more naming variety

Started by tmo97, January 04, 2018, 01:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmo97

Please. Not all primitive civilizations lived in south america. Please stop naming everything xiuacoxiagoxiaeljefe itluahican oxoxox. I'm tired of seeing everything mexicanized. Please add some variety so I don't get my vibe broken by a reminder that you live in america.

if there was a sombrero emoticon it'd be here now.

Tynan

Fair enough to ask for more variety. But it should be noted that:

-I don't live in America.
-Spanish language is not Mexican... it's Spanish. Like, from Spain.
-RimWorld tribal names aren't based on Spanish anyway.

So you can hold the sombrero for now. Not that I don't love sombreros.

But again, yeah, it would be cool if there was some more variety in naming patterns.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Boston

They are actually faux-Spanish. It is yet another aspect of Rimworld's "Space Western" theme I so despise.

Why not throw some actual Native American into the mix, especially when tribes come from different biomes?

Temperate and Boreal forests could be Algonquin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algonquian_languages)
Rainforest could be Muskogean (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskogean_languages)
Arid Shrubland and Desert could be Uto-Aztecan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uto-Aztecan_languages)
Tundra and Ice Sheet/Sea Ice could be Eskimo-Aleut (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo%E2%80%93Aleut_languages)

Of course, you could go the "realistic" route and have their names and suchike be little more than degenerated English. Considering how the colonists and the tribes speak the same language and all.

Tynan

RimWorld tribal names aren't faux-Spanish. They're based on a specific small language that actually exists, and it's not Spanish (though it's from the same region of Europe).

I'd love to add other language groups some day.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

MajorFordson

Okay now you've given too much info and The Internet will want to figure out what you've used Tynan!

Is it Basque? Ancient Iberian?

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

tmo97

Well alright, I assumed you it wasn't Spanish because I've really only seen the same x's get used in Mexican words. Spanish looks very different to me. I also assumed you were American because it's the only place I know of where solely English and Spanish are spoken as main languages.

Either way, using just an English set and 1 other Spanish set still seems weird. I thought it was cool how every bit of land gets a name, but it just kind of breaks my RP style to either live in generic english-land or in espanol tribe town.

"Why not throw some actual Native American into the mix, especially when tribes come from different biomes?"

Yeah, because that wouldn't make the american feeling worse, lol.
But if it comes along with other stuff, I'd not mind :D
What about tribe languages from different regions in the world?
You could also add some ancient languages, which would fit the tribe thing even better imo.

SpaceDorf

Actually Ludeon is based in the nice country where they speak french and english.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

ethouiche

It seems quite easy to create a mod to add names. Show us the way tmo97 senpai pls.

jamaicancastle

Quote from: ethouiche on January 10, 2018, 06:38:03 AM
It seems quite easy to create a mod to add names. Show us the way tmo97 senpai pls.
It's actually really easy, if you're curious. Your mod would have three parts: a RulePackDef, some NameBanks, and a FactionDef.

The RulePackDef has two parts: one is a collection of syntaxes, the other is a group of file references. The first part is essentially a list of options: "when making a name according to this rule, you can have (A) (B). Or you can have (A) (A). Or you can have (A) '(C)' (B). Or..." and so on. The second part takes the (A), (B), and so on, and refers each one to a NameBank from which to draw names. NameBanks are .txt files. All they are is lists of strings (names, in this case), each on its own line. When the rule is referred to a NameBank, it picks a line at random. That's all.

So for the simplest case, where you have a list of first names, a list of last names, and every pawn gets one of each, you need a rule pack that has one rule: first name followed by last name. Then it refers to two NameBanks, one with all your first names, the other with all your last names. Finally, you have a FactionDef - literally the existing Tribal def with your namer pasted in instead of the existing one. (You could overwrite the existing Tribals or, with a trivial change, have the two coexist.)

The hardest part is honestly getting a decent list of names in the first place.

Texaskimo

Quote from: tmo97 on January 04, 2018, 01:06:24 PM
Please. Not all primitive civilizations lived in south america. Please stop naming everything xiuacoxiagoxiaeljefe itluahican oxoxox. I'm tired of seeing everything mexicanized. Please add some variety so I don't get my vibe broken by a reminder that you live in america.

if there was a sombrero emoticon it'd be here now.

Mexico is not in South America.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Boston on January 08, 2018, 12:20:49 AM
It is yet another aspect of Rimworld's "Space Western" theme I so despise.

What theme would you rather have RimWorld be?

Ser Kitteh

What's wrong with the Space Western theme?

If anything Rimworld needs more Space Western in it. Saloon doors, repeaters, maybe riding animals, etc.

Like, it took until B18 to have revolvers. That's waaaaaay too long IMO. Had it not been for the music, I wouldn't peg it for a western.

ethouiche

Quote from: jamaicancastle on January 10, 2018, 08:45:12 AM
Quote from: ethouiche on January 10, 2018, 06:38:03 AM
It's actually really easy, if you're curious. Your mod would have three parts: a RulePackDef, some NameBanks, and a FactionDef.
[...]

The hardest part is honestly getting a decent list of names in the first place.

Thank you senpai. Like this ? Oh wait it was already done before your advices. Sorry senpai.