Memory problems and mod related GREED

Started by Madman666, January 03, 2018, 06:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

Rimworld is absolutely amazing game, it provided me countless hours of fun already and one of its most magnificent qualities is insanely rich and productive modding community. There are hundreds of cool mods on Steam and here on forums, some are plain OP and some are fine-tuned to blend in with vanilla content perfectly.

I am more than sure, that I am not alone in trying to run with 100-120+ mods, which pretty much doubles or even triples the available content, so you must be familiar with problems that abuse of too many mods can bring you - lags and crashes. How do you guys deal with such variety, choosing to play with some mods, sacrificing others? You know - the eternal 32-bit application memory limit problem, which just silently crashes RW to desktop, when you try to cram too much stuff in it?

I dealt with lag problem rich-boy style, bought the best CPU i could and overclocked it to space levels, so I don't have any problems with lags. So now I have memory related ones)

Maybe there is a magic wand that makes RW able to access more than 4 gb of RAM and I don't know about it. Or maybe there is a mod or tweak, that optimizes memory usage, eliminates memory leaks...?

Any opinions, advice and info about mods in general, memory problems, ways to identify and solve them - I'd be glad to hear all of them, if you got the time to spare.

One thing - i really like to play on huge maps, so tips like "you should play on small-default sized maps and have 13 people storyteller gives you" aren't really viable. Cheers!)

notfood

The magic wand is to install Linux because RimWorld comes with x86-64 architecture and can use all the available RAM.

I run with a lot of mods and a huge map. It never crashes with OOM and I mean it.

Madman666

Quote from: notfood on January 03, 2018, 07:11:46 PM
The magic wand is to install Linux because RimWorld comes with x86-64 architecture and can use all the available RAM.

I run with a lot of mods and a huge map. It never crashes with OOM and I mean it.

Well I'll be! Thats news to me. I assume Linux installed on a virtual machine like VirtualBox for example will do the trick then? I don't know crap about Linux so I won't be using it as a main OS, but I sure as hell will make a small virtual image if that helps me get rid of this atrocious memory limitation.

Bozobub

It's pretty easy to make single-purpose virtual machines for this sort of thing.  It can easily pay off, even with the virtual machine overhead, especially if you use it for more than one game.

That's one of the reasons I find Windows/Linux wars so amusing; each can run the other as a virtual instance, so the point is largely moot.
Thanks, belgord!

Madman666

You guys just made my day. No, thats not right - my whole vacation! I got sick and tired of crashes either on map gen or after like 1-2 hour of play in the most important moment. Finally my damn 32 Gb of Ram can be useful for change. Now I just have to figure out, how to properly install and use Linux after years and years of Windows use.

And I don't need all that memory reclaiming, 4gb patches and other voo doo stuff... How glorious is that?! Unless Linux version of RW has its own weird quirks and issues.

Madman666

Welp. Surprisingly enough I got Steam working on an Ubuntu 17.10 build via VirtualBox. But god how it sucks ass performance-wise, i dunno anything about Linux, so maybe I just did something way wrong. I will also try one other vitrual machine, but I kinda think if I want limitless ram for RW I'll have to go dual boot route and thats really unpleasant :(

Upd: Damn, when you're right - you're right. I overloaded RW with crapton of mods and it did start up and even worked properly (even though performance was crap), so I am thinking about dual-booting ubuntu 17 with win 10.

So the question for knowledgeable people is - will there be even proper drivers on Ubuntu for my hardware to work properly? (Motherboard Asrock z370 extreme4, Intel core I7 8700k, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980).

notfood

Madman666

Quote from: notfood on January 03, 2018, 10:47:52 PM
Use the closed source video drivers and it'll be golden

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

Yeah, I ve spent some time to read about how drivers work in Linux. Basically i just need proprietary driver for my videocard, and the rest will either work just fine or it won't at all, so why the hell not? If I can save up and spend good money just to play RW without problems, I can sure spare some ssd space for Ubuntu if gets me what I want)) Thanks for the advice =)

Bozobub

The only problem is setting up the dual-boot properly; Windows is SERIOUSLY obnoxious about this.  Make sure you read a lot before starting...
Thanks, belgord!

Madman666

Quote from: Bozobub on January 04, 2018, 11:22:06 AM
The only problem is setting up the dual-boot properly; Windows is SERIOUSLY obnoxious about this.  Make sure you read a lot before starting...

Yeah I was anticipating problems and read quite a bit about dual booting Linux and Windows. But it was remarkably easy actually. Ubuntu 17 installed alongside with Windows 10 without any kind of problems, I didn't even have to do much and now i can switch and both system work. Steam works fine, Rimworld works... I am getting crashes with videoplayers in Linux though, which is strange, but oh well, I'll just reboot to Windows, when I am in a mood to watch something or use Youtube, most importantly my Rimworld no longer has limited RAM, which is what I needed most. I still hope someday RW will adapt 64-bit architecture, so I won't need to dual boot, but for now it will do.

And Ubuntu itself looks and work quite nice, I can get used to it. Aside from mediaplayer bugs.

notfood

Nice to read that it worked well for you.

Weird that you areh aving media player bugs, try a different one. VLC?

Madman666

Quote from: notfood on January 04, 2018, 02:34:07 PM
Nice to read that it worked well for you.

Weird that you areh aving media player bugs, try a different one. VLC?

VLC works, but steadily freezes the system up after some time. Stock media player now works (i didn't install extra package, which had codecs, so duh it would work of course), but another problem is RW refuses to load additional sounds from mods if they are in mp3 format (media player plays mp3 fine after codecs were installed). I guess those are just weird quirks Linux has. For now only advice I got - to convert it to .ogg or .wav

Also one of the hundred+ mods I've got somehow shows wrong version and mod ID number instead of a title in my modlist. That same mod under Windows shows everything correctly. Deleting and resubbing didn't do a thing. Weird thing - this mod's content works fine in the game, only version information somehow got effed up.

SpaceDorf

As to mod related greed the number of Mods where Rimworld kicks the bucket seems to be around 300-330 mods ..

Also the Number of Folders in the Modfolder has nearly the same effect on the loading time of rimworld as has the Number of activated mods.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Madman666

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 05, 2018, 09:33:43 AM
As to mod related greed the number of Mods where Rimworld kicks the bucket seems to be around 300-330 mods ..

Also the Number of Folders in the Modfolder has nearly the same effect on the loading time of rimworld as has the Number of activated mods.

Thanks for the info. I won't be anywhere near 300+ anytime soon, so thats a relief. I am actually really surprised how good RW runs on Linux, except for weird inability to detect and load modded mp3 sounds. Things like map generation with 100+ mods happen like 2 times faster, using Reroll Map now is pure bliss. Not to mention that it really doesn't crash which is extremely nice.

Although I do get one more weird bug - Toggling roof visibility shows it in bright purple color instead of usual green for thin roofs and dark green for thick ones. Probably isn't anything relates to OS, I think, just some mods conflicting.

notfood

Yeah... the toogling is a unity issues. I've been meaning to fix it for a while with a patch mod...