[Coding help request] [B18] Produceable Tanks, caravan use and combat

Started by Chicken Plucker, January 07, 2018, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicken Plucker

Update:
me, Swenzi and Albion has formed a "Justice League Avengers Initiative" in Discord since Swenzi is working on a vehicles mod and he has offered to merge both our ideas into one.

If you are interested in joining this Justice League Avengers Initiative, please contact me so we can add you in our discord watchtower motherbase avengers tower clubhouse!

I will do all the texture work, ready to also do most if not all of the .xml.

The problem is, I don't know where to begin with C#, I'm willing to pay the coder with little money I have if that's what they want, but if you don't accept money I can trade art for help.

The idea is to take parts from ChJees' android mod in terms of pawn production, but with tanks, made from the game's mechanoid race instead of colonists.

bullet points of what the features should be:

- Produceable tanks (Mechanoid-like, just reskins with custom weapons)
- tanks can be drafted
- tanks can be taken for caravan trips
- tanks will not show up as colonists
- tanks will be produced with a weapon connected to their tags so they do not get produced unarmed
- Will not be using any vehicles mod or race mod as base
- Instead of medicine, the tanks are repaired using construction stat, same as how walls are repaired

Please message me if you are interested and available to help with this.

SpaceDorf

Hi Chicken, I would love to help you with that, because that will become a very awesome mod and would include the Production of Colony Mechanoids.
But I do not have the knowledge and talent myself.

But.

SargeBjornsons' GeneticRim would be the perfect starting point for this project.
The production of Different Species in a Workshop, combined with the production aspect of ChJees' Androids Mod.
GeneticRim has also the ability to draft and control animals and give them special powers ( which in your case could be special weapons .. )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Albion

It all sounds very manageable and I would love to help you except for the medicine part.
I guess that's doable too but will require quite a bit of good coding.

It's a good opportunity though to get a better understanding of Rimworld and it's core coding.

Harry_Dicks

- tanks can be drafted
- tanks can be taken for caravan trips
- tanks will not show up as colonists

I never really thought about that before, but that sounds awesome. Hypothetically, you could swap those around to be robot "sentries" as well right, that could be drafted? I have a RimWorld fantasy in my head where you have sentries/guard duty (for my Real FoW and Darkness mods.) After browsing the "Will never be in RimWorld" list and seeing how guarding/sentry was on it, it would make a lot more sense for a robot to do it, instead of a pawn who is essentially not being productive all day. Now if only you could have some sort of patrol function with it, or scheduled, guard specific patrol schedules. I know, I know, this is all getting to be too much. But a boy can dream, can't he?!

Jaxxa

Sounds interesting, and mechanically similar to a Mech mod that I have had the idea for rattling around on the todo list for a while now, so I would be interesting in working on it. I have a few things that I will want to finish first but I would be happy to start working out ideas in detail.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Jaxxa on January 09, 2018, 06:02:20 PM
Sounds interesting, and mechanically similar to a Mech mod that I have had the idea for rattling around on the todo list for a while now, so I would be interesting in working on it. I have a few things that I will want to finish first but I would be happy to start working out ideas in detail.

Ooooh a mech mod, please tell us more!

Jaxxa

Nothing has ever happened with it so far. Would need a lot of Art and Codeing.
The Basics of it sound like what you want to do with tanks with a few additions.

I was thnking that a Colonist would need to be placed inside the Mech, they would be treated like they were in Crypto Sleep, saying the Mech incudes Life Support and uses a neural link to be controled.
Similar to Starcraft Dragoons or 40K Dreadnaughts a badly injured colonsit or who is not good for anything else can continue to fight from the Mech.

I was then thinking that it would be customisable, being able so swap out different weapons / systems /arms. With a system inspired by Fallout 4 Power Armor, Mechawarrior or the Magnum Opus from the Mad Max game. So they could get stronger and more specialized as time goes on.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Jaxxa on January 09, 2018, 07:31:04 PM
Nothing has ever happened with it so far. Would need a lot of Art and Codeing.
The Basics of it sound like what you want to do with tanks with a few additions.

I was thnking that a Colonist would need to be placed inside the Mech, they would be treated like they were in Crypto Sleep, saying the Mech incudes Life Support and uses a neural link to be controled.
Similar to Starcraft Dragoons or 40K Dreadnaughts a badly injured colonsit or who is not good for anything else can continue to fight from the Mech.

I was then thinking that it would be customisable, being able so swap out different weapons / systems /arms. With a system inspired by Fallout 4 Power Armor, Mechawarrior or the Magnum Opus from the Mad Max game. So they could get stronger and more specialized as time goes on.

Oooh man, that sounds so awesome. Modular mech suits! I really want that missile launcher, it launches maybe 10 small missiles that sort of spread out a bit initially, then they all home in on their target!

Jaxxa

Yeah, there is a lot of potential for things that could be done, just need to figure out how to implement it in game.

SpaceDorf

I think jecrell might have included a few of those functions into jecstools allready.

Funny enough some of those Ideas sounds a lot like something I would have liked to add to OhU's Dropships
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

ChaosChronicler

Harry_Dicks

ChaosChronicler

sorry, can't code worth sh*t. And I'm more of an artist than anything. Though resent events proved that doing more complicated buildings prove difficult. But sure as hell can draw up pawns, weapons, bits and the like.

Chicken Plucker

Hello! I have updated the front page, I am sorry for my long silence here but I have been away updating!

I gotten in contact with superheroes like Swenzi and Albion, they have slowly been training and teaching me C#. If you are willing to pitch in and join this superhero superjustice super duper scooper pooper, please message me!

I'm going to PM those who have offered help in this thread, and thank you for showing interest in this everyone, I have actually looked into every advice that was given, but if it weren't for Albion and Swenzi, this wouldn't have kicked off

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Chicken Plucker on January 12, 2018, 12:59:26 PM
Hello! I have updated the front page, I am sorry for my long silence here but I have been away updating!

I gotten in contact with superheroes like Swenzi and Albion, they have slowly been training and teaching me C#. If you are willing to pitch in and join this superhero superjustice super duper scooper pooper, please message me!

I'm going to PM those who have offered help in this thread, and thank you for showing interest in this everyone, I have actually looked into every advice that was given, but if it weren't for Albion and Swenzi, this wouldn't have kicked off

Thanks Albion, Swenzi, and of course Chicken Plucker! Can't wait to see what you guys come out with next! :D