For those who interested, hay beats rice

Started by UMK, January 07, 2018, 04:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UMK

I've allowed hay to be grown in hydroponics with simple xml edit, because obtaining high quantities of hay is near to impossible on ocean ice sheet and figured out that hay beats rice even in hydroponic tray because:

* needs less micro from farmers - longer growing period

* needs no refrigerated storage

* larger stack size

* larger nutrition per day - 0.169 vs 0.148 of rice

Bozobub

Wait; colonists can eat hay..?!  Or are you using this to supply a nutrient paste dispenser/feed animals?
Thanks, belgord!

notfood

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: notfood on January 07, 2018, 06:45:33 PM
Colonists don't eat hay...
This comment is appropriate for your name.

But yes, the OP seems to be mistaking Hay for Human-Food, which it is not.  Do you eat grass?  I do not.
If you are trying to keep animals on Sea-Ice, then Hay could be helpful there, but you can feed them Rice (or better yet, Simple Meals made from Rice) in any case.

Also, Hay has a 60% fertility sensitivity, so it only receives a fraction of the growth bonus that Rice does in Hydroponics.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Boston

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on January 07, 2018, 08:51:00 PM
Quote from: notfood on January 07, 2018, 06:45:33 PM
Colonists don't eat hay...
This comment is appropriate for your name.

But yes, the OP seems to be mistaking Hay for Human-Food, which it is not.  Do you eat grass?  I do not.
If you are trying to keep animals on Sea-Ice, then Hay could be helpful there, but you can feed them Rice (or better yet, Simple Meals made from Rice) in any case.

Also, Hay has a 60% fertility sensitivity, so it only receives a fraction of the growth bonus that Rice does in Hydroponics.

Technically...... humans totally eat grass.

Have you eaten anything made from wheat, barley, oats, rye, maize or rice recently? All cereal-crops are grass that has been selected to produce large seeds. If you let your lawn-grass go to seed, you can technically take the seeds and eat them, though it would be a pain in the ass to do so.

Also technically, all 'hay' is is the stalk of the cereal-grass. Humans can't eat it, so we feed it to animals as fodder.

Rimworld crops make no fucking sense. Hay is used as animal-fodder, yet we can't grow any grain other than maize or rice. You make beer by fermenting hops, although hops are literally nothing more than a flavorant and a preservative in reality. Crops also behave entirely opposite what they do in reality.

.... This is why I play with Vegetable Garden.

Kirby23590

In vanilla game. Hay beats Rice? Yes...

Do humans eat hay raw? No! Grass-eating animals like eating hay!

But we make barley or wheat in farms and we don't eat them but... We turn them into bread and people eat bread...

I like vegetable garden. I think bread making should be part of rimworld.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Bozobub

Hay beats rice in "vanilla", ONLY for animal feed or as nutrient paste hopper material, and also ONLY if you have no hydroponics, but have a nutrient paste dispenser.  Otherwise, as noted above, rice will easily outperform hay, with good soil/hydroponics.

That said, unless you're in an extreme environment and/or an OCD minmaxer, it really doesn't matter all that much ;).
Thanks, belgord!

SpaceDorf

Colonists will eat kibble which can be made from hay  ;D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Bozobub

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 08, 2018, 04:24:39 AM
Colonists will eat kibble which can be made from hay  ;D
Sure, and thanks for the reminder, but that's similar to the nutrient paste dispenser; you must *process* the hay to make it edible.  You also need other ingredients, IIRC; I never bother with the stuff, so apologies if I have that bass-ackwards ^^'.  So you're adding more materials AND you're still depending on a much less fertile crop.

It just doesn't pan out, at least in just about any reasonable scenario I can come up with, even if I'm incorrect about kibble's recipe.  And I'm glad; who plays RimWorld for its simplicity, right..?
Thanks, belgord!

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Bozobub on January 08, 2018, 06:02:05 AM
It just doesn't pan out, at least in just about any reasonable scenario I can come up with, even if I'm incorrect about kibble's recipe.  And I'm glad; who plays RimWorld for its simplicity, right..?

Right :)
I just wanted mention kibble for the sake of completeness.

The debuff for Pawns eating Kibble is nearly as bad, or worse than Cannibalism, which makes the whole things totally not worth it.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

UMK

Guys, did you read the OP?

By the power of math I found out that even when grown in hydro tray hay still beats rice by whooing 15%

So if you are squeezing watts to feed livestock (for whatever reason) that's a valid option.

Hans Lemurson

Ah, I see, I missed the "even in hydroponics" part.

I'm still going to be annoyingly pedantic and insist that because Rice can be cooked into Simple Meals for a 1.8x boost in nutrition, it still beats Hay which can at best be multiplied by 1.25x when turned into Kibble.

But if you are trying to avoid micromanagement, and just want to feed your Sea-Ice Muffalo with raw vegetables, then Hay is indeed superior fodder to Rice.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Kirby23590

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 08, 2018, 08:20:57 AM
Quote from: Bozobub on January 08, 2018, 06:02:05 AM

Right :)
I just wanted mention kibble for the sake of completeness.

The debuff for Pawns eating Kibble is nearly as bad, or worse than Cannibalism, which makes the whole things totally not worth it.

But what about the prisoners? The ones that... You know are the ones who killed your favorite colonist or the good ones...

We can give them prisoners kibble mixed with hay and hummie meat from their friends or insect meat from that bug infestation incident from the mines.
And give it to them and watch get stressed and then go in a mental break smashing the doors before we start harvest their organs...

Or at least use the nutrient paste dispenser giving them hay meals to show them not to mess with the colony... *Insert iconic evil villain laugh*  ;D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Harry_Dicks

So you can put hay in a dispenser? Can you use a NutriPaste Dispenser for animals, that they will automatically feed themselves? If not, I think that would be a freaking awesome mod. An animal feed dispenser, it could even use the same graphic maybe just a different color for now, and you could select certain times of the day it works, feed levels, certain animals can or cannot use it, or specific animals from their species, and I'm sure all kinds of other stuff. There's also the Animal Husbandry mod, but I was getting a lot of errors with it and haven't gotten back around to trying to get it to work. That doesn't feed the animals automatically by itself I don't think, though. Maybe this new "animal feeder" could mix up ingredients like a nutripaste dispenser, or just let the animals eat the stuff stored in it, like kibble, hay, pellets (from Animal Husbandry), etc.

I swear I'm spending too much time on these forums dreaming of, installing, updating, and just talking about mods, more than I play the game! ;D

Bozobub

I never have used the nutrient paste dispenser, honestly, but I *imagine* that, just like normal prepared meals, that animals will probably eat the stuff.  Anyone have a definite answer?
Thanks, belgord!