single tile somewhere near the edge of the map gets turned into Polyp. The Polyp expands one tile in every direction every 1-2 days. Things like walls, tables, chairs etc etc that are next to a Polyp tile are dealt a small amount of damage over time but will prevent Polyp from spreading onto that tile. Polyp can be cleared by a colonist with the growing skill or a flame weapon.)

Spawn Thrower: If a Polyp tile is left alone for a set period of time (a few days, maybe 5?) it may transform into a Spawn Thrower (provided no other Spawn Thrower is within a set distance away). After being left along for a period of time, the Spawn Thrower will then launch a Spawn pod thingy (highly technical name, natch) in a random direction and up to a certain distance away. On landing the Spawn pod will transform every tile within 3 tiles of the landing site into polyp.

*or Xeno Fungus, depends on what'll get you sued I guess.

Noxmutagen

im lookin through the kickstarter page an this dude had a good one:

"

(I've decided that instead of modding perhaps more events with functions that go along with them (as in responses to environment and objects, etc) are perhaps more important. For instance, I'd love more of your dynamic biome changes, Right now you have weather but what if events could change the very map the player lives in real time? This would be even more amazing than it already is. One of the biggest examples of some really harsh event would be say )

"Raiders somewhere on the planet have launched a nuclear Armageddon. Seek shelter immediately!": this event could go hand in hand with events such as "Mutant Monster Raids." later or "Radiation Dust Storms" and changes to the biome such as nuclear winter, poisoned air for x number of years/days (i prefer years), base technology research for air filters(super complex, I know since you dont simulate air yet or maybe you wont, whatever), effect the types of npcs coming to the planet or wondering around (now everyone has gask masks and thick clothing or some are suffering from radiation sickness and maybe minor mutations, rare events like (if you include child birth, which I hope) children being born with psychic powers or maybe some people develop it due to high doses of radiation or something, anything really, even permanent forcing technologies to be researched like the gardens you can grow indoors and such.

It would also be great to research new tech like power armors, or even primitive versions like filter masks and goggles etc. Im not sure, a lot of ways to go about this but you get the idea. I think this game is pretty amazing.
"

not my idea but man im loving it. i could imagine fallout type scenarios an thats awesome.

Noxmutagen

Idea: "Encroaching corruption."
(inspired by the corruption biome in Terraria: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111209090850/terraria/images/5/58/Terraria_Corruption_Biome_with_Chasms.jpg )

Note: This ties in with the possible addition of Dynamic Biome shifts like weather effecting tiles real time.

Description: A corrupt influence starts to infect the landscape and can only be destroyed with fire or a cure. Or maybe even firearms. It should cause trees to become blackened and sickly. And anyone caught in the area can get sick and need to be nursed back to health with this corruption plague. Creatures will show signs of mutation and will attack settlers. If left alone long enough it can threaten to consume the player.

Possible Features:

-If the player is researched enough technology and found shelter inside of a mountain like bunker perhaps they can co-exist with it. This could play a role on longevity of the event and interesting features like personalities changing over time. And if you (I hope you add) have children being born in the bunker they could develop traits like "Mole Person", "Outside Dreamer", "Asthma", etc.

-I'd like to see changes in appearances as well. Items equipped could show how this effected your biome after awhile. Masks, clothing, etc.

-It should effect events like Raiders, raiders should be forced to fight the corruption while attempting to raid your settlement.

gamequiche

What I would find interesting is the arrival or birth of a "hero".  This hero could be bad or good, but s/he has an extraordinary gift and influence. An Einstein, Alexander the Great, Jesus, Charlie Chaplin, Michael Jordan or even a Hitler. 

Kaminczak

An idea-- "The Ruse"

Players are notified that an NPC has been detected. Closer examination shows the NPC near death, with a sliver of life and fading. On sending a colonist racing to save/rescue this "unconscious" stranger, an explosive is detonated (not too powerful) that kills the 'trap' outright, and wounding the would-be rescuer. This might initiate a mini-raid with one to four raiders seeking to capture the good Samaritan.

Matty

"Escape!"
During a power outage or disaster, one or more of your prisoners are escaping. Better catch them quick!

