chemfuel explosion when attacked in melee which doesn't make any sense.

Started by mightyhuhn, January 08, 2018, 06:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyhuhn

i here to talk about chemfuel and the fact that it can explode when attacked in melee which is pretty much impossible...
even when put on fire it is hard to make it explode(it needs special conditions so it can explode). it should burn and it should burn for a really real long time when set on fire and spread fast but it should not explode when hit with a fist in melee.

Bozobub

I think you're making some rather unwarranted assumptions about what "chemfuel" actually is.  Not that I'd think any sane person would actually do so, mind you — it's used as a high-explosive, extremely efficient rocket fuel — but it could even be hydrazine (N2H4), which is relatively simple to make from almost any hydrocarbon, with a little nitrogen thrown in.  Even rendered-down animal carcasses and plants would work, a la RimWorld, combined with nitrogen from the air.

Now, I'm not saying any sane (or at least not stupid) colony would use something quite so dangerously reactive and poisonous, mind you!  Nonetheless, expecting any advanced, efficient fuel to act exactly like modern-day analogues isn't particularly reasonable ^^'.

I'm also NOT saying you're wrong; perhaps chemfuel was *intended* to act just like gasoline/diesel/alcohol/etc.  I'm just saying that even if it wasn't, this behavior isn't particularly inconsistent with the rest of the game's lore and logic.  Hopefully someone who knows more about the game's guts will help clear that up...
Thanks, belgord!

Dashthechinchilla

It is consistent with in game logic. After all, boom animals explode. Also, a physical impact can generate a spark. But, it is true, if Chemfuel is like real world gasoline or kerosen, then it should only be explosive if mixed in the air.

As a side note, red cans are typically used for gasoline, blue for kerosen.

Jimyoda

Actually when chemfuel was first added it actually didn't explode at all. It was reported as a bug and fixed.
See https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31145.0
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/