Alpha4d difficulty

Started by Tynan, June 03, 2014, 01:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In Alpha4d (build 462), how difficult did you find Cassandra Classic?

Too hard - I got destroyed, it seemed unfair
15 (45.5%)
Really hard, but beatable
10 (30.3%)
Normal - a challenge, but nothing crazy
5 (15.2%)
Easy - I wasn't really threatened
0 (0%)
Too easy - nothing could touch me
3 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Leffa

Sorry if my english is not perfect. I tried to play a game twice, but both have been defeated! In the first three waves, I could defend myself very well, I was very glad to have captured five raiders because it was too complicated on A3. But in the fourth wave, i was defeated both times by mechanoid. It was very fast! Each wave of shot killed a settler, while the other mechanoid destroyed my turrets.

It was frustrating, but I believe a fix will coming ... The mechanoids have much life, for to come attack us in the fourth wave and at first our power makes us casualties easy.

Again I'm sorry for my english.

Mattk50

Im aware this isnt exactly relevant to this thread anymore, but im noticing that the game egts far too easy now in alpha4e. I just sit here with now 9 colonists, occassionally capturing a wanderer and fending off barely challenging raids of mostly pistol pirates. This is on cassandra classic, so im not sure what thats about.

Also i've not once been visited by a slaver ship. nooot once. Something seems off. im in a large map if that makes a difference. My colony wealth says its at 20000 right now, and strength is at 12.6. I havent payed attention to whether my wealth is increasing, it may not be as i do spend a lot of metal rebuilding turrets even on the easily defeated raids, as i use them as mines. Still feel that it should be ramping up anytime soon now, day 106 but still no challenge.

Tynan

Quote from: Mattk50 on June 04, 2014, 07:20:00 AM
Im aware this isnt exactly relevant to this thread anymore, but im noticing that the game egts far too easy now in alpha4e. I just sit here with now 9 colonists, occassionally capturing a wanderer and fending off barely challenging raids of mostly pistol pirates. This is on cassandra classic, so im not sure what thats about.

Also i've not once been visited by a slaver ship. nooot once. Something seems off. im in a large map if that makes a difference. My colony wealth says its at 20000 right now, and strength is at 12.6. I havent payed attention to whether my wealth is increasing, it may not be as i do spend a lot of metal rebuilding turrets even on the easily defeated raids, as i use them as mines. Still feel that it should be ramping up anytime soon now, day 106 but still no challenge.

You you post your savegame for me?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Abadayos

I got to day 37 before I got wiped out by 2 raids within 2 days of each other (10 raiders or some sort and then 2 centipedes). Didn't get a chance to fix up my defenses or turrets. My injured where too weak to be of much use and died pretty quickly followed by my healthy people then the colony got fire bombed to hell.

the lead ups where 2 tribal raids first one was with a bow from memory and the other was 4 with rocks and a bow.

A solution I feel would be to have some weapons scattered around the map like the ration packs at the start. This would make defense against the 3rd/4th wave easier which is where it seems most are having issues. The issue we are having is 2 easy waves with few/no weapons to arm new people then followed by 2 rapid follow up raids that usually seem to be armed with higher tech weapons or be robots with crazy HP compared to weapons available to harm them and their DPS output.

It is fun but the 30-40 day brick wall is kind of disheartening.

Note: This is from the 462 update and not the one that was pushed outa very short time ago, so if they has be modified  in the new hotfix then cool, I just am not goign to download it right now due to download limits.

Mattk50

Sure. this is now 20 days afterwards though, the raids have started stepping up again, and im getting pirates groups that are half sniper and my first group of 2 mechanoids. So you may not have to adjust much
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16970274/Land%20Softly%202.zip

Though, i think i managed to cause that intentionally, i tried to make it happen by increasing my stocks and hording material, and i set up a mining operation into the mountain behind me that boosted my colony value by 4000 or so. Dunno i feel like raids should naturally increase in difficulty even if you arent trying to horde materials.

Tynan

Voting locked since the game is now at Alpha4e. I'll make another poll.

Tynan

Mattk50: I checked your savegame. It does look like you're getting about 750-point raids, which can mean multiple triplets of mercs and snipers. But I guess this isn't tough enough? Also, apparently you took some damage around day 80. Can you remember what that was?

Mattk50

I played the last alpha4d and got steamrolled by a sudden very large raid around day 40, so im not sure how difficult it's supposed to be now. the challenge did step up in that savegame since my first post, as i've started mining and trying to increase the wealth rating, but i could have just sat there surviving easily forever if i hadn't.

around day 80 i think was just another pirate raid that took out my forward exposed turrets. i dont remember taking any real damage from any raids so far. maybe it was a battery explosion? i had one or two of those. around day 110 one of the mostly sniper raids finally managed to knock one of my people unconscious and i had to rescue him.

edit: oh maybe it was the time my forward solar panel got taken out by my own guy's grenade. i have solar panels out in front of my defenses because they arent really at risk as long as you dont put them where you expect your enemies to find cover.

Dutch2005

how to get the E version of alpha4? only have a Download link for the D version...

Tynan

Quote from: Dutch2005 on June 04, 2014, 04:26:01 PM
how to get the E version of alpha4? only have a Download link for the D version...

Your link will give you E, unless your browser is caching something.

RandyIsAwesome

Info about my last savepoint:
Day: 145
Colonists: 8
Raids: 11
Version: 4D
Story: Cassandra Classic

So, my bits about the newest Version are:
It has gotten a lot harder. The last wave I had to defeat was with about 24 Raiders, all equipped with something from Uzi's, to R4's and so on. Mine had Pistols, 2 M4's and 2 Uzi's - I reloaded about 5 times from my last savepoint, hoping that a weaker wave would come, but I had no luck and had to upgrade all my colonists to Shooting 20 by manipulating the Save-File.

About the Gameplay: Has something changed with the way they attack? I usually dig my colony in the mountain, the only tunnel leading outside is one wide and goes into death-zone where my colonists wait in a halfcircle to kill all incoming raiders - it usually worked really well, but with this update most of the raiders seem to ignore the tunnel and go straight for my Generators that are extremly well protected by stone walls (from inside to outside: Metal, Empty, Stone, Stone, 3x Empty, Stone, Stone, Surrounded by 4 metal floors) - and they usually destroy more than half of the defense I built there before I can defeat them. They not only attack the doors, they even go through the walls now - something that has never happened to me before.

Humanoids: Came waaay to early. I had three colonists, two with pistols, one with a lee, and sending in that monster with this rocket-like thing that makes huge balls of fire was close to impossible to defeat, took me 4 or 5 reloads before it went down. And again, went through my Stone walls like they didn't even exist.

In my opinion, the things that would make it more fair are:
Strength of Stone walls set back to 1000 instead of the 400
Humanoids sent in later and not as second or third wave
If the way they attack has been changed, I prefered the old one - it offered a more defensive way to deal with the raiders, which has become impossible with the new update (even though I can understand if some people prefer the new one - I guess I am just more of a defensive player)

But anyway, thank you for countless hours of incredible fun, Tynan! The game is great and I love it so far!

dd0029

Quote from: RandyIsAwesome on June 04, 2014, 05:13:17 PM
Strength of Stone walls set back to 1000 instead of the 400

I missed that. That explains why they seem much easier to get through. They are.