"High priority"
A man on the run from the law has landed on the planet. He has called for his crew of bandits to pick him up.
You receive a message from local authorities *BOUNTY, Bill Carson. {amount}*
Do you capture him?
If you do capture him, his crew will either offer a reward for him or they will simply steal him back. Or you could simply kill him, sending a message to those raider scum.
Or do you deal with the raiders and wait until the authorities can pick him up and collect your reward.
[P.S. Bill Carson: Refrence "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"]

"The End Game"
[When i read through the lore, I immediately thought of this as an end]
Your scientists have been running tests! And one of them seems to think they have found an experiment which will allow faster than light speeds! This is an incredible discovery, but with the current resources it will take a long time to achieve!
If you manage this feat of science, you can phone home and be rescued. This could even be the beginning of the transcendental stage! Anything is possible!
[Not a 100% serious idea, but an idea nonetheless]

Voltronguy

The Gorrillas

giant intelligent monsterz attack your settlement an kidnap your women

after a long time on the planet halfbreed gorillas with weapons attack u.

Brynath

Odd Radiation/Nanotech storm:
  All the Animals now have the ability to talk... or maybe just start saying random things.

AI Malfunction:
  The Base Computer, or Automatic Doors, Or Auto Turret, isn't acting quite right. Maybe it fell in love with one of the colonists, or secretly hates one of the colonists. Making that colonists life easier/harder, Think the Auto doors don't Open, or maybe it greets the colonist with longing? in the case of auto turrets maybe they focus on anyone who attacks said colonist even when they can't actually hit them, or maybe just fires a warning shot at the colonist randomly.

Just some Ideas.

jpheep

A trade goes awry. When the goods land, it turns out to be pirates/bomb/etc.

if alcohol can be involved - Party night, the colony celebrates something or another.  no big deal, but it can be tied into other events, such as an attack during/after while everyone is still drunk

Crashed but mostly intact ship.  send some colonists to explore it, potential for tactical room to room fighting with monsters or hostile inhabitants.  could also have an unstable rector that requires a large amount of repair so it doesn't take out a large section of map. could have nothing.  regardless, the ships hull can be deconstructed over time for salvage or it slowly turns to rubble.

TerroristMommy

Bomb IA raiders uses bombs to get from behind and also bazooka (2 man job) to destroy walls, turrets and sandbags. Lightning strikes and fires beening devastating and frag nades to.
Stealth IA raiders mines around in the base and are not seen or anything until shoting or direct seen by colonist. MSG about them beening around would be good!

TerroristMommy

Riding muffalos in to battle!!! Also raiders doing that. Raiders not grouping up and some staying behind a few blocks to avoid blasting chargers OPness. Super conductor (30-50 less chance to blow up). High power turret shoting rockets (only buy from trader and cost a lot like maybe 1000-2000 per rocket). Raiders using EMP kinda stuff and blames it at solar flare (could be at stealth raiders(what I sent last time). More cover for them on natural walls (small holes to take cover in). Hole that you can use to cover up with plants to make raider fall in and have a 95% chance to die. Door and be manual opens and closed (let raiders in and out for example). That I have to come up with might come more and everything is my ideas of course I will say if its not my otherwise.

yabbadabbado

The Flash

Goes hand in hand with biomes

The sun has superheated the gas giant causing a reflective ray on the magnitude of over 9000 to flash the planets atmosphere away. Seek shelter immediately!

Description: The planet loses its O-zone, everyone needs to live underground forever, or until they can build their own terraforming machine (which should be either purchased for a ton of money, or even, researched somehow later game based on purchased technology unlocking the option)

Xenocide7

Cheap Idea

1) -  Loyal Friend : Dog arrives with crew , Will kill all small non friendly vermine on site ( if 2 or more dogs are on premesis , will kill large animals aswell )

2) -  Overpopulated Colony Ship - Offers to give you 2-3 colonists  ( and or a dog ) in exchange for  100  natural resources of your choice  , per colonist

( was unsure where to post , so it is also posted in cheep ideas)

Xenocide7

An Unfortunate End :

A Native Deadly bacteria Found its way into your food paste dispenser.
All of your food kept there is now ruined ( 80% of total food )

And the Unfortunate Colonist who discovered this was Eating Breakfast at the time , and After warning the colony
Died of Internal Haemorrhaging.

In addition , It was discovered this bacterial cannot be cleaned , you must Build a New Food Processing Unit

Produno

A quick idea i had. I origonally posted this in the cheap suggestion thread then i noticed this thread.

Once you build a Comms Link (or whatever its called). You randomly get a distress signal along the lines off

''*interference* The Colony... ...Under attack... ..big crazy squirrels.... ... *more interference* ..im locked in the .... room... *loud banging in the background* ..im the only ... left .... *banging gets louder* .. please help... .... *loud bang and lots of noises* oh no... *savage noises* ARRGGHH...''

Then you get a timer pop up. This is how long until these mutant squirrels reach your colony. :)