Game Crashes When Trying to Load Game or Start a New Colony

Started by AmnesiaMark, January 04, 2018, 06:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmnesiaMark

I bought the game a couple days ago on steam. It's been a lot of fun, when I get to play it. However, like stated in my subject, the game has some sort of graphical bug that causes it to crash almost every time I load a game or start a new colony. The crash happens when the game tries to load the local map for the colony area. Attached is the error message that pops up.

I have tried basically everything I can think of to fix the issue. I absolutely have the latest drivers for my GPU, which is an AMD 8700 something. When the game does run it works just fine, so it shouldn't be because of an inability to run the game. I have tried a wide variety of changing the graphics options in the AMD Radeon settings, as well as setting different compatibility modes etc. The game is basically unplayable as it takes countless tries to get it running, although I have already played over 8hrs of the game because whenever it does load, it works fine as long as I don't turn it off.

I hope someone has some idea what to do to help fix this issue, as the game seems awesome and I can't wait to play more.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Calahan

Can you please post your log file (as an attachment) from when after this error message has appeared. Details on where to find your log file can be found here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0

And with regards to a possible solution, please try deleting the RimWorld registry entries using the script found in step 3 below. The registry entries for the game contain info/instructions about the screen resolution. And for whatever reason sometimes this gets stuck/fixed at a certain setting that can't be changed from in-game, and or messes up the game. So deleting them and forcing the game to recreate them should correct this (in theory).

If that fails then please try performing a full clean reinstall (which includes the above removing of registry entries. You can run the script twice without any worries, as if the registry entries don't exist then it'll simply find nothing to delete). Once you have reinstalled the game then please try playing a vanilla game for a while to check if the problem has been fixed. Mods shouldn't be causing this problem, but please don't use mods until you are reasonably sure the game is working properly (as from a troubleshooting/diagnosis PoV, the less things involved the better) .

How to Perform a Clean Reinstall

1. Reset RimWorld's configuration data by deleting all the RimWorld configuration files. You'll find them in one of the following folders (depending on your operation system):

Windows        C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config
Note 1: the AppData folder may be hidden.
Note 2: the RimWorld folder within LocalLow may differ for various users, see this thread
MacUsers/[username]/library/Application Support/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
Users/[username]/library/Caches/RimWorld/Config
Linux/home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config

2. Uninstall the game and delete the game files.
-If you ARE on Steam:
  A: Unsubscribe from all mods in the Workshop.
  B: In Steam library, right-click RimWorld and select Uninstall.
  C: Shut down Steam.
  D: Delete this folder (if it's there): Steam\SteamApps\common\RimWorld
  E: Delete this folder (if it's there): Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\294100
  F: Restart your PC.

3. [Windows only] Download and run Delete_RimWorld_Registry_entries.reg (right click the link and use Save Target As) and double-click it to delete all registry entries related to RimWorld.

5. Open Steam, install RimWorld and play.

If the game still doesn't work then please repeat the above, inserting the following two steps.

4. Disable virus protection programs (they occasionally flag RimWorld as a virus and kill it, since it was downloaded from the Internet).

6. Remember to re-enable your virus protection.
[/quote]

AmnesiaMark

Well, I did the full re-install as suggested by Calahan. It didn't make any difference, the first time I started the game I simply tried to load a game and it had the same error message as before. I haven't had any mods installed at any point, so I'm sure it's not a mod that is causing this problem.

I added the log that was requested to the original post's attachments.

Calahan

Thank you for the log file. The underlying error seems to be this:

D3D device reset failed [invalid call]

(Filename:  Line: 341)

Switching to resolution 1600x900 failed, trying lower one
D3D device reset failed [invalid call]

There's only been two other reports of this D3D device reset failed error before (only a quick search though). For one the user stopped posting, and for the other the cause was traced back to an overlay (from Play.tv) being the cause: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29324.msg296366#msg296366

There have been a number of technical issues caused by third party software in the past, in particular recording software and the Nvidia Share feature. The latter shouldn't apply to you because your log indicates you have an Intel GPU. But in the OP you said you have an AMD GPU, so it appears as if this is either not being used or not being detected properly. If you are using a laptop there should be a way (via AMD control panel) to force the game to use the AMD GPU. So please try doing that. If you are not using a laptop then I can only suggest reinstalling your AMD drivers again (as for whatever reason the game isn't using your AMD GPU).

I'm not familiar with what tools/features are available with an AMD GPU, but please can you check in the control panel (or however AMD options are accessed) for anything that might be connected to the screen in any way. Be it recording software, screen sharing, an overlay, basically anything that might have some control or influence over the screen/screen resolution. And disable said thing.

The likelihood is your problem is being caused by some third party software, or some feature of that software that is having some control or influence over the screen resolution. Like an overlay or recording tool. So please can you check what other programs you have running and see if shutting them down resolves this issue. Even if you are unsure about whether a particular third party program is causing this, please try shutting down everything non-essential because that will really help from a troubleshooting perspective.

If the cause still can't be found from above then can you please try running the game in windowed mode (or confirm that you have if you've already tried this). And if still no luck, please confirm that you are running the game with the English language setting, and if not try changing the game to English to see if that helps (for whatever reason having a non-English language setting has been the cause of several technical issues that shouldn't be related to the language setting at all, yet somehow are. So mentioning it so as to rule it out).

AmnesiaMark

Well, it seems to have been the Playstv thing for me too. I hate the fact that computers tend to get littered with these programs that nobody seems to use, and I'm getting kind of lazy since my computer is nearing the end of its life so I hadn't bothered with setting which programs to load on startup. Thanks, I hope some other people who might be having this problem find this thread in case they also have the Playstv overlay on.

About the other suggested fixes, well I already had set it to always use the AMD GPU with the program, and I've noticed that sometimes games/programs detect the gGPU incorrectly because the computer does also have an Intel GPU that it uses on power saver/when I'm working on light stuff like word docs.

Calahan

Good to hear the game is working properly again after finding the source of the problem. And we appreciate you posting again with an update (so that we know this issue is resolved).

Yes, it can be surprising and even alarming how many and how often PUP's and PUM's can build up on a computer. I like to think I run a pretty tight ship, and yet every couple of months I'll be uninstalling something, notice some unknown program on the list, and think "what the hell is that? And where the hell did it come from?". With the answer usually being that it was stealthily bundled and installed with some free software or the like. Which in turn shifts the problem to be one of trying to find a reliable source for 100% clean installers. Which shouldn't be that hard in theory, but in practice... usually is.

Systems with dual-GPU's can often have problems with getting programs to use the dedicated GPU. I know Nvidia has the option to add "run with graphics processor>" to the right-click context menu to force usage of one or the other. Which I've found is a lot more reliable than relying on the control panel settings to handle this. Not sure if AMD has the same/similar functionality or not though.

nccvoyager

So the Unity "D3DDevice" errors can also be caused by overlays and "overlay injection" processes...
Well, yet another thing to add to the list.
(At least the Steam overlay doesn't seem to cause it. Yet.)

@Calahan; Off topic, unimportant, sleep-deprived ramblings ahead.
It's a little ironic, perhaps, that a lot of the computers that I work on for people I know, (who tend to "creatively" acquire their games and such,) actually have very little malware, PUP, and PUM.
On the flip side, the systems that I work on that are on the up-and-up actually tend to have a plethora of malware, PUP, and PUM, mainly acquired through freeware installers, not knowing that a program is harmful, or even just through legitimate installers. (Microsoft and McAfee are the most notorious examples of "legitimate" installers that bundle PUP and PUM, in my opinion. Bing this, Bing that, and the crap McAfee bundles with their crappy AV software... Amazes me people still pay for that crap. Also, in terms of not knowing a program is harmful... Crap like paid "registry cleaners" are just... Your registry will never be clean unless you wipe the HDD and clean install. Any program that says otherwise is lying to you. I mean... It's like trying to remove a fart from a room. You can use a vacuum all you want, but unless you remove all the air from the room, at least some of it will still be there.)
Maybe something to do with their ability with computers being at a different level?
(Equivalent of someone that can top up the oil in their car compared to someone who can change the oil completely? The second is objectively better at car maintenance, but still isn't a mechanic.)

In other news, I have accumulated a bit of debt, so I might not be around much for a month or two.
Man, I wish Telus provided broadband where I live...