Modding Video Games

Started by Xeno360, January 08, 2018, 01:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xeno360

Hi Guys! This is aimed towards anyone with experience in programming, game design, etc.

I am a full time software developer and I have been dabbling with Unity 3D for about 10 years now. My question to the people here is, Does anyone know how the heck Tynan got DLLs to compile at runtime and be used in game? I assume there are standard methods that are called that run the code... But, how does the game read/compile/import these to begin with? I believe Tynan created with game with Unity3D correct? In my experience, you can dump code into a Plugins folder to allow access to it on the fly, but it does not look like this is what was done here.. Considering there is a "Mods" folders, and the DLLs are stored there.

I understand the whole XML parsing / serializing / deserializing and building these into a predefined object structure as I do this every day when running web applications. (Passing around JSON from services, to desktop or browsers). I just don't understand how the game recognizes foreign code though.

I ask this, because I have been developing a 2D indie space sandbox (xcom-like) video game and I would love to have the know-how to add features such as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrzOipGhKgc

This may be the wrong place to post and ask this, but anyone with any knowledge on this would be very appreciated if they dropped me a reply!
Thanks!  ;)

notfood

Decompile the code, check Verse.ModAssemblyHandler and Verse.ModContentPack

It uses: AppDomain.CurrentDomain.Load (rawAssembly);

Xeno360

Ah, very cool. I've never had to touch that part of .NET before. I'll investigate into that further. Thanks a ton!

CarmaSmitherman

Which languages do you use to build this game?
It is so amazing that you are taking such initiative, actually, I also like to play a video game.