Restricting allowed area doesn't cancel hunting task

Started by mountainmen1, January 04, 2018, 09:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainmen1

When a raid comes I often restrict everyone's allowed area to safe zone surrounded by walls. As per title, if the colonist has an active hunting task outside that area, he carries on despite the fact that animal is now outside. I think it may also happen with some other tasks but this is the only one I'm sure of; you might want to test different activities to see what exactly needs to be fixed.

Calahan

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if it is then IMO it's a very useful one!

Because I will quite often have my Pawns set to an allowed area when in and around my base, but will want something hauled from outside that area into it. In which case I can just pause the game, unrestrict the Pawn, order the hauling job, unpause and then set the Pawn back to their allowed area. Result: The Pawn will perform the hauling job and then resume obeying their allowed area as before.

If a Pawn checked that their current job is inside their allowed area either at regular intervals (which would hit performance), or the moment you change their allowed area (less performance hit), then in my above example I would have to watch and babysit that Pawn all the way to the hauling job, and then also back to the stockpile (before I could switch him back to his allowed area again). Which is a lot of additional babysitting compared to the zero babysitting currently required.

So I can see your "against" argument for how this current works, but I can also see my "for" argument. Obviously this is one for the devs to decide, but either way it's likely that one side of the argument will lose out.

SpaceDorf

As far as I know Zone restrictions are only checked when looking for a job.

While fulfilling a job those borderds are no longer checked.
A Pawn will gladly cross areas outside the zone if it is neccesary.

The best examples is when the zone consists of two unconnected areas or parts of the zone are only reachable by crossing through unzoned areas.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

NeverPire

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 10, 2018, 09:26:30 AM
The best examples is when the zone consists of two unconnected areas or parts of the zone are only reachable by crossing through unzoned areas.
I would like just to add that in this circumstance, pawns will try to travel trough the maximum of autorized area, leading them to make detours in some cases so restricted area are still take into account.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